Removing windows

Garth

Reaction score
Credits
Good day all, I need a little help please. I use my laptop for home use and a little for work and I have cinnamon installed alongside win10. I am happy with cinnamon and want to remove win10 off my pc completely. Trouble is I am scared to mess something up. Would really appreciate any advice or even teamviewer help. Thanks in advance

if your PC is uefi there will be a circa 100mb partition of EF00 basically fat32 dont remove that !

My guess if you have Windows 10 is that your PC is 64 bit and has uefi on the motherboard

Also it really depends how you have your boot configured. if you installed cinnamon last after Windows with probably grub then thats now controlling the menu options to boot from.

if its mbr it could be first stage grub mbr and 2nd stage on the first part of the partition where you installed cinamon, depends how you did it .

It wouldn't do any harm to fire up gParted take a screen shot and post here for us to have a look. i'm still waking up so can't think of anything else at the moment

Captain here is the screen shot
Screenshot from 2020-08-27 10-32-37.png

if your PC is uefi there will be a circa 100mb partition of EF00 basically fat32 dont remove that !

My guess if you have Windows 10 is that your PC is 64 bit and has uefi on the motherboard

Also it really depends how you have your boot configured. if you installed cinnamon last after Windows with probably grub then thats now controlling the menu options to boot from.

if its mbr it could be first stage grub mbr and 2nd stage on the first part of the partition where you installed cinamon, depends how you did it .

It wouldn't do any harm to fire up gParted take a screen shot and post here for us to have a look. i'm still waking up so can't think of anything else at the moment

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-08-27 10-32-37.png
    Screenshot from 2020-08-27 10-32-37.png
    366.8 KB · Views: 303
yep you see /dev/sda1 the EFI leave that alone that basically confirms your PC is using uefi

popping out so only having a quick look . theres a lot of data partition /dev/sda4 -/dev/sda7
?

before you do anything - your using Mint Cinnamon ? yes first thing search tutorials probably by Wiz or Rob for " TimeShift" /dev/sda8 and /dev/sda9 is your Mint ? can not see boot flags right side of image but that should be on /dev/sda1

probably get more answers . in theory if things go bad and Mint partitions are intact and there is a boot problem ,you should be able to use grub rescue or something like rEFInd to get cinamon back up .

yep you see /dev/sda1 the EFI leave that alone that basically confirms your PC is using uefi

popping out so only having a quick look . theres a lot of data partition /dev/sda4 -/dev/sda7
?

before you do anything - your using Mint Cinnamon ? yes first thing search tutorials probably by Wiz or Rob for " TimeShift" /dev/sda8 and /dev/sda9 is your Mint ? can not see boot flags right side of image but that should be on /dev/sda1

probably get more answers . in theory if things go bad and Mint partitions are intact and there is a boot problem ,you should be able to use grub rescue or something like rEFInd to get cinamon back up .
I have managed to remove win10 but now its unallocated. Question is how to make mint my only OS and give it access to the whole hard drive?
Screenshot from 2020-08-27 12-49-16.png

You'll need to boot from a live CD/USB and fire up GParted on the live session to resize /dev/sda4. Linux Mint must have /dev/sda4 mounted in order to access system files and run, so you can't resize it from your installed OS.

Yes I agree with @LorenDB but one thing i noticed but was in a rush to leave ; does anybody see a SWAP partition? partitions look odd and messy to me. Wifes Windows 10 is only 30 gig and it looks like OP has over 100Gig what in heavens is on there? also 10 gig for data partition ?

Last edited:
oki have a little more time. This is what my laptop partitions .look like - its a lean machine running Slackware. The key points are probably initially it only had Windows 10 , it has uefi firmware and I wiped it to put Slackware on.

Since i came back i see you deleted Windows. The winre_drv and associated are windows recovery partitions so unless you want to put windows back maybe immaterial now .

Depending on how long you have been running Mint and what stuff you have on it , i would be tempted to delete /dev/sda2 onwards and re-install Mint cinamon . Then using gparted put as /dev/sda2 say a 3 gig swap (of file type swap) then that would leave /dev/sda3 /dev/sda4 for maybe root and home of circa 40-50 gig leaving plenty for root.

So what LorenDB was saying is that if you have Mint cinamon booted up it means it will have fiel system mounted and to use gparted all partitions must be un-mounted. If you use gParted from the live Mint OS then the hard drive will be unmounted so then you can work on it from the usb live OS.

I suspect you may have gone a bit futher prior to this post let us know how you get on

Attachments

• partitions.png
    partitions.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 310
oki have a little more time. This is what my laptop partitions .look like - its a lean machine running Slackware. The key points are probably initially it only had Windows 10 , it has uefi firmware and I wiped it to put Slackware on.

Since i came back i see you deleted Windows. The winre_drv and associated are windows recovery partitions so unless you want to put windows back maybe immaterial now .

Depending on how long you have been running Mint and what stuff you have on it , i would be tempted to delete /dev/sda2 onwards and re-install Mint cinamon . Then using gparted put as /dev/sda2 say a 3 gig swap (of file type swap) then that would leave /dev/sda3 /dev/sda4 for maybe root and home of circa 40-50 gig leaving plenty for root.

So what LorenDB was saying is that if you have Mint cinamon booted up it means it will have fiel system mounted and to use gparted all partitions must be un-mounted. If you use gParted from the live Mint OS then the hard drive will be unmounted so then you can work on it from the usb live OS.

I suspect you may have gone a bit futher prior to this post let us know how you get on
LOL, I have no real idea what you are saying, am a novice. I started with win10 then 2yrs later I installed Ubuntu alongside to try it. Was told mint was better for me so I installed it alongside too. Am happy with mint so would like to get rid of everything else. I despise microsoft.

LOL, I have no real idea what you are saying, am a novice. I started with win10 then 2yrs later I installed Ubuntu alongside to try it. Was told mint was better for me so I installed it alongside too. Am happy with mint so would like to get rid of everything else. I despise microsoft.
Sorry I know im a pain with my ignorance

ok never hesitate to ask because there are no stupid questions and don't appologise for ignorance since it can't be helped if you are new. Just be free to answer questions as best you can- usually there is a reason

Ok how did you delete that /dev/sda3 ? did you do it from Mint that was running, using gParted ?

I did it using gparted. was running ubuntu at the time. Am now on mint and its working perfectly just I think will need more space. When I tried to copy my files that are on a usb (25G) it says that I only have 6G free?

ok never hesitate to ask because there are no stupid questions and don't appologise for ignorance since it can't be helped if you are new. Just be free to answer questions as best you can- usually there is a reason

Ok how did you delete that /dev/sda3 ? did you do it from Mint that was running ?
I did it using gparted. was running ubuntu at the time. Am now on mint and its working perfectly just I think will need more space. When I tried to copy my files that are on a usb (25G) it says that I only have 6G free?

ok now you have to be patient with me , since to me mint and ubuntu are both descendants from Debian . I can see 2 partitins of ext4 linux file system

To clarify is Mint the one installed on Levono or do you also have another distro ubuntu ; i assumed you had one with one partition for root and another for home ? bare with me and if you can remember which partition has what. it looks like /dev/sda4 is the one you want as a keeper and yes thats only has circa 6 gig left

ok now you have to be patient with me , since to me mint and ubuntu are both descendants from Debian . I can see 2 partitins of ext4 linux file system

To clarify is Mint the one installed on Levono or do you also have another distro ubuntu ; i assumed you had one with one partition for root and another for home ? bare with me and if you can remember which partition has what
Sorry I have no idea which partition is which. When I boot up it asks if I want Ubuntu or mint.

ok so that alludes to ubuntu and Mint both installed, od's law to make it tricky to work out which is which both have 6gig left.

Ok it is possible to expand /dev/sda4 into the allocated using gPparted if /dev/sda4 is Mint that should work out nicely.

Ok i'm going to try to clarify which is which. We can do that by booting into one of them and doing some command line query. Do you want to give that a go ?

ok so that alludes to ubuntu and Mint both installed, od's law to make it tricky to work out which is which both have 6gig left.

Ok it is possible to expand /dev/sda4 into the allocated using gPparted if /dev/sda4 is Mint that should work out nicely.

Ok i'm going to try to clarify which is which. We can do that by booting into one of them and doing some command line query. Do you want to give that a go ?
Sure but you going to have to guide me through. How do we communicate once I reboot?

Staff online

Latest posts