Replace one distro with another

P

Paul g

Hello, all. Newbie here. I want to know how to completely remove Ubuntu from my hard drive and replace it with another. Everything is backed up, there is nothing on the ssd except Ubuntu. I do not want to install to a different partition, just replace the whole thing. I would like to try openSUSE, sparky Linux or maybe BHODI. Using dvd ISO does nothing. I get an error message stating the files are unreadable. Using the command terminal, my password renders my keyboard unresponsive. Everything I've seen online has to do with multiple installations which does not apply.
If u have questions, I will do my best to reply coherently but no promises! Thanks for your time!
Paul g

1) To replace one distro with another you just install it into the same space. No uninstalling, no formatting, just install it into the same space. The major distros have good installers so quite often you can just say "Use the whole disk" and partitions etc. will be handled automatically. In some minor distros they expect you to repartition manually.

2) A common newbie mistake is to just copy the ISO onto the disk. An ISO needs to be "burnt". That is a special operation to create a Linux bootable disk. An ISO appears as one file. A "burnt" ISO appears as many files.

First stop, does the disk work on another computer? If it doesn't you may have done something wrong. Look at e.g. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

3) When you are sure that the disk is correct you need to change the Boot Order/BIOS of the computer, so the computer will start from the CD/DVD-Rom first, before the Hard Drive. Nothing to do with Ubuntu or the Terminal, just how the computer starts up.

arochester- Thanks for the quick reply. Trying your suggestions today. I'll let u know what happens.
paul

arochester. Ok. I have a properly reproduced burnt version of sparky linux. It boots fine on my pc, so I know it works. I am trying to install on a netbook with a portable dvd drive. I changed the boot order and all seemed well but it only booted for a couple of seconds then my machine shut down for no apparent reason. Could not get it to boot after that. Boot goes straight back to Ubuntu. The only boot order options are FDD, LAN and SSD if that helps any. Suggestions?

arochester: PLOP boot manager will not insatll. Downloaded but there is no file that will work to unzip and install. All I get is a list of files that do not do anything. Thanks for your input. Anything else I need to try?
Paul g.

Arochester: good news! It seems that PLOP installed itself and I was able to install sparkylinux with a little bit of ingenuity (not knowledge!) It did run live at first but then gave me the option of installing so I went with that. Worked well! Thank you for your invaluable help.
Sincerely,
Paul g.

Members online