[REPOST cuz i didnt get any answer] cant login into linux

Lokman8

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
Just to make it short, i had windows 10 dualbooted with kali linux and everything was going fine, and i wasnt using windows that much so i decided to delete the windows partition and extend my linux one, so i did that updated grub and restarted my pc, then i couldnt boot into linux grub just disappeared, i reinstalled windows 10 and linux is still installed but i dont know how to boot into it.
things i tried :
looking for linux in the boot options (couldnt find it)
tried using bcedit followed with the path of grub (didnt work)
tried installing easyuefi (couldnt install it cuz im in legacy mode)
things i couldnt do :
changing to uefi (my bios is locked with a pass)
using a live usb to reinstall grub(dont have a live usb)
any suggestions ?

This sounds like the whole system is beyond repair

Reinstall Kali

Is it worth saving ?

Do you have a usb stick with Kali on it?....boot to that usb, and you should find whatever data you have, and then copy and paste it to an external hard drive.

I do not know a great deal about Kali....you may feel more comfortable waiting for someone with knowledge specifically about Kali

Is it worth saving ?

Do you have a usb stick with Kali on it?....boot to that usb, and you should find whatever data you have, and then copy and paste it to an external hard drive.

I do not know a great deal about Kali....you may feel more comfortable waiting for someone with knowledge specifically about Kali
ok ill wait a bit more i have a couple projects that im working on and i cant lose them

Try a live USB with 'boot-repair'. A search engine will give you the steps. Just let it do its thing to see if that works.

Try a live USB with 'boot-repair'. A search engine will give you the steps. Just let it do its thing to see if that works.
i looked into it and it says that u need to be in uefi is that true

i looked into it and it says that u need to be in uefi is that true

No? Where'd you read that?

(Unless boot-repair has changed in the past few weeks.)

No? Where'd you read that?

(Unless boot-repair has changed in the past few weeks.)
well well well good news i didnt have to use boot-repair, i had to add an entry using easybcd,so when it boots into windows bootloader thingy where it has either windows 10 or kali i chose kali it took me to grub where i have to choose again between kali and windows i booted into kali and im tryping this from it, but i really dont want to have 2 menus too choose from, is there a way to get rid of the windows bootloader and just have grub

Perhaps this is one of the other advantages of the infuriating Windows 10 safe boot thing. Did you turn that off?

is there a way to get rid of the windows bootloader and just have grub

There's a long, long running thread on the Lubuntu Discourse about exactly that. I don't think it ever got resolved - after weeks of trying.

So @Lokman8 what is the exact status now ?
the exact status ?
well grub is working as expected and it has both kali and windows 10, i didnt have to use recovery mode i booted into kali normally and installed grub on the partition, restarted and grub appeared, so i booted into windows and removed the easybcd entry (so i dont have to choose 2 times) and yeah everything is working now

ok sounds good - fixed basically

couple of things maybe on the 2 do list ? your choice

I'm pretty sure kali has timeshift in repo, I prefer to run kali live with persistence from a usb
meaning i can use and still install stuff, mainly due to lack of hard drive space. I'm sure i saw Timeshift in kali repo

Maybe have a look ta putting rEFInd onto a usb stick. if your system is uefi which i deduce it is then you can use that to can boot Windows and kali; i 've tested on wifes Windows 10 and on my laptop running Slackware. Works in both cases. make sure you have a maybe general Debian based live OS to use when things go wrong ? Maybe something like Debian Buster. You can also have persistence with that ,so you can add photorec etc or any other tools that might come in handy

Members online