Restoring Linux to previous day

Rollo151

Reaction score
Credits
Help, I did something on my computer and now ALL my bookmarks and pocket and history has been deleted. Can anyone help me with restoring my computer to a previous time to bring everything back?

G'day Rollo, Welcoemt to Linux.org

it may be a good start to edit the title..... LINUX

Then ....tell what you did to your computer.....what operating system you are running....which version....which browser you are using??

Give some detail please.

G'day Rollo, Welcoemt to Linux.org

it may be a good start to edit the title..... LINUX

Then ....tell what you did to your computer.....what operating system you are running....which version....which browser you are using??

Give some detail please.
Thanks, to be honest, this computer was given to my about 10 years ago and I have no idea what version of Linux I'm running - as for the browser, I think it's been Firefox. All this started because the computer was running really slow and I downloaded a couple of updates

Last edited:
What is the pc doing now?

Will it start up?.....does it get to the desktop?.......is the screen what you are used to seeing?

Thanks, to be honest, this computer was given to my about 10 years ago and I have no idea what version of Linux I'm running - as for the browser, I think it's been Firefox. All this started because the computer was running really slow and I downloaded a couple of updates
You downloaded a couple of updates? What were those, if I may ask? Linux doesn't work like that; you don't just download "a couple of updates" and install them. If you can elaborate on what you did, maybe we can provide a well-informed advice, in any case, there's no way to "restore" Linux to a previous day, since that feature doesn't exist, unless you install some software to provide it; timeshift. The only thing I can think of right now is:
1. Launch the file manager.
2. Click on a blank space in the file manager and hit Ctrl + h to reveal the hidden files.
3. Locate the .mozilla folder. Is it there?

What is the pc doing now?

Will it start up?.....does it get to the desktop?.......is the screen what you are used to seeing?

starts fine, but now my homepage is now Yahoo and should be Xfinity and all bookmarks are gone

You downloaded a couple of updates? What were those, if I may ask? Linux doesn't work like that; you don't just download "a couple of updates" and install them. If you can elaborate on what you did, maybe we can provide a well-informed advice, in any case, there's no way to "restore" Linux to a previous day, since that feature doesn't exist, unless you install some software to provide it; timeshift. The only thing I can think of right now is:
1. Launch the file manager.
2. Click on a blank space in the file manager and hit Ctrl + h to reveal the hidden files.
3. Locate the .mozilla folder. Is it there?
I haven't updated the computer in quite a while, so I went to see what was available...and uploaded them

where did you go to see what was available?....

I am sceptical that you are running Linux

Click on Menu,,,,and type in Welcome Scree.. What does it tell you on the welcome screen?

where did you go to see what was available?....

I am sceptical that you are running Linux
Clicked on the little green LM bottom left, systems, update manager, put my password in and the clicked on update all.....this ins't BS, I'd like some help

Ok.......doing that will not change your browser or your homepage.....and it certainly wont wipe out your bookmarks etc etc

Does anyone else in the household use that PC ?

Ok.......doing that will not change your browser or your homepage.....and it certainly wont wipe out your bookmarks etc etc

Does anyone else in the household use that PC ?
no, this was all me not sure of what i was doing

Ok....Later.

Click on the menu and type in welcome screen....will throw up a window entitled welcome screen...in the bottom right hand corner of that screen it should say linux mint 17.1 or linux blah blah with a number

That would be good info for us to have.

How long it since you updated>....approximately...?

and.....roughly how many updates did it install?....rough guess?

Get a good sleep

Clicked on the little green LM bottom left
Morning all, well we know it's Some version of Mint, as the icon is green it sounds like an old installation,or at least not recent, perhaps saving and reinstalling is in order, or if the OP doesn't feel comfortable with that, if he has enough room on the HDD, do a duel boot with M20,

Updates in Linux don't remove anything or damage your system...that's windwoes.
happy0035.gif

I also think a clean install is needed here...if you don't know what you did...you can't expect others to know. Once you've installed the Linux Distro...you need to create a back-up just in case you do something like this again.
You can use Timeshift or better still create an image of the Drive with Foxclone...https://foxclone.com/ Foxclone backs up everything on the Drive.
happy0034.gif

Ok....Later.

Click on the menu and type in welcome screen....will throw up a window entitled welcome screen...in the bottom right hand corner of that screen it should say linux mint 17.1 or linux blah blah with a number

That would be good info for us to have.

How long it since you updated>....approximately...?

and.....roughly how many updates did it install?....rough guess?

Get a good sleep
Good morning all,

The welcome screen shows linux 17.3 'Rosa" 64bit

there were 2 updates

I installed them both yesterday afternoon

Support for mint 17.3 ended in 2019 .. https://www.linuxtechnews.com/linux-mint-17-17-1-17-2-17-3-reached-end-of-life-eol/

Time for an upgrade!

Edit I suspect the updates were something to do with added repositories for specific applications
wow, my computer is old.......

Here are the updates that were loaded yesterday

2022-06-19 – 21:08:32 mintupdate Old version 4.9.9.2 New version 4.9.9.3

2022-6-19 – 21:11;50 adobe –flashplugin Old version 1:20190409.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1

2022-6-19 – 21:11:50 firefox Old version 66.0.3+linuxmint1+rosa Newversion 78.7.esr-linuxmint 1

I installed them both yesterday afternoon
It would be good to know which upgrades exactly, so open the terminal and copy/paste this:
Code:
less --ignore-case --RAW-CONTROL-CHARS --LONG-PROMPT --LINE-NUMBERS /var/log/apt/history.log
hit Enter, and you should see something like this:
Code:
243 Start-Date: 2022-06-19  20:33:14
244 Commandline: apt upgrade
245 Requested-By: tolkem (1000)
246 Upgrade: exo-utils:amd64 (4.16.0-1, 4.16.0-1+deb11u1), libexo-2-0:amd64 (4.16.0-1, 4.16.0-1+deb11u1), libexo-common:amd64 (4.16.0-1, 4.16.0-1+deb11u1
246 )
247 End-Date: 2022-06-19  20:33:22
/var/log/apt/history.log lines 234-247/247 (END)
That above is apt's history transactions log, just the last lines, and those are some upgrades that landed yesterday for my Debian system. So, once you've located that in yours, copy/paste the output here.

2022-6-19 – 21:11:50 firefox Old version 66.0.3+linuxmint1+rosa Newversion 78.7.esr-linuxmint 1
I suspect this is the reason; it went from FF 66 to 78, and it probably overwrote FF's profile folder. You could try this: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles and see if you have any luck, hopefully, you will. If and when you do, make a backup, it's as easy as copying .mozilla's hidden folder in $HOME to a USB drive, so you can copy it back when needed. Also, as others have already recommended, you could try installing latest Mint version:
https://linuxmint.com/download.php