Retro Linux user seeking advice

BadlyDrawnGirl

Reaction score
Credits
Although I've used Linux in the past, I'm no longer up to date on technology or the ever so growing changes in the advancements.
I recently got a laptop and can't stand Microsoft, or Mr. Gates for that matter and I'd like to change my OS from Windows to Linux -Ubuntu.
It's been a couple of years and just want to know if anyone can give me advice on the best way to do this sort of thing?
Simple and easy would be preferred, however not entirely necessary.

advice of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

G'day BadlyDrawnGirl, Welcome to Linux.org

A good start would be by giving us the specs of that Laptop

make and model, ram, cpu, hard drives etc etc

Although I've used Linux in the past, I'm no longer up to date on technology or the ever so growing changes in the advancements.
I recently got a laptop and can't stand Microsoft, or Mr. Gates for that matter and I'd like to change my OS from Windows to Linux -Ubuntu.
It's been a couple of years and just want to know if anyone can give me advice on the best way to do this sort of thing?
Simple and easy would be preferred, however not entirely necessary.

advice of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
If you're coming from Windows I think you should go with Kubuntu, it will give you a similar feel to Windows.

Welcome to the forums
whatever distribution you end up using [we recommend you try several by running them live] you will be facing a learning curve, so don't be put off.

Basic install instructions to replace windows with Linux
choose your distribution
go to the website and download your chosen distribution and take a note of sha sum [you will need this to check after making the install medium ]
using an iso burning program [most of us recommend Etcher], burn your download as a bootable Iso pen-drive
to install
1, plug in the machine
2 insert Iso , usb into drive
3 switch on and open the short boot menu [method depends on make/model of machine/motherboard]
look down the list and find usb click on it and enter, after a few seconds it should start to load to Ram, [you do not need a harddrive at this stage]
4,when it is loaded check everything works ok [wi-fi, sound, graphics] easiest way to do this is click on the wireless icon find your router and enter the password, when loaded go to your favorite music video site and pick something your familiar with, if it plays ok and the picture looks good you can then decide if you want to take a chance on installing.
5, double click the install button the iso will then check the components of your machine this may take several seconds to a couple of minuets, then provided everything checks out ok it will start to install

6. watch it install when it asks about partitioning choose use complete disc, you will also be asked if you wish to install non-free/proprietary drivers tick the box for yes and enter
you will need to enter information as it installs so keep an eye on it, a typical linux installation can take from 10 to 20 minuets [far less than windows]
7. when it has installed you will get a message do you wish to re-start now, accept

Now sit back whilst it re-boots then it will take a couple more minuets to clean up the installation and get rid of the install files,
then if all goes well we will have a working linux lappy

[If you wish to make a duel boot system select the install alongside windows option]

Bwiz

Last edited:
A good start would be by giving us the specs of that Laptop

A better start would be to address this in Getting Started. The support forums are for questions and answers, here being for "Hi - I'm such and such and pleased to be here, glad to meet you" and so on.

That being said

G'day @BadlyDrawnGirl and welcome to linux.org :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@BadlyDrawnGirl
G'day and welcome
The wizards Brick and fromoz ; KGIII and Condobloke have said everything that will help you at the moment so I'll leave you in the capable hands.
The distro you choose is the one that feels right for you as you are the captain of your number crunching machine. :)

Members online

Latest posts