Right Place

Mike13Foxtrot

Reaction score
Credits
Had to do some work at a Salvation Army today. 15 minutes lock fixed. Had to wait for a truck to back in so I wondered around. No reason to look at Monitors and small LCD TV's on a shelf. But then noticed one with a sticker that said Intel Inside. It was a Dell Inspirion all in one. With the power brick. 20 bucks. Did not plug it in to see if it even worked, grabbed it anyway. Get it home and it powered up gave a keyboard error, plugged one in. Booted, went into BIOS, Dual core intel CPU, 4gb ram, 1 TB SSD. WIN10.

Let it boot into Win, needed to repair, was unsuccessful. Grabbed my Ventoy USB which has MXLinux21, WIN10, WIN11, Gparted, Neptune, and Mint ISO's. Ran Mx Live. SSD was fine. Installed MX Linux all works, great little toy for 20 dollars. The Bios date was 2013 it is not a touch screen, but it works.

For $20 bucks you have a new gem in your workshop.
Pretty cool deal:-

Screenshot's?

Screenshot's?
I'll have to get some pics uploaded. The bottom of the screen still had the original plastic to peel off. Although when I checked the disk usage on MX Live before install, the 1TB SSD had over 600 GB used. Did not check files, just formatted and installed.

I'll have to get some pics uploaded. The bottom of the screen still had the original plastic to peel off. Although when I checked the disk usage on MX Live before install, the 1TB SSD had over 600 GB used. Did not check files, just formatted and installed.
When you can no rush.
I'm thinking it could be a hidden Windows partition taken up that 600 GB?

Sounds pretty damn cheap to me, you got a bargain, and working without major work is brilliant.

dellmx.jpg

MX running

dellprice.jpg

20 dollar price on back.

My problem isn't finding computers, it is figuring out what to do with them. I tend to keep old computers as long as they can run, but only have so much time to set them up and maintain them.

Honestly, managing storage is more important to me. I keep regular hourly backups. I also update a whole system backup about once every week or two. Every few months, I convert the whole system backups to image files on large external drives for offsite storage.

What a great find...the 1TB SSD costs more than $20.
m1212.gif

What a great find...the 1TB SSD costs more than $20.
m1212.gif
Well bad news, opened it up last evening, it actually has a 3.5in HDD. It is also the cage structure for the VESA mount. It has an empty slot for another stick of ram and I will switch the HDD with an SSD. Then just use the HDD at my desk for storage as I have an SSD desktop cradle I just plug in 3.5 or 2.5 HDD or SSD instead of changing drives in the desk.

Just like all the All-in Ones the MB is a laptop MB with a larger cooling fan inside. Once you take out the 4 screws for the stand, the back pops off easy. Ram is under a cover with 1 screw. But yeah I actually doubled my money as a 3.5 HDD 1TB is 40+ at Micro Center. Which I will be driving right by Tuesday and my B-Day is Saturday, sooooooo. :D

Well bad news, opened it up last evening, it actually has a 3.5in HDD. :D

That's not good...what's that saying...If it sounds too good to be true.
m1512.gif

Added 4gb more ram, replaced the 1TB HDD with a 240GB SSD, don't need all the space for what I do with it. Now have 1TB of another drive to store crap on. Put it on my back desk where my laptop lived for bill paying. All that laptop was for, the only problem was and older HP kept MX updated pay bills thru my bank, taxes once a year, but smaller battery in that HP15, now don't have to make sure to charge this one every week.

Members online

Latest posts