Road trip

D

dale

I have decided to migrate from distribution to distribution for an indefinite (but extensive) period of time just to explore and experiment.

I have googled for documentation on distribution to distribution migration. Most involve methods of backup. I wonder if there are any travel tips from LF other than backup?

This will have to start slow because I am also in the middle of moving to another city and finding a new job. That said, I will send postcards to LF as I go. I currently live in town Xubuntu. :D

Thanks in advance!

One can only make suggestions based on personal experience regarding your chosen journey.

A large USB device like an internal hard drive in an enclosure may be desirable to store image files from cloned distro installations worth saving made with Clonezilla. Remember to store passwords in a text file with same base name as the clone image in the same location.

Xubuntu => Zenwalk-7-xfce => PCLinuxOS-lxde => antiX-M11 and CrunchBang-10 would tour lighter desktop distros nicely and provide variety.

From there a person could move on to Sabayon and then delve into some of the KDE distros like Open Xange and Chakra and Vector SOHO and the independent Open Mamba. SolusOS uses Gnome nicely.

Don't forget the "little guys" like TinyCore and Unity and SliTaz or specialty distros like Ophcrack and Backtrack. The possibilites are almost endless.

Happy trails!

A travelling brochure! Really looking forward to this tour now. Thank you! :D

That's a good thing too do I hope you have fun on your road trip and if its a laptop that you have why not bring that with you..

Hello LF, did not mean to disappear for so long. I intended to stick with the travel plan, but I got sidetracked and moved to a beautiful town called Fedora. Some guy I met on the Internet sold me a tiny vehicle called Xfce, which I immediately fell in love with. What started off as a nomadic journey turned into a more permanent situation. I have decided to remove Windows Vista completely for one of my work laptops, and have two Linux distributions installed instead. One of which will be Fedora for a long time, the other will carry on with the experimentation.

Fedora is a beautiful siren who will lead one into troubled waters.
OTOH, glad you find xfce satisfying!

Members online