Rock Roxx

Those rainy day women come in handy, sometimes!

1947 style rock....

and a bit of jazz from 1927 !!

1947 style rock....

Interesting side-note:

As far as music historians go, it's relatively uncontested that the first rock song was released in 1951.

The name of the song was "Rocket 88" - which is about a car. It's a very sexy car, for the era.

The Oldsmobile (Rocket) 88 gets that "Rocket" title due to some of the car's appointments - specifically hood (boot, to you) ornamentation.

Further, the Rocket 88 is also considered the first Muscle Car. It'd be another decade and a half before anyone was regularly using the term 'Muscle Car', but the 88 is considered to be the first of the first, at least as far as American Muscle Cars go.

(Side note: No, the Mustang is not a 'Muscle Car', it's a 'Pony Car', defining the term and genre.)

Don't forget Link Wray's Rumble -- precursor to modern rock!

Don't forget Link Wray's Rumble -- precursor to modern rock!

Indeed. His was the first intentionally distorted music. He accomplished this distortion by punching holes in the amplifier speakers. So, he was far more modern rock than some folks realize.

...specifically hood (boot, to you)

Small lession in Australian - we actually call the hood the bonnet, and the trunk the boot. :)

we actually call the hood the bonnet, and the trunk the boot.
from "why can't the English"

A good example to people whose
English is painful to your ears?
The Scots and the Irish leave you close to tears.
There even are places where English completely Disappears,

In America, they haven't used it for years!

Small lession in Australian - we actually call the hood the bonnet, and the trunk the boot. :)

LOL I knew that and somehow managed to call it the boot.

Alas, I can't even blame drinking. I can blame multitasking, however.

The auction's final day is the 15th. I have done unspeakable things. Actually, I've been relatively tame this time around.

And, to kinda stay on topic, here's a great song that references a car...

I'm a pretty big fan of her music.

The Scots and the Irish leave you close to tears.
The Highland Scots gave me no trouble once I learned a few expressions used by them. Lowland Scots are another matter and some Irish are totally incomprehensible to me.

To listen to one Irishman I met in Hertfordshire long ago, an inexperienced American (as I ws at the time) would think, "that can't be English!"

"that can't be English!"
LOL The back woods of Missouri,Arkansas,Tennessee...
i speak both "American English" and and normal "back woods"

Even in Australia !!

Have a go at this kid !!!!

I once had a site about guitar. I eventually got tired of being obligated to the site, but many folks found it informative.

Once a week, I did a "Guitarists Better Than Hendrix" article, 'cause it's absurd that Rolling Stone magazine would rate him as the greatest guitarist of all time. Hendrix, and this doesn't mean I'm not a fan, couldn't even play the same song trice in a row. If you listen to 7 different versions of a Hendrix song, all 7 of them will be different.

I'm a huge Hendrix fan, but calling him the best was just absurd.

So, I wrote a new (very long) article every Thursday. I detailed great guitarists, from Chet Atkins to Glen Campbell to Slash to Eric Clapton. (I made it quite deep into the articles, and they were kinda fun to write.)

Beck was on the list of guitarists that are better (more technically proficient, as that's the only metric we can measure) Hendrix. I think he was 15th on my list, but my list wasn't in any particular order.

I dunno if any of you are also musicians, but there's the TGP forum if you are. For better or worse, people have legitimate emotions surrounding the artists they love, and so many folks have expressed sadness.

The guitar-centric universe is just a little less today than it was yesterday.

Have a listen to the Yardbirds (including Beck), from way back when...

Even in Australia !!

Have a go at this kid !!!!

Brian, best clip I have seen from the show, and Elaine would have SO loved it.

BUT

Shouldn't this be in your Australia Thread, not here???

Wiz

Have a listen to the Yardbirds (including Beck), from way back when...

The Yardbirds were a seminal band for guitarists of note, also featuring at various times

Eric Clapton (later in Cream) and

Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) whom Clapton recommended as his replacement.

Wiz

o listen to one Irishman I met in Hertfordshire long ago, an inexperienced American (as I ws at the time) would think, "that can't be English!"
And this is! Well the weekend is nearly upon us, so I am looking forward to popping down the frog, to the rub, for a few sow's . decoding... frog =Frog and toad- the road], Rub = rub-a-dub-dub - Pub [public house or bar], Sow's = sows ears - beers

Last edited:
The Yardbirds were a seminal band for guitarists of note, also featuring at various times

Indeed. I think I'd have liked to see them in any iteration, but never did. For the very briefest of times, Led Zeppelin was performing under the name and under the name The New Yardbirds.

so I am looking forward to popping down the frog, to the rub, for a few sow's .

Did you end up drinking with a china plate, Brian, or drink on your Pat Malone?

I feel like a little Barnesy - Jimmy Barnes\, with Khe Sanh

Members online