Rock Roxx

Nice one, Adam! (@blackneos940 ) Thanks for sharing!

Haunting video, I love it!

Chris (on #42)

@Condobloke

Brian

BARNESY! Yeah, I know he was born in Scotland, but Aussie Aussie Aussie, oi oi oi. :)

David Byron (Uriah Heep, UK) was one of the great male vocalists.

This from their album Demons and Wizards

and for those who like the sound, the album (57 minutes) is here

On the second link, even if you only take a look at that art work on the album cover ... I'll come back to that in a future Post.

Enjoy

Wizard (with not so many Demons)

I was 10 years old when Bobbie Gentry released "Ode to Billie Joe". I was smitten by her, convinced I was madly in love. :)

The song (as with others, written and composed by her) was unusual for the fact that it does not include an instrumental break (see what I mean with Tom's other offering, "Fancy" by comparison) - it is all vocals from start to finish with the music.

Fantastic!

Following is, by contrast, the first I heard of what became known as "driving songs" - it was 1973 and the portable music medium, audio cassettes, could be played in your car.

Dutch Group Golden Earring with Radar Love, crank the volume up :)

Wiz

I was 10 years old when Bobbie Gentry released "Ode to Billie Joe". I was smitten by her, convinced I was madly in love. :)

The song (as with others, written and composed by her) was unusual for the fact that it does not include an instrumental break (see what I mean with Tom's other offering, "Fancy" by comparison) - it is all vocals from start to finish with the music.

Fantastic!

Following is, by contrast, the first I heard of what became known as "driving songs" - it was 1973 and the portable music medium, audio cassettes, could be played in your car.

Dutch Group Golden Earring with Radar Love, crank the volume up :)

Wiz

Now that is a stroll down memory lane.

To be smitten by a female vocalist I would have to say Stevie Nicks, later to be replaced with Bonnie Raitt going off the sound of the voice. There was plenty of great music back then before auto tune or stuff to do the music and back track the lyrics.

My 8 track player in the car ate this tape pissed me off.

On #50

@Fishy - November 15 1977 I saw Fleetwood Mac in Brisbane. Wonderful concert, Stevie had a slight "frog in her throat" and could not quite get the high notes in "Rhiannon".

Shopping at Supa IGA a week ago, young lady at checkout, early 20s, was named Rhiannon. I said to her "Parents Fleetwood Mac fans?". She said "Yep". :)

They are touring in Oz next month.

Nazareth - love their "Love Hurts". It's gratifying, opening a Thread such as this, and learning even more how much we all have in common? Love this website :cool:

Wiz

Last edited:
I was a little more mainstream......Jayne Mansfied rocked my boat ....

She made a habit of having "wardrobe malfunctions", that left me speechless (sometimes for hours )

View attachment 4212

...all of the above with an IQ of 149........what wasnt there to like ????

OOPS.....forgot the umm...ahhh.....Music !
Hmm, Imagine that! :p

I am always torn when I hear other people ask the loaded question .......... ? do you like music ? ? ?

It never goes as expected, they begin to tell how the Eagles were the greatest band and musicians to ever live. One of the most memorable times such as these was when a young man (young enough to be my grandson) at work asked the "do you like music" question. I said well not everybody has the same idea when it comes to what is called music, but I suppose you could say I enjoy some of it.
The door flys open with enthusiasm as he spends the next hour and a half telling me all about Eminem ( Marshall Bruce Mathers III ) and how he turned the music industry on it's ear because he is a lyrical genius. After about 5 minutes of dead silence he asked did you get what I was saying POPS ...... as poetically and as politically correct as I could muster. I said oh you mean the guy that sings about beating his Mother, girls or as he flows the hoes, and killing cops - - that guy ! Yeah I suppose as long as you don't put him up against any real talent of song writers and only compare him to a dog turd he is I would guess. My son works Law Enforcement so that guy can go ........ %$#^&*!# himself and rot in %^$@*&^! ........ as long as he compares to other 25 going on 12 trained monkeys he is good.

Oddly very silent the rest of the night shift ....... my work is done here ! ! !

now back to the music that changed so many things not just peoples minds
The songs had good times and did not need to kill or beat people.
Grand Funk Railroad was one of those that did it well, an updated version of there 1975 hit first done by the original song writer John Ellison of Soul Brothers Six in 1967.

Last edited:
I am always torn when I hear other people ask the loaded question .......... ? do you like music ? ? ?

It never goes as expected, they begin to tell how the Eagles were the greatest band and musicians to ever live. One of the most memorable times such as these was when a young man (young enough to be my grandson) at work asked the "do you like music" question. I said well not everybody has the same idea when it comes to what is called music, but I suppose you could say I enjoy some of it.
The door flys open with enthusiasm as he spends the next hour and a half telling me all about Eminem ( Marshall Bruce Mathers III ) and how he turned the music industry on it's ear because he is a lyrical genius. After about 5 minutes of dead silence he asked did you get what I was saying POPS ...... as poetically and as politically correct as I could muster. I said oh you mean the guy that sings about beating his Mother, girls or as he flows the hoes, and killing cops - - that guy ! Yeah I suppose as long as you don't put him up against any real talent of song writers and only compare him to a dog turd he is I would guess. My son works Law Enforcement so that guy can go ........ %$#^&*!# himself and rot in %^$@*&^! ........ as long as he compares to other 25 going on 12 trained monkeys he is good.

Oddly very silent the rest of the night shift ....... my work is done here ! ! !

Grand Funk Railroad was one of those that did it well, an updated version of there 1975 hit first done by the original song writer John Ellison of Soul Brothers Six in 1967.

Yeah, Eminem has a good beat, but then he talks about beating people, including Cops, so..... :( I have friends in Law Enforcement, so I know what you mean..... :\ Please tell your son that I am grateful for his service. :) Grand Funk Railroad, huh...? Weren't they the guys who sang "She's some kind of woman!"? :)

Oh, as if your video link didn't make it obvious! XD They ARE the ones who sang that song! :D

More homegrown (Oz) - John Farnham came our way out of England as a teenager and worked as a plumber's apprentice.

Around 1967 aged 17 he had a song "Sady The Cleaning Lady" - very pop but he soldiered on for years tuning his craft.

In 1988, at our Bicentennial he was named Australian of The Year. His album the year prior "Whispering Jack" featured the below song. I knew John's guitarist Brett Garsed, from a small sport called drugfree powerlifting I had formed in Australia.

Enjoy - The Voice.

We have the chance, to turn the pages over
We can write what we want to write
We gotta make ends meet, before we get much older
We're all someone's daughter
We're all someone's son
How long can we look at each other
Down the barrel of a gun?
You're the voice, try and understand it
Make a noise and make it clear
Oh-wo-wo-wo, oh-wo-wo-wo
We're not gonna sit in silence
We're not gonna live with fear
Oh-wo-wo-wo, oh-wo-wo-wo
This time, we know we call can stand together
With the power to be powerful
Believing, we can make it better
We're all someone's daughter
We're all someone's son
How long can we look at each other
Down the barrel of a gun?

Wizard

More homegrown (Oz) - John Farnham came our way out of England as a teenager and worked as a plumber's apprentice.

Around 1967 aged 17 he had a song "Sady The Cleaning Lady" - very pop but he soldiered on for years tuning his craft.

In 1988, at our Bicentennial he was named Australian of The Year. His album the year prior "Whispering Jack" featured the below song. I knew John's guitarist Brett Garsed, from a small sport called drugfree powerlifting I had formed in Australia.

Enjoy - The Voice.

Wizard

Bagpipes = I am hooked + good voice, good lyrics !

Yeah, he and AC-DC were two of our groups experimenting with bagpipes at the time, and the results can be quite extraordinary.

His followup album, "Age of Reason", features the title track here - not quite as "rocky" but I found it spell-binding, and could not stop humming it :p

From the day that we were born we've been heading down a track
Sometimes it's made for good sometimes for bad
But if we look behind us there's a wave coming down
Carrying us forward to a new age
What about the world around us
How can we fail to see
And now that our fathers have gone
And we've been left to carry on
What about the age of reason
So why can't we be still why can't we love each other
Is kindness an ancient skill buried by our blindness
And if we look behind us there's a wind blowing in