Rolling release distro

i
Slackware wasn't exactly a walk in the park for me to learn however; I did it.
Thank goodness for good documentation.

After running it for 9 years I switched to Debian-:)

What's your favorite Linux distro?
Personly i wouldt mind trying slackware with mate. Personly their thing i like on most distros and their also things i dont like. i have spend most of my time on semi-rolling like fedora. as soon new packages are avabile thir their. but if your not on gnome user experince is not ever good. one thing i found in fedorda is lightdm setting dont work and can crash your whole system.

Well, I just dual booted my machine with Manjaro KDE Plasma. I used to have Fedora and Windows, now I have Fedora and Manjaro... going to test it out with different things, looking forward to it!

Well, I just dual booted my machine with Manjaro KDE Plasma. I used to have Fedora and Windows, now I have Fedora and Manjaro... going to test it out with different things, looking forward to it!
Will be interesting to hear how you experience Manjaro compared to Fedora.

@Leonardo_B

Mr V

Has said that Mon Aug 16 05:28:16 UTC 2021 could be considered as 15 RC1

If you want to try Slackware now would be an interesting time. if you wanted to i would suggest you get the current install DVD iso of 3.3 gig https://slackware.nl/slackware/slackware64-current-iso/

That means you will be getting the OS in its most updated form. Current is the development wing of the OS. Actually i found current very stable. Also its hopefully very near to a stable 15 release. that means from current , it won't be too much of a jump from the install if you say do in in a few days to the stable release. if you installed current and switched mirriors to stable 15 when it comes out with use of slackpkg you would be able to do a "system upgrade from current" to stable 15. Then you could play with it a bit and even switch back to current-which is a sort of rolling release

keep us informed @TheProf

I have to say, not a big fan of KDE Plasma, will most likely try and switch over to GNOME or try another DE.

I have to say, not a big fan of KDE Plasma, will most likely try and switch over to GNOME or try another DE.
I used to run Cinnamon as my DE, that may be worth a try? Don't forget that you can't just install another DE and don't have to reinstall a specifc spin of Manjaro in order to use another DE.

I used to use KDE Plasma, but only because at the time. I was not a big fan of what Gnome was doing. Of course, KDE would piss me off because it was so British / European with buttons being inverted to what the standard is in the US.

I suspect or at least hope you can configure that these days. That said, I was using Cinnamon just prior to ceasing to use Linux on the desktop and I actually was decently happy with it.

No idea what I will use in the future.

I'm quite a bit late for this thread, but alas.

The newbie concept is something too wide. I can be a seasoned Windows admin but totally new to Linux. Or, I can be a newbie in computers, but keen to learn.

So, newbies or not, I would only recommend a rolling release to someone that knows how to, or keen to learn to rollback a broken system with something like TimeShift. Indeed, I use Manjaro and TimeShift is one of the very first things I set up no matter how many years on Linux I have (23+).

The concept and usage is quite easy to grasp for anyone that has some experience on backing up other systems like macOS or Windows 10. The recovery capabilities of TimeShift are something that works in a very similar way to a recovery partition or to a software like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper for a macOS user, for example.

I'm quite a bit late for this thread, but alas.

Following on from another Aussie, and he has stolen some of my thunder, re Timeshift reference ;) It came out in 2014 and I have been using it since the beginning.

So on a different issue

...now I have Fedora and Manjaro... going to test it out with different things, looking forward to it!

Prof, just a heads up - if it is just the pair of them on your system, while Manjaro is the primary partition (in top spot on Grub menu), you are OK.

If Fedora moves to top spot, such as with major kernel upgrades, grub-efi and shim updates &c, when you try to boot Manjaro from Grub menu, it will go into a kernel panic with no way out other than force reboot.

If this happens to you (and it will), there is a workaround I use which I can outline in a separate thread, rather than derail Nelson's thread.

Cheers and Avagudweegend

Wizard

BTW Manjaro is the main offender in this regard, but it happens in some other Arch-based Distros as well.

Following on from another Aussie, and he has stolen some of my thunder, re Timeshift reference ;) It came out in 2014 and I have been using it since the beginning.

So on a different issue

Prof, just a heads up - if it is just the pair of them on your system, while Manjaro is the primary partition (in top spot on Grub menu), you are OK.

If Fedora moves to top spot, such as with major kernel upgrades, grub-efi and shim updates &c, when you try to boot Manjaro from Grub menu, it will go into a kernel panic with no way out other than force reboot.

If this happens to you (and it will), there is a workaround I use which I can outline in a separate thread, rather than derail Nelson's thread.

Cheers and Avagudweegend

Wizard

BTW Manjaro is the main offender in this regard, but it happens in some other Arch-based Distros as well.

Thanks Wizard. For the moment, Manjaro is on my secondary disk and the last item in the grub menu, Fedora is first. I dont have an issue per se, althogh when I did deploy Manjaro after Fedora, I could not get Manjaro to boot without using the fallback initramfs boot option. Is this what you're referring to?

Why? Just curious. I use Plasma and find it to be one of the best DEs out there; very customizable, versatile and powerful.

Why? Just curious. I use Plasma and find it to be one of the best DEs out there; very customizable, versatile and powerful.

For me, I find it to be slow compared to gnome 40. Out of the box, I find it has some bugs too, at least for my setup with the nvidia gpu. Some themes don't apply properly so you end up having some windows that are themed, others are not. Launching applications also seems slower when compared to gnome. I don't know if it is the animations, or maybe I need to tweak it a bit more.

I will say this, I am still on KDE Plasma and I have tweaked it a lot to get to work the way I like it and it seems to run much better now. I will continue to use it for the time being.

I also don't like the fact that there are a lot of KDE apps that come preinstalled, maybe that is my fault for installing Manjaro this way and not customizing it.

I actually ended up uninstalling all the apps including the DE and SDDM (was my mistake learning pacman and how to carefully handle app dependencies :) )... ended up rebooting into a CLI and manually reinstalled only the apps I need... Now my Manajoro install is a lot "thinner" with only the apps I need. This actually improved the performance quite a bit. Honestly, I am even considering just going straight Arch path... I will post more updates at a later point, there's a lot to mention :)

I've always liked KDE/Plasma. Gnome of late has been a pain too may addons that don't work or get ditched in the next version. I use Cinnamon at the moment it's based on gnome but is much better for me. Just a thought give Cinnamon a try if you decide to ditch KDE/Plasma. But one good thing in Linux is we have choices and so to each their own :)

I will say this, I am still on KDE Plasma and I have tweaked it a lot to get to work the way I like it and it seems to run much better now. I will continue to use it for the time being.
Open system settings and check for unneeded/unwanted background processes running, then disabled them, you can find them in startup > background processes. For example, I don't use cups, so I have it disabled, as well as bluetooth, write daemon, thunderbolt monitor, remote URL notifier, disk space notifier, plasma browser integration notifier. Also, I don't know whether Manjaro uses it or not, but launch a terminal and run
Code:
systemctl status irqbalance.service
if it shows as active, disable it with
Code:
sudo systemctl stop irqbalance.service
then
Code:
sudo systemctl disable irqbalance.service
I used to have that in openSUSE and Fedora, and it slowed down a lot the pc. Open Plasma's system settings and go to desktop > effects or some similar wording, then disable whatever effects you don't need/want. I disabled most of them, like windows translucency, which makes windows transparent when you move them around, just useless to me. While in effects, look for present windows or some similar wording(my system's Spanish), click on the settings button, and move the slider around the center, or play with it and see what suits you better. And there are plenty of more stuff you can tweak to make Plasma behave the way you want it to. Gnome is ok, but I don't like it since it doesn't have the same level of keyboard hotkeys control and customization Plasma has; you can configure/bind whatever action you can think of to a key combo. :)

presentar ventanas1.png

presentar ventanas.png

I think I got Manjaro to work quite well with everything using KDE Plasma as a DE. Only thing I am looking into now is gaming, I find that some games are running at a much lower fps compared to Fedora.

I've already installed the proprietary nvidia drivers, dxvk/wine, steam, Lutris. Games launch with no issue, but with same config as I have in Fedora, in Manjaro, run worse point where it is really noticeable. Need to figure out what that is.

I've always liked KDE/Plasma. Gnome of late has been a pain too may addons that don't work or get ditched in the next version. I use Cinnamon at the moment it's based on gnome but is much better for me. Just a thought give Cinnamon a try if you decide to ditch KDE/Plasma. But one good thing in Linux is we have choices and so to each their own :)

For me, gnome works great! I dont have many issues with extensions, I dont use all that many, but the ones I do are supported. Especially after installing the gpu drivers, things are a lot more smooth.

This is why I have a harder time with KDE Plasma, although it is very versatile and it does have a lot of customization... Most of the customization it offers, I dont really need. I try to customize as little as possible as I know one day I will have to reinstall and dont want to spend hours working on doing all these tweaks.

To give an example, for gnome, all I use for extensions:

1. ArcMenu
2. Arrange Windows
3. Blur my Shell
4. Sound Input and Output Device Chooser
5. Transparent window moving
6. Vitals
7. Weather in the Clock
7. Dash to Dock

For a theme, I use the flat remix. Everything else is the default app, like nautilus, gnome-terminal, firefox, etc..

Thats about it, very easy and quick to enable after Fedora is installed.

You don't actually need xf86-video-amdgpu, I only use mesa and it loads the amdgpu driver from the kernel. I was using it at one point and than just to experiment removed it and my display was still working fine, try it?
yep works - one less pkg that will appear on :
sudo pacman -Syu

To give an example, for gnome, all I use for extensions:
Ah, this is another reason I don't like Gnome; extensions. Having to install extensions to get some feature that most desktops provide OOTB, seems to me a bit redundant.

Members online

Latest posts