Rolling release distro

has nothing to do with rolling-releas abut i going to say it .graphical app stores are pain specially for new users, useing dnfdragora, gnome software, and yast. New use dont know want the programs on list do and graphic packages store some can even freeze up on them . I have notice not all the .ded are packages are their a special on gnome on Ubuntu and they way that gnome does it updates is windows like. We should be tell new users learn the commond line

openSUSE's Yast is a wonderful piece of work, yes, it might be a bit overwhelming due to the number of settings and things you can perform with it, but it is a great tool nonetheless. No other distro has something near as powerful and useful.

I have to agree with Tolkem Yast is a great tool.

yes i have to agree yast is amazing but new user dont know how to enable the time shift future in yast and like i say they dont know what them packages in it list out of the box are with out help from internet. could get even more confusing specially snice if they running kde cause it got it own store too

Last edited:
Like I said, Yast can be indeed a bit overwhelming and should not be used carelessly. Users, whether they're new or advanced, should take their time to learn how to properly use it.

OpenSuse like any Linux Distro has a learning curve. The Op desiring to change to Linux should learn the basics at least before jumping in. Run a live Dvd/usb for a few days, learn the file system. Learn some minimal terminal commands. And learn the package management system of the Distro you choose. In the end this will pay off nicely. Here is a good place to start. Then enjoy learning something new. Happy computing :) Over the years I've found that the newbies that have the most problems are those who refuse to change. They want Linux to be the same as Windows or MacOS, IT IS NOT! But the reward for learning a new system is a great Operating system that will serve you for many years.

Last edited:
OpenSuse like any Linux Distro has a learning curve. The Op desiring to change to Linux should learn the basics at least before jumping in.
OP is already running Linux, dual-booting Fedora and Manjaro.

OP is already running Linux, dual-booting Fedora and Manjaro.
I was speaking in general terms not specifically about this op :)
Yast is still a good tool ;)

OpenSuse like any Linux Distro has a learning curve.
Also once you understand how GNU/Linux works, you don't really have to learn much when jumping to another distribution just how the new to you package manager works but you already knew that ;)

Members online