Root vs User install question

AMFA

Reaction score
Credits
I made a mistake, I am getting confused with how to use root. I installed Linux and post install went ahead and installed packages that I thought would be needed for all users such as display manager, window manager, and some other stuff. Then I created a new user and quickly realized many of the things I just installed were not accessible.

After some reading I figured out I should have created the user and assigned that user to groups (wheel, audio, etc). My question is if I have a user I install packages with sudo pacman -S would those packages then be available for all users (if I made more later) would the be available system wide?

How many users should I have it is only me using this computer, and should I disable root password since I can use sudo after install for anyhing? Sorry about all the questions just trying to be sure i am doing this properly. I will reinstall tomorrow and install all the packages from just a user.

Thank You

Alan, this is with Arch, isn't it?

Wiz

Thank you everyone, I think after reading the linked forms. I should always use a user not root, packages are shared so they would be system wife. Perfect, one of these days Ill get this... Thanks, hope everyone has a good night.

Perfect, one of these days Ill get this..

When you do, let us know. We all struggle from time to time, but we have a good community spirit and try to have each other's backs. Some of our people are bloody clever, I hang around in the hope that some of it will rub off. :)

Wizard

Members online