Roundcube can't receive emails

direktor

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

Can someone guide me how to test the mail software? I can send emails but can't receive. I have Dovecot - telnet to 143 port says Dovecot OK. Same with port 25. I get back mail delivery problem. 550. No mail shows in Roundcube. Log files maillog shows nothing, seems empty. It's clean install. On testing Exim log I get something like this:

pop3-login auth Error: passrd-file: stat (/etc/exim/domains/myserver/passwd) failed: No such file or directory

So what is wrong, how to check and how to fix it?

You are confusing two things about sending and receiving mail. Mail Transfer Agent(MTA's) send and receive mail, examples of those are exim and postfix. In order to read the mail you have to retrieve it with your mail client such as thunderbird or a webmail client such as roundcube. For you to retrieve your mail received by an MTA you have to have an imap/pop3 server configured, an example of an imap/pop3 server is dovecot. You first need to:
- Configure MTA correctly:
1. Smtp and smtpd restrictions
2. Type of Mailbox
3. Mail location
4. Authentication
- Configure dovecot correctly:
1. Mail location
2. Authentication
3. Password and Userdb

After these two are working correctly you can then setup roundcube to work. You will need to configure roundcube with an smtp server in order to be able to send mail from roundcube and an imap server in order to retrieve the mail which is received by your MTA.

The error you mention means it's looking for the passwd file with user details but the file doesn't exist so authentication fails. You can test mail locally by using the mail command, if it isn't available you can can install it. If you want to test receiving mail from outside of your hosted domain you can send an email from for example gmail.com to an existing mailbox in at your domain. Then check the maillogs to see if the other mailservers are able to connect and deliver mail to your mailserver.

Last edited:
Sending works, configured correctly. Receiving doesn't work. So how do I check receiving IMAP configurations? And detect what's wrong? So if the user files does not exist how do I create one?

Hello,

Can someone please check this logs and tell me why my roundcube can't receive emails? I think many errors, seems all f. up already: Errors

I need solution. I have all kinds of authentication errors in Exim, Dovecot and Roundcube.

Gday director, and welcome to linux.org

I believe you have made a fundamental mistake somewhere in your initial setup....without actually sitting beside you, it is impossible to know exactly where.

Have a slow read through the article I have linked below.....do not assume you have it right, because obviously you do not. Perseverance will get it right for you.
May I ask, do you really need the security offered by this type of program ?
Which Linux are you running ?

https://www.arubacloud.com/tutorial...mail-server-with-dovecot-on-ubuntu-18-04.aspx

Centos 7. I think there maybe intrusion into my server. From Italy and China. From the person I'm cooperating with.

I need solution. I have all kinds of authentication errors in Exim, Dovecot and Roundcube.
First of all since you are using centos7 you probably have exim installed from epel, so the tainted filename for search, is a known bug and it's still open.
pop3-login auth Error: passrd-file: stat (/etc/exim/domains/myserver/passwd) failed: No such file or directory
Means that the dovecot(or whatever imap/pop3 server you have installed) is searching for that file for authentication. Since it doesn't exist you are getting the error that it doesn't exist. All the other authentication errors in your logs are just people trying to loging into your imap server, I get those all the time on my dovecot.

You asked how to check if dovecot is working correctly, I am not going to write you a step for step tutorial when there is a perfectly good wiki page explains exactly that. But in short in order to setup users and authentication in 10-auth.conf(for example a passwdfile), then select the appropiate authentication file ending in ext(for example auth-passwdfile.conf.ext), create a passwd file containing the user information and the the encrypted password, then edit auth-passwdfile.conf.ext with the appropiate information. The dovecot wiki explains it in great detail, you just have to take the time to read it and try it out for yourself.

Last edited: