Rsync security with encrypted data

I

InverseTelecine

I have some private documents in Truecrypt containers that I want to backup to different truecrypt containers. I use rsync through grsync to backup all my other data to external drives, but I don't know enough about how rsync works to feel entirely comfortable using it to copy private encrypted data because it might be saving information about the data somewhere unencrypted.

My question is does rsync retain information like filenames and other information about the files its used on? Like in an index file somewhere? If it does, is there a way to specify where the index file is saved so I can encrypt it too? What about grsync? I always thought grsync was just a GUI for rsync, but it does allow the saving of profiles for backup jobs (maybe rsync does too; not sure) so I wonder if it's saving information somewhere.

Also a side question; is there anything wrong with backing up files between trucrypt containers like this? Is there a risk of data corruption or anything like that? It seems unlikely, but I thought I'd ask really quickly as long as I was here.

Thank you.

rsync only copies data from one location to another, it does not store anything itself.

Please note that Truecrypt is nolonger supported.
Warning: As of May 2014, development on TrueCrypt is discontinued and will no longer receive updates and fixes. Consider alternatives such as dm-crypt or tcplay. However, a Truecrypt fork seems to be in the works. See also [1] for an overview of the situation. Another TrueCrypt fork, VeraCrypt, is in active development: it is available in the AUR as veracrypt; note that VeraCrypt storage format is incompatible with TrueCrypt storage format.

I recommend switching to Tomg instead of Truecrypt .
https://www.dyne.org/software/tomb/

Thank you so much for the quick and concise reply ryanvade! Exactly what I needed to know about rsync.

It sucks about Truecrypt though. I'd just started to feel confident that it was stable and wasn't going to corrupt any of my data. But thank you for letting me know, and for the the recommendation. I'll check it out. Thank you again.

Members online

Latest posts