"RTFM"

I had a shoe repair shop for 45 years.
When I first started, I worked for an old German fellow. He had just bought a new stitcher to sew soles onto mens' shoes.
12-L Stitcher.png

He still had the old one stuck in the corner so I asked if I could take it apart and put it back together.
OK says he. Took me all winter in my spare time; but when I got it back together it worked. Even had 3 extra parts left over. {They were not really necessary}
As you might guess, there are a lot of gears, rollers, cams and various other parts in this machine: about 95% of them under the black cover on top.

Kinesthetic - is that another way of saying "Hands on learning"?

Old Geezer
Still at it for a while anyhow.
TC

ditto

my wife describes herself as a kinaesthetic learner

wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesthetic_learning

if i tell her or explain to her what to do it goes in one ear and out the other.

if i sit in front of her computer and show her, likewise.

but if she sits in front of her computer with me at her side, after 2 to 3 go's at it, she retains it

we get some new members who knowingly or unknowingly are kinesthetic and they cannot follow our directions. they get frustrated and we get frustrated.

the best advice i can give them is to seek out and contact a linux user group in their area, where they can meet with people and get the help they need

cheers

wizard
Just clicked on the link, wiz. It is exactly the method that I use the most.:D

Kinda like getting an aircraft into a strip that is too short to get it out of, ;)eh?

@VP9KS
Reminds me of a student I had one time.

Two brothers bought an Aeronca Chief - same as what I learned to fly in. I was the only instructor with tail dragger time so they became my students. One bro was fine. The other was not.

He did not want to do the airwork. So we spent 4 hours in the pattern without any success on his part.
Finally, on our last go around, I told him that I was going to land on the taxi strip next to the runway {small uncontrolled field - Riverview in Jenison MI}. He did not believe I could do it.
We rolled up to a stop just short of going onto the runway. He did not like what I told him next. Never saw him again.

BTW His bro went on and got his private license.

Just a digression from the Old Geezer again!
OG
TC

Virtual machines are a saviour for any kind of tinkering and especially with Linux. I have trashed countless distros of Linux fortunately all in the confines of a virtual machine. I use Linux mint as my main operating system and tinker around with other distros in a virtual box.if there’s anything I’m unsure how to do and what the results of that will be then I will just test it inside a virtual box and if I trash a system it’s no spilt milk

Virtual machines are a saviour for any kind of tinkering and especially with Linux. I have trashed countless distros of Linux fortunately all in the confines of a virtual machine. I use Linux mint as my main operating system and tinker around with other distros in a virtual box.if there’s anything I’m unsure how to do and what the results of that will be then I will just test it inside a virtual box and if I trash a system it’s no spilt milk
So - someone should "Read The Fine Manual" regarding virtual machines BEFORE they 'muck-up' their computer?
If only someone had told them to "RTFM" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :)

How did he expect to fly with no experience? Sounds like he needed to keep his feet on the ground. I can imagine what you said to him. Something like "You must become one with the aircraft, young padawan". :D:D
This makes me glad I don't fly :/ And wonder about those I did fly with :\

A user who is really interested in installing and using Linux will take the time to learn a little pre Linux how to so that the new Linux user can properly install Linux and have a good first Linux experience.

Most new Linux users don't do this and haphazardly install many different Linux distros only to keep having a bad first Linux experience.

I spent many days learning about Linux and how to install Linux properly and what software was available to use prior to installing and using Linux.

My first Linux install went without problems although I was confused at first I jump in and started becoming familiar with my new Linux distro.

In a matter of days I was no longer confused and was having fun learning about Linux.

RTFM is very appropriate imo.
This is exactly what I found to be the best way when I first started with Linux and still use with unexplored distros.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done it myself a time or two - like the time I accidentally formatted a guys Windows XP partition - oops :\

I deleted my wife's laptop HDD which had W10 when was installing MX on it because I'd no idea it was a UEFI system and never dealt with that before. Thing's the HDD had two partitions, one being the backup and apparently in a UEFI system deleting one gets the full disk erased, which it did. Luckily, I could recover most of her data but she was mad at me for a few weeks lol

I deleted my wife's laptop HDD which had W10 when was installing MX on it because I'd no idea it was a UEFI system and never dealt with that before.

Luckily, I could recover most of her data but she was mad at me for a few weeks lol
Boy that's a no win situation. :oops:
Them few week mads ain't good. :rolleyes:
I never touch the wife's laptop unless she asks. ;)

@Vrai
I so agree with you on this. I just started becoming an active member after not having used my account much since I created it. I also noticed it here people just installing Linux and than running into something and then asking for step by step guidance to help them fix their problem. I have no problem with people who actually want to learn how Linux works themselves, but people with an attitude just tell me what to do so my problem goes away attitude without actually wanting to learn from their problem just annoys me. Doing a google search, reading the manual or wiki is a small task to at least put some effort into trying to figure your problem before asking strangers on the internet who don't get paid to be your personal support desk.

Last edited:
I never touch the wife's laptop unless she asks.
She did ask me to replace W10 on her laptop with Linux, only I thought it was a BIOS-LEGACY system and when installing I chose the partition where windows was installed not the one used for backups, just to learn after that both were actually erased and data was gone, apparently that's a UEFI thing, luckily could recover most of it.

How did he expect to fly with no experience? Sounds like he needed to keep his feet on the ground. I can imagine what you said to him. Something like "You must become one with the aircraft, young padawan". :D:D
Now, with that little red Pitts, you really had to become one with the aircraft:p. You kinda put it on like a pair of pants, so to speak.

@Vrai
I so agree with you on this. I just started becoming an active member after not having used my account much since I created it. I also noticed it here people just installing Linux and than running into something and then asking for step by step guidance to help them fix their problem. I have no problem with people who actually want to learn how Linux works themselves, but people with an attitude just tell me what to do so my problem goes away attitude without actually wanting to learn from their problem just annoys me. Doing a google search, reading the manual or wiki is a small task to at least put some effort into trying to figure your problem before asking strangers on the internet who don't get paid to be your personal support desk.
You are not alone my friend! Sometimes people on other forums get frustrated also :rolleyes:
try_google.png

Members online