safe download sites

captjlance

Reaction score
Credits
wondering where to get a safe download of a multiboot program. alot of sites have tons of ads and banners trying to trick you into loading other software. I was looking at yumi but not set on it just want something from a reputable website

G'day captjlance , Welcome to linux.org

This fella (@wizardfromoz ) knows more about that anyone else on the site

Because I have put his name here, he will be alerted to your question.

he will probably appear in a puff of smoke...

We're not in Kansas any more, Toto!

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips over Brian's @Condobloke 's empty scotch bottle, considers turning him into a cane toad, but then his dog Belle might try to eat him)

@captjlance welcome to linux.org :)

Mate I have a number of ideas but I have to go out for some shopping for an hour. I make it 6:40 PM your time and I am 15 hours ahead, on Friday.

Let me know if you are already using a version of Linux and if so which, or are you confined to the Windozer for now?

Back soon

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

We're not in Kansas any more, Toto!

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips over Brian's @Condobloke 's empty scotch bottle, considers turning him into a cane toad, but then his dog Belle might try to eat him)

@captjlance welcome to linux.org :)

Mate I have a number of ideas but I have to go out for some shopping for an hour. I make it 6:40 PM your time and I am 15 hours ahead, on Friday.

Let me know if you are already using a version of Linux and if so which, or are you confined to the Windozer for now?

Back soon

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Speaking of Kansas, can you bless the rains, Wizard....? :3

wondering where to get a safe download of a multiboot program. alot of sites have tons of ads and banners trying to trick you into loading other software. I was looking at yumi but not set on it just want something from a reputable website
Welcome, good sir! :3

Thanks, Ya im still in nowin10! I was rooting for Geoworks! Tired of ms deciding what to support. I bought some monoprice touchscreens and no drivers, imagine that! but a whole list of drivers for linux, so here I come. Still have that paranoia of jumping out a window and getting a virus. Would be handy to have a multiboot but any info on google is bought and paid for so not sure where to download from

I don't know anything about multi boot programs such as yumi but the manufactures websites are usually secure.

I'd just pick a Linux distro and create a bootable usb media and give it a test drive.

Linux Lite or Linux Mint are a good place to start for the new Linux user.

What Nelson has said is quite true. :)

Cap(tjlance) - a good site to make the acquaintance of is AlternativeTo.net

If you Google (or search engine of your choice)

alternative to yumi

it will appear in the first few listings.

Visit there, and you will find a few booting solutions that are described as NOT for multi-booting, followed by a bunch that do.

Check the entries listed for ones applying to windozey, and you will find a number.

The ones that cover both Windows and Linux are doubly worth noting, because if you like their performance under Windows, you can simply use the Linux version under Linux.

Ventoy and Easy2Boot fit into that category, and there are others.

Avagudweegend, and stay safe

Wizard

Based on @captain-sensible 's posts I recently experimented with Ventoy to make a multi-boot USB.
It worked quite well and was not very difficult.
I put 5 or 6 Linux distros on the USB and each booted just fine.

Also, VirusTotal is a useful site for checking software downloads AND web sites for known malware.

Based on @captain-sensible 's posts I recently experimented with Ventoy to make a multi-boot USB.
It worked quite well and was not very difficult.
I put 5 or 6 Linux distros on the USB and each booted just fine.

Also, VirusTotal is a useful site for checking software downloads AND web sites for known malware.
Thanks. Lots of good info here. I checked that alternative to.net I can’t believe I hadn’t used that before. It tells you who wrote the program and how to access it directly. Feeling good about switching to linux

ventoy is pretty good and easy compared to some other alternatives. For slackware on a usb i wouldn't use it since "Alien Bob" has done an iso2usb.sh script which is specifically for Slackware and also gives persistence. The Ventoy developer is moving on with new releases on github. So far i can boot latest knoppix but not get persistence working with Ventoy. One advantage of Ventoy if your coming from Windows to Linux is that you can get several Linux distro candidates; put then all on a usb stick and try them

Hear, hear :)

Ours (website) has a community-based spirit which has just grown exponentially over the last 3 years and 4 months I have been here (and was undoubtedly there before my arrival :)) and we hope you'll enjoy it for years to come.

Bordering on off-topic, but because your focus is on safe and secure downloads -

When you download a number of Linux .isos, you want to check their integrity and completeness, not just in case they have been compromised but also in case of download or power supply glitches.

This is done with hashsums, algorithms unique to each file or package, and many Windows and MacOS users go blithely through their online experience without even knowing they exist in their OS too. The developers seldom mention it. Linux is more security-focused and that need not be a burden, just a case of developing good habits.

In Linux itself there are tools such as GTKHash available in most Distros, or hashsums can be calculated through the command line interface (Terminal).

For Windows users, there are also tools (including one Microsoft allow a free download for, which is FCIV - https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001846.htm

... or there are a bunch of tools listed here at Raymond's

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/7-tools-verify-file-integrity-using-md5-sha1-hashes/

You want to use a strength of at least SHA1, or the industry standard is now SHA256.

These terms will become familiar to you.

HTH

Wizard

Members online