SATA hard disk not recognized

nicovon

Reaction score
Credits
there seems to be a problem with the hard disk. I just wanted to know if I can fix it somehow or I should throw it away. the problem is that the hard disk is not recognized.

https://pastebin.com/2BzytHdC

If you go to a console, and type fdisk -l

SATA disks usually show up as /dev/sdX (sda, or sdb, or something like that).

do you see this disk at all? If not... it's probably toast.
If it's does see it.... try creating a new partition table on it.

You'll probably need sudo to make that command work. Your pastebin report shows sda, so I'm guessing that fdisk will also see it. There is too much useless output from pastebin, but I did find this:
[ 49.864475] sda: unable to read partition table

So, as @dos2unix suggests, you may be able to create a new partition table and save the drive from the scrapyard.

However, I also saw this in pastebin:
[ 93.807979] FAT-fs (sdb1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

I think this is your Bodhi Linux live USB drive, and it's possible that it may not be reliable. And you can't run fsck on it when it's running... fsck can't run on a live or mounted file system. So, you have to consider what you want to do. You can take a chance with it anyway to fdisk the hard drive, or use another computer to fsck your Bodhi USB, or create a new live USB.

Good luck!

You'll probably need sudo to make that command work. Your pastebin report shows sda, so I'm guessing that fdisk will also see it. There is too much useless output from pastebin, but I did find this:

So, as @dos2unix suggests, you may be able to create a new partition table and save the drive from the scrapyard.

However, I also saw this in pastebin:

I think this is your Bodhi Linux live USB drive, and it's possible that it may not be reliable. And you can't run fsck on it when it's running... fsck can't run on a live or mounted file system. So, you have to consider what you want to do. You can take a chance with it anyway to fdisk the hard drive, or use another computer to fsck your Bodhi USB, or create a new live USB.

Good luck!

did you read this?

[ 2211.157208] sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] tag#8 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[ 2211.157211] sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] tag#8 Sense Key : Medium Error [current]
[ 2211.157214] sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] tag#8 Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
[ 2211.157216] sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] tag#8 CDB: Read(10) 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 00
[ 2211.157218] print_req_error: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0

did you read this?

[ 2211.157208] sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] tag#8 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[ 2211.157211] sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] tag#8 Sense Key : Medium Error [current]
[ 2211.157214] sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] tag#8 Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
[ 2211.157216] sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] tag#8 CDB: Read(10) 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 00
[ 2211.157218] print_req_error: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
Yes, I did. But if you can't read the partition table, nothing else really matters.

Cheers

SATA disks usually show up as /dev/sdX (sda, or sdb, or something like that).

do you see this disk at all? If not... it's probably toast.
If it's does see it.... try creating a new partition table on it.
no, unfortunately I can't see /dev/sda. the fdisk - l command, it takes a while, but then in the end it only shows me /dev/sdb which is the live usb stick

As atanere said, if you can't read the partition table, you can't recover the data.
There are professional data recovery services that can take a few days and cost $$$$
that can recover this for you if you absolutely need it. But the disk itself looks hosed.

It means it is not recoverable.

You need a new hard drive.

sorry. I'm not English-speaking. what does hosed mean?
Oops, sorry for that. As @Condobloke said, the drive no longer works. :(

Just for your reference, the slang is fairly common. You may see "hosed" or "hosed up" to refer to anything that is broken or not working properly. It does not always mean a permanent condition though... sometimes something that is "hosed up" can be repaired or restored.

Cheers

Members online