sbopkg

VP9KS

Reaction score
Credits
While most Linux distributions come with a vast array of programs right out of the box, sometimes there is a program that you wish to add.. With distributions like say, Mint Cinnamon, this is easily corrected by just going to the Synaptic Package Manager, selecting what you want, and installing it. No problem, right?

In Slackware it is a wee bit more involved;). First off, the program you want may not be packaged correctly for Slackware (i.e. with the .tgz extension). If it is, there is no problem. But you could look for it on the Slackware builders page, slackbuilds.org. They have many pre-built packages, divided into categories such as system, libraries, audio, multimedia, etc.

If you find the package that you want listed there, click on it to open it's information page. Among other things you will find a line which states: this program requires .... These requirements are its Dependencies. If they are not already installed on your computer, installation of your desired program will fail. The Synaptic Package Manager would automatically check for dependencies, and take care of it for you, but Slackware expects you to administer your system personally.

For example, let's say that you want to run the program FLDIGI. It is not in the base installation for Slackware, but if you check slackbuilds.org, you will find version 4.1.20 listed in the HAM section. Clicking on it, shows the information page. This shows that it has 2 dependencies, portaudio, found in the Development section, and fltk, found in the Libraries section. Now you have the information required to complete the installation of fldigi.

This is done using the sbopkg command in a terminal. The only problem is that sbopkg is not a command that the bash shell recognizes, so what to do?

First, download sbopkg from https://www.sbopkg.org/downloads.php

The package is named: sbopkg-0.38.2-noarch-1_wsr.tgz

Next, open a terminal window, as root, and install it by typing:
installpkg sbopkg-version-noarch-1_wsr.tgz
In this case replace version with 0.38.2 because that is the latest version.

When it completes type:

sbopkg

It will give the feedback:
The following directories do not exist /tmp/SBo (C) reate or (A) bort.

If you Type c it will create the needed directory. You can change the defaults for sbopkg in /etc/sbopkg/sbopkg.conf, but I use the default parameters.

Now you will see a directory with a blue background. First run sync. Then Browse the listings. This will change to a menu of the main categories. Go to the Development category, and scroll down to highlight portaudio. Select que, to add it to the que. Then go to the Libraries category, scroll down to highlight fltk, and add it to the que. This takes care of the dependencies, now for fldigi. Return to the category listing, and select Ham. Scroll down to highlight fldigi, and add it to the que. Then go to the main menu, and select process que, then install programs.

Then you can sit back and watch the scrolling on your screen as your shiny new program, and its dependencies are installed. See, it wasn't all that hard, was it?o_Oo_O:p:p Never mind how long it took me the first time!!:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Happy Trails,
Paul

P.S. I updated this 2/19/18 to reflect the newer version of FLDIGI, and found that the link for sbopkg did not work as I had entered it. Sorry if anyone had problems:oops:. I have corrected it, and checked to make certain that it works.:D

Happy Trails,
Paul

Last edited:

Oh, one more thing. Each time you use sbopkg to install a program, it leaves residual debris in the /tmp/Sbo folder. You might consider giving it a flush once in a while (remember to jiggle the handle!:rolleyes::rolleyes:).

Happy Trails
Paul

I edited the instructions for loading / installing sbopkg in an attempt to make it clearer. Hopefully It worked:D.

Happy Trails
Paul

Sorry, but I forgot to show the completion of this project:oops:. Once the install completes and you run FLDIGI, you get this screen. Then the fun begins. This program will decode numerous digital modes of communication. Just input the audio from your receiver to your sound card, and Presto!:cool:

fldigi.png

Happy Trails,
Paul

P.S. It also will encode the digital modes, for transmission!

This software works really well with the output of my latest toy: the RSP1A Software Defined radio. For instance, here is a screenshot of decoding a Weather fax (WEFAX) received Today on 9.109 Mhz Upper Side Band.
fldigi Screenshot1.png

Last edited:
Here is a screen shot of the bottom part of the same printout. If you look closely, you can see Florida, and Cuba, in the lower left corner.
fldigi Screenshot 2.png

Happy Trails,
Paul

Never heard of that program before.
Is it in the Slack Builds repo?

Yes, check out the first part of this thread. I describe where and how to get it running.:)

P.S. I just looked at my initial posting, and found that the version of SBOPKG was out of date, so I corrected it to 0.38.2. The fldigi package was also 4.1.20, so I made that change also.

Last edited:
Yes, check out the first part of this thread. I describe where and how to get it running.:)
Thanks-
I'm not running Slackware anymore however I can look for it for Debian.
Enjoy the weekend!

Yeah, the synaptic package manager in mint cinnamon also has it. It works well in Mint cinnamon. I have had a few problems getting it to decode properly in Raspian though. I still have to work out those bugs some day.:D

Yeah, the synaptic package manager in mint cinnamon also has it. It works well in Mint cinnamon. I have had a few problems getting it to decode properly in Raspian though. I still have to work out those bugs some day.:D
That will work for me as I've got LM Cinnamon installed.
Bugs can be tuff to clean up, good luck.

Members online