Schedule The Update Notifier

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
Is there anyway to schedule the update notifier to check for updates every there's an update available?

Is there anyway to schedule the update notifier to check for updates every there's an update available?
I'm looking at the Ubuntu 18.04 (Gnome) Software & Updates tool, and it has two settings... and I'm not sure what the difference is between them, so maybe someone else will know that. The first setting "Automatically check for updates" will only let you check Daily as the most frequent. But the other setting "When there are other updates" will let you choose Display immediately. Maybe that is what you want, but I'm not sure.

You might consider switching distros to Linux Mint. The update scheduler in the MATE edition that I'm using will let you "auto-refresh" your updates by how many days, how many hours, and how many minutes. So, if you wanted, it would check once per minute. I would generally discourage that, though, because it will take up a fair amount of bandwidth and resources to run nearly continuously like that. I think the default setting for Ubuntu at Daily is a very reasonable choice.

Cheers

Okay, but also is there a command to trigger the update notifier to check for updates?

Okay, but also is there a command to trigger the update notifier to check for updates?

With Linux Mint, yes... there is a Refresh button to manually check. I don't see that with Ubuntu.

So, instead, you can use the terminal...
Code:
sudo apt-get update

If you want the updates to download and install, then do this....
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Cheers

Also is there a Notifier for the Synaptic Package Manager to notify of new updates?

Okay.

If you want to just have any updates applied as they become available, with or without exercising scrutiny over what is being installed, then

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/automatic-updates.html

... may be your best bet.

Be aware that if not configured exactly, it may start a job as you are trying to shut down the computer.

Cheers

Wizard

Staff online

Latest posts