Screen Flickers then Shuts Down

S

SMBullet

Hello,
I've been looking all over for a solution to this problem and didn't really know where to turn so I decided to start here. Here we go:

About a week and a half ago, in my Ubuntu 12.04 boot, I noticed my computer was burning up and I can't remember whether it shut off itself or I did because I noticed the fan wasn't running. Anyways, I boot into Windows 7 to see if the fan would turn on but it didn't and it went into thermal shutdown.

I took out the fan and tried powering it with a power supply but it was broken.

This is the fan I got:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-Comp...2z-G62t-G62m-G62x-G42t-CPU-Fan-/330945432154?
I'm not sure if it's after market or the manufacturer replacement fan. It's probably after market.

Fast forward to Tuesday when my fan comes in; I install it with ease and I boot into Ubuntu. The fan works, but after about 5-7 minutes of use the screen flickers a couple times and shuts down. No error messages; it were as if you ripped the battery out of the laptop. I restart to see if it happens again and it does but this time approximately 15-30 seconds after booting up. (This is the common trend: when I start it cold, it gets 5-7 min, subsequent restarts get 15-30 sec. This leads me to believe that Ubuntu thinks it's overheating but isn't getting correct temperature data from BIOS.)

I boot into Windows 7 to see if this happens there. It doesn't. I can use Windows for hours with out it shutting down. The strange thing is, it doesn't even feel warm. I know what it's like for my laptop to burn up. I've run it to the point where touching the metal ports could burn skin and it still would take some to put it into thermal shutdown. So basically I can guarantee the computer isn't actually overheating. I also tried updating BIOS.

I then took my computer apart again to see if I screwed up and couldn't find anything except for a wire going to the screen being pinched by the hinge (which I thought was the problem but it's now appearing to be a lot less likely because the screen wouldn't cut out like clockwork). Still the same thing.

I tried being in root in tty while the shut down occurs. The only message I got was just the wireless adapters shutting off before it crashed. I'll attach the picture I took.

The reason why I've decided to post here instead an Ubuntu forum is because the problem persists when I've tried running the trial on my live flash drive for Ubuntu 12.04, 13.10, and Fedora 19. So I think this is a Linux issue in general.

My guesses:
-Linux doesn't know how to handle the drivers for the fan. (This is unlikely because I thought it was handled by BIOS.)
-Linux isn't reading the temperature data from BIOS correctly. (This is unlikely because the temperature has nothing to do with the fan so it shouldn't have changed. As far as I know the fan has three wires, Power, Ground, and Tachometer.)
-My computer is actually overheating and Linux is smart enough to actually shut down and Windows isn't. (This is unlikely because it doesn't feel warm and Windows has gone into thermal shutdown when my system has gotten too hot before.)
-I screwed something up putting it back together each time. (This is always a possibility.)
-This is a display/video problem. Maybe my GPU was damaged last thermal shutdown. (This is unlikely because it works fine in Windows.)

I know I labeled everything as "unlikely", but if I thought something was likely, I wouldn't be posting.

My computer:
-Compaq Presario CQ62-220US
-Known battery issue (I occasionally get messages on start up in Windows saying I should replace it. It has a terrible battery life.)

If you guys have any insight/suggestions/comments/jokes, I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks in Advance,
SMBullet

Attachments

• ubuntuCrash.jpg
    ubuntuCrash.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 1,290

Sounds to me like Ubuntu might be thinking your battery is dead.

Does it shutdown when plugged in?

Try looking at power settings.

It does shut off when I'm plugged in. Maybe it it doesn't notice even though the charging symbol is displayed. I'll check that now.

Power settings recognizes that it is charging and displays the correct percentage of charge.

If you boot to a live CD/USB do you have the same problem?

I didn't see it, but apparently the same thing just happened in Windows according to my friend. He was using it just a moment ago.

Dust bunnies?
Dust bunnies are harmful to electronics, as they can obstruct air flow through heat sinks, raising temperatures significantly, and therefore shortening the life of electronic components
- Wikipedia.

Try vacuuming the vents...

My vents are clear. I did that while I reassembled. I don't see how I could have busted hardware if Windows works with 100+ with the exception of that incident. I ordered a new battery so I'll see how that works.

Update: Now Ubuntu doesn't recognize a battery is present but does stay on when I unplug.

Ok, so my replacement battery is in but the problem persists. However, instead of flickering first this time, it just turns off, and it takes a little longer (1-2 min instead of 30 sec).

According to lm-sensors, right before it crashed again, the PCI adapter measured 54.5 degrees Celsius and a Virtual adapter I didn't recognize measured 54.0 degrees Celsius. And scratch my last post, it does still flicker before it shuts down.

I'm going to assume that it's not a thermal issue but I'll try to find a program that will measure CPU temp before jumping to conclusions.

I just tried running memtest but it crashed around 80% into the 2nd pass (about an hour in). I would imagine it's a different problem then because if it bad RAM I don't think it would crash during memtest. When I tried to boot into Ubuntu, it crashed before it even finished booting which has been the quickest so far. Right after, in Windows, Core Temp showed the CPU temp as being 67 degrees Celsius. I would consider this hot but not crash-worthy.

67° C sounds a little warm, what is your max temp set at in the BIOS?
Does it still run good in Windows?

Since looks like battery is not the problem, sounds like Ubuntu is not running your fan fast enough to me.

Check your fan speeds and CPU speeds in each OS if possible.

Have you tried updating the BIOS?

READ THIS

I can't find where my max temp is set at in BIOS. I don't think I have control over that.
It still runs good in Windows.
My fan speeds are not accessible through any third party software in Windows and lm-sensors isn't displaying fan speed even though I think it should.
CPU speed in Windows is approximately 796MHz at 4% in each core at the moment (just Chrome open). I didn't check Ubuntu yet.
Yes I did update my BIOS.

CPU speed is around 800MHz in Ubuntu and floating around 15% per core upon shutdown.

If you check the Ubuntu forums, you'll find this is not uncommon or new problem.

Maybe there, you can find an exact solution for you. Most seem to indicate a problem with drivers.

Have you tried another distro?

I use Ubuntu Studio as my main OS, give it a try.

If you check the Ubuntu forums, you'll find this is not uncommon or new problem.

Maybe there, you can find an exact solution for you. Most seem to indicate a problem with drivers.

Have you tried another distro?

I use Ubuntu Studio as my main OS, give it a try.

I have tried a live boot for Fedora and had the same problem. I've checked other forums and it just looks people have been having legitimate overheating issues which I don't think is my issue.

You should probably get Windows Assistance. They would know what is wrong. Possibly. If not then you should (if you want to use Ubuntu again) get a new laptop. That's the only solution I got. Sorry.