Screen Saver for Linux

the controls to set the screensaver [time out etc] can be found in System Settings [if Cinnamon third from top on left hand panel] "screensavers" per-say are not included

so i suggest you read

BWiz

Thank "brickwizard", I see screen savers are not included but if there a 3rd party screen saver I can install?

@JoseHRod

you could try installing xscreensaver it is still in the ubuntu repository [assuming you are using Mint 20 and not Mint lmde4]

A few years back Linux Mint had a handful of screen savers but as times change,unless you're using a CRT monitor it's a waste of time...just use the default one. ;)

Screensaver's aren't necessary these days but some of them are really cool and I still use them just on account of I can.

LXQT DE offers a slew of different ones that are really cool.

I'd like a slideshow of pictures of my dogs as a screensaver. Is that possible in linux?

Where can I find a screen saver running in Linux Mint?
I'd like a slideshow of pictures of my dogs as a screensaver. Is that possible in linux?
@Wixen, you're using Linux Lite, right? (And the OP is using Linux Mint.) You both should have a screensaver built-in, including for slideshows. Click your Menu button in the lower left corner, type in screensaver and click on it to bring up its Preferences. You may need to first enable the screensaver with the slide switch at the top of the Preferences window. Then scroll down the list of Themes on the left and click on Slideshow. Finally, click the icon below the Themes (with 4 horizontal lines) so you can set the Slideshow specific preferences, like the Location of your photos, and whether to randomize or stretch the images. I don't see a setting to control how long each photo stays before switching to the next one. Be sure to Activate the screensaver and set the idle time before it engages.

You may also like to investigate having your desktop wallpaper change at set intervals to give a similar slideshow effect while you're using the computer, rather than when it is sleeping. If so, right-click on an open area of your desktop and select Desktop Settings. This shows the built-in wallpaper you can select, but below the pictures you can change the Folder to where your own photos are stored. Then near the bottom you can tick the box to "Change the background" and set the interval and whether you want the photos changed randomly.

These settings are available in many Ubuntu-based distros, I think. The above details were found in Linux Lite 5.4. Linux Mint (20.1 MATE Edition) has a similar screensaver, but there are fewer options for both screensaver and desktop backgrounds. The slideshow screensaver in Mint (MATE) is called "Pictures folder" and photos would need to be specifically moved there to work (~/Pictures). The Mint screensaver seems to have many more basic screensavers included than Lite.

Last edited:
I'm running Linux Mint 19.3 and it only came with a handful of screensavers.
Luckily for me the one I choose works.
It should be in your Settings:-

I've used the commands in the article mentioned below to install screensavers many times over the years and it works!

If you'd like to install extra screensavers see this article in the link below.

Can someone help me with this please. I just got upgraded to Cinamon 21. I did not think there would be any changes from Mint 19. But apparently, there are. I cannot find any freaking setting that allow me to have photos as part of the screensaver. Is there something I need to download? I've gone through every thing and cannot find how to get this running on this version. What do I do? I'm not the sharpest pencil in the pack when it comes to some of the terminology that I'm faced with. Your help is appreciated.

@Wixen, you're using Linux Lite, right? (And the OP is using Linux Mint.) You both should have a screensaver built-in, including for slideshows. Click your Menu button in the lower left corner, type in screensaver and click on it to bring up its Preferences. You may need to first enable the screensaver with the slide switch at the top of the Preferences window. Then scroll down the list of Themes on the left and click on Slideshow. Finally, click the icon below the Themes (with 4 horizontal lines) so you can set the Slideshow specific preferences, like the Location of your photos, and whether to randomize or stretch the images. I don't see a setting to control how long each photo stays before switching to the next one. Be sure to Activate the screensaver and set the idle time before it engages.

You may also like to investigate having your desktop wallpaper change at set intervals to give a similar slideshow effect while you're using the computer, rather than when it is sleeping. If so, right-click on an open area of your desktop and select Desktop Settings. This shows the built-in wallpaper you can select, but below the pictures you can change the Folder to where your own photos are stored. Then near the bottom you can tick the box to "Change the background" and set the interval and whether you want the photos changed randomly.

These settings are available in many Ubuntu-based distros, I think. The above details were found in Linux Lite 5.4. Linux Mint (20.1 MATE Edition) has a similar screensaver, but there are fewer options for both screensaver and desktop backgrounds. The slideshow screensaver in Mint (MATE) is called "Pictures folder" and photos would need to be specifically moved there to work (~/Pictures). The Mint screensaver seems to have many more basic screensavers included than Lite.
It apparently is not in Cinnamon, unless I'm missing something.

G'day, and Welcome to Linux.org

This thread dates back to 2021...very few people will actually see this

So....please start a new thread...HERE

1. Right click on your desktop and select Change Desktop Background from the drop down menu.
2. Look at the bottom left hand corner of the Desktop Background Manager and click on the plus sign.
3. Add a new folder that you have pictures in <or> select from your Pictures.

Admittedly, screensavers are no longer strictly necessary nowadays; LCD/LED screens work completely different to the old cathode-ray tubes that elderly CRT monitors employed.

But I agree that they CAN be 'fun'.

We have a screen-saver utility built around xscreensaver. I have two favourites; 'Scooter', and 'Atlantis'....

Mike. ;)

Members online