Seagate Expansion 3 TB External HD

70 Tango Charlie

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings all,
I have a new Seagate Expansion Ext. HD I just bought. Now I see that it only comes with Windows support or Apple.
Is there any way I can get this to work on Linux Mint 19.2? Or any distro of Linux?
Thanks for any and all replies.
Old Geezer
TC

@arochester
Thanks a bunch for the link. That answers lots of questions. As per usual, it also raises new ones - as I perused their site. I just have to s_l_o_w down and not skip around too much.
But...I am a 'kid' in the Linux candy store, and flit from one type of candy to another.
Old Geezer :cool:
TC

Honestly... I've never seen a had drive that didn't work with Linux. (modern distro)

You may have to re-create a partition table. (definitely use gpt for 3 T)
I have two of these. I have 5 computers in my house (only 1 has win10 on it)
all the rest are linux. I am anxious to try the Linux 5.4 kernel, as it supports ExFat
natively (no external fuse required).

Hi @dos2unix
I'm afraid you lost me in this: (definitely use gpt for 3 T). I need your help in understanding this.
Seems like some simple stuff gives me the most trouble understanding.
Like you, I have almost completely switched over to Linux on 2 desktops and 3 lappies. I also have an old Chromebook, a netbook with W 10, and a 9 yr. old MacBook. {Those 3 I don't do much with anymore, so just going to leave them for posterity}.
Thanks.
Old Geezer
TC

Hey there TC,

What i'd do is open up a file explorer type window.. also a terminal tailing /var/log/syslog (as root), then plug it in and see what kind of info you see. I'm betting it'll show right up in the file explorer window as a new mounted drive.

Worst case, it doesn't, but you'll see a bunch of lines scroll by in syslog with its hardware address like /dev/sdb.. in which case, you can use fdisk or gparted to create some partitions and then format them with mkfs tools.

@Rob
I do thank you for that info. I will follow your advice and see what I get.
My main cp {that I am using right now} is an HP desktop running LM 19.2 Tina and it would not recognize the Seagate.
Funny that it showed right up when I plugged it into the lappie that has 10 Linux distros on it. Go figure.
Anyhow, thanks very much.
TC

Members online