Searching for some clarity about this forum.

jwrenx

Reaction score
Credits
I am new to this forum and within the first 20 minutes I have noticed a huge aversion for Microsoft (MS) Windows.How is it that folks struggle to run a Windows 10 machine but find Linux simple to use.

I have a hybrid Windows and Linux environment leveraging each for their strength. Neither are overly difficult to understand, secure, or work with.

I think no matter what Linux forum you visit, you'll find most Linux enthusiasts dislike MS and Windows. Most people who move to Linux have grown tired of MS charging for it's OS and the apps (office) that they sell. And they dictate what you can and can't have on your computer. Like they are forcing all users to migrate to Windows 10 and in Windows 10, they force you to get updates and reboot, even when you're not ready or want to. They don't support this piece of hardware anymore on 10 or they don't support that version of an application anymore. So you're constantly spending more money because you have Windows.

As far as having difficulty with Windows but not Linux, once you get accustomed to something it becomes easy and the thing that used to be easy, that you never use becomes hard. Use it or Lose (memory) :).

Not to mention that for pretty much all of it's history it's been closed source and the Linux community embraces open source. Those concepts are at odds with each other.

I think no matter what Linux forum you visit, you'll find most Linux enthusiasts dislike MS and Windows. Most people who move to Linux have grown tired of MS charging for it's OS and the apps (office) that they sell. And they dictate what you can and can't have on your computer. Like they are forcing all users to migrate to Windows 10 and in Windows 10, they force you to get updates and reboot, even when you're not ready or want to. They don't support this piece of hardware anymore on 10 or they don't support that version of an application anymore. So you're constantly spending more money because you have Windows.

As far as having difficulty with Windows but not Linux, once you get accustomed to something it becomes easy and the thing that used to be easy, that you never use becomes hard. Use it or Lose (memory) :).

Not to mention that for pretty much all of it's history it's been closed source and the Linux community embraces open source. Those concepts are at odds with each other.

Much of the rhetoric seems to paint a picture of "Linux or Windows".

It seems like this but with operating systems.

Both have their own use cases and things they do better than the other.

I seem to be the odd ball out on this forum, I run a Windows 2k16 domain at home with Windows 10 pro systems for gaming, business, and my wife. I run quite a few rPi's for quite a few reasons and an ESXi server running many Linux based security appliances (elastastack, pfsense, and snort to name a few).

That's great that you fully embrace MS and Windows. You asked why we feel the way we do and I told you why I believe most of us feel this way. You don't have to agree with me but don't come to a Linux forum, expecting people to love Windows and all that it offers. If you want that there are MS forums you can go to. It doesn't matter where you go in life, you're going to find that people like what they like and think that people who like something else are wrong (iPhone vs Android, White Sox vs Cubs, Windows vs Linux). However, here you're generally not going to be berated for it. You might start a debate but I don't think anyone's going to say you're wrong for your love of Windows, but don't tell us we're wrong for not liking Windows.

Last edited:
For me, it's a matter of frequency. I run Windows so infrequently these days, that every time I start it, it has to install updates from the last time I ran it. And before I exit it, it has downloaded new updates yet again. This is not pleasant, and Microsoft gives me no control over this process. If I'd run it more frequently, the updates might be smaller and faster, but I don't. I only run Windows for one last lonely application, and it's days are numbered too.

Have you read Microsoft's Privacy Statement? It's some SIXTY-FIVE PAGES long if you print it. No thanks, I'll pass. (This number is what Firefox tells me if printing from this link. Don't forget to "Expand All" so you get the whole document.) Wow, 65 pages... it's grown since I last looked and it was about 50 pages. All of this legalese is not to explain how they respect and will protect my privacy... it's how I am consenting for them to use and abuse it by using their products. Sad, very sad. :( This is not a business model that I wish to support.

Cheers

I am new to this forum and within the first 20 minutes I have noticed a huge aversion for Microsoft (MS) Windows.How is it that folks struggle to run a Windows 10 machine but find Linux simple to use.

I have a hybrid Windows and Linux environment leveraging each for their strength. Neither are overly difficult to understand, secure, or work with.

It's about freedom, choice, integrity, ethics, and business practices. But mostly freedom.
And with Microsoft's latest iteration of their operating system their unethical practices and poor quality control are quite simply intolerable.

I just discovered Linux one day and checked it out and decided to use it as a daily driver when Windows XP EOL became a reality.

Bottom line Linux does what I need to do and it's free. ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Wife uses Windows 10 and has no complaints and that's good for me.

Windows 10 stays updated if you leave your computer on and you can control when the computer restarts to complete the updates.

I'm not a Windows 10 hater although I just don't care for it and therefore have zero use for it.

My whole family loves Windows 10 and refuses to even try Linux much less use Linux.

I guess this makes me an oddball which I'm cool with because I am an oddball.
I'm perfectly happy running Linux on desktops from 2007 that I pieced together from spare parts and still use a mechanical hard drive.

I know what you are thinking so here's the proof. :eek:o_O

Code:
thomas@hp-pavilion-a6200n:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: hp-pavilion-a6200n Kernel: 4.15.0-50-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1) Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
Machine:   Device: desktop System: HP-Pavilion product: GN556AA-ABA a6200n serial: N/A
           Mobo: ECS model: Nettle2 v: 1.0 serial: N/A BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.12 date: 06/11/2007
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (-MCP-) arch: K8 rev.F+ cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 8036
           clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 2000 MHz 2: 2000 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] bus-ID: 00:0d.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: [email protected]
           OpenGL: renderer: NV4C version: 2.1 Mesa 18.2.8 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:05.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-50-generic
Network:   Card: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: ec00 bus-ID: 00:07.0
           IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 82.3GB (7.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDS72168 size: 82.3GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 75G used: 5.9G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 150 Uptime: 1:42 Memory: 748.3/5834.7MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56
thomas@hp-pavilion-a6200n:~$

G'day @jwrenx and welcome to linux.org :)

I think if you type into our search facility top-right

dual boot windows

you'll find 191 references to get you started on how we help people to run Windows alongside Linux.

Search is restricted - "run alongside Windows", "keep my Windows" &c are all permutations that would reveal thousands more examples here.

If someone says they wish to keep their Windows ... we help them.

If someone says they want to replace their Windows with Linux, we help them check they have personal data safeguarded, and that they can continue to get the functionality of Windows apps in a Linux environment. We recommend alternativeto.com to that effect.

For FOSS apps that are cross-platform, such as Libre Office, Open Office, GIMP, Firefox, Thunderbird, and hundreds of others, users can try them in Windows first.

As you say

I am new to this forum...

Try a few Linux, only takes a USB stick or a Virtual Machine.

I run 90+ Linux over 4 rigs at home. Why? I like Linux, and every one I use is used by someone here. I have 2 rigs with Windows 10, restricted on one to 55 GB still works. Why? To help people here.

I can provide some more "clarity about this forum", but I am still chuckling (not laughing at you), and it is my Friday evening here in Oz, so

Avagudweegend, all :D:D

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts