separate boot partition for multiple system

E

enhu

I seem to encounter errors when I tried to create a partition and install the while system in sda1 and in it is also the /boot. On the other partition is another linux distro but uses the /boot of sda1.
what are the effects to the hard drive if you don't separate boot partition for multiple system in your hard drive?

From what I recall there can only be one active boot partition, so to set up multiple boot partitions would be nothing more than wasting a partition. What do you mean by "and install the while system in sda1 and in it is also the /boot"? Are you trying to install an OS while the hard drive partition(s) are already mounted?

lets say you have a fedora installed on your first partition and of course it has /boot in it.
and let say we will install another OS in your 2nd partition which you will just have to copy the vmlinuz, and initrd.gz to boot the 2nd OS.

adding a list in the menu.lst in the /boot of the first partition is required then.

lets say you have a fedora installed on your first partition and of course it has /boot in it.
and let say we will install another OS in your 2nd partition which you will just have to copy the vmlinuz, and initrd.gz to boot the 2nd OS.

adding a list in the menu.lst in the /boot of the first partition is required then.

I'm not completely sure what you're saying, I apologize. But if you're saying what I think, and that basically you have to copy the 2nd OS's kernel (vmlinuz & possibly initrd-img) to the /boot directory/partition of the first OS, that's wrong.

You can have a separate /boot directory for every OS (and in fact, for Linux you have to I believe). You just set up another entry in menu.lst specifying the new path of the kernel & ramdisk. I.e.: if the other OS is installed on sda2, and there's no ramdisk/initrd-img, the entry will look like:

Code:
title Second OS
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.42.3

If I mis-read your question I sorry, please let me know.

Staff online

Members online