server is becoming slow with kworker process

aprillmy

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,

I am new to Linux. I always use servers to run Matlab there. I just found my Matlab is extremely slow and I have checked the top operation.

The first four process makes me confusing. Does anyone have experience what is going on here and what I can do to make the server faster?

Thank you!
3494215922D30C038BE23025C3C48095.jpg

The first four process makes me confusing. Does anyone have experience what is going on here and what I can do to make the server faster?

Hi @aprillmy, and welcome! The kworker process is the kernel doing work. So it is not uncommon to see multiple instances of it, and especially, I would think, for a server. If there seems to be an excessive amount, you would need to investigate what task or tasks are spawning those processes. The top command response you showed doesn't seem to be too memory or CPU intensive... was Matlab misbehaving at this time?

Cheers

Hi @aprillmy, and welcome! The kworker process is the kernel doing work. So it is not uncommon to see multiple instances of it, and especially, I would think, for a server. If there seems to be an excessive amount, you would need to investigate what task or tasks are spawning those processes. The top command response you showed doesn't seem to be too memory or CPU intensive... was Matlab misbehaving at this time?

Cheers
Thank you for your answer. Actually, the server is so slow that I can not open Matlab at the moment.

Last edited:
Thank you for that, Mengyu :). 谢谢

I do not know much about Servers, but if I ask for you to answer a small number of questions you could have the answers ready for someone who can help.

1. What is the Linux you are using as the Server, for example Ubuntu Server 18.4 LTS (long term support)?

2. What are the specifications for your computer?

You can give us the specs by going to Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and typing in

Code:
inxi -Fxs

Others may have more questions.

Good luck
祝你好运

wizardfromoz

Actually, the server is so slow that I can not open Matlab at the moment.
Hi again @aprillmy. I'm don't know much about servers either, but with some digging together we may can find the culprit that is causing the slowdown. Besides the output Wizard asked for, maybe another screenshot or two could help to further see how bad the kworker situation is. The few examples (to me) did not seem that significant.... some CPU load, but 0% on memory. Are other programs slow or refusing to load besides Matlab? Have you made any changes or updates to Matlab recently that might be responsible?

Maybe @Rob or @ryanvade or @Scotsgeek (or other server guru) will step in and assist too.

Cheers

inxi -Fxs
Yeah, the most useful thing here would be to run some commands once the load builds back up again.

Full results of commands like:
Code:
free -m
ps aux|grep -i matlab

Thank you very much for the reply. I did a TOP command, and it seems the memory space is not that much influenced. But for some reason, the operation of the server is slow. I tried to contact Uni IT service, and am waiting for them the reply.
31D03A06-3C48-4AA6-AB3E-B49A34A8DC1C.jpg

Hi again @aprillmy. I'm don't know much about servers either, but with some digging together we may can find the culprit that is causing the slowdown. Besides the output Wizard asked for, maybe another screenshot or two could help to further see how bad the kworker situation is. The few examples (to me) did not seem that significant.... some CPU load, but 0% on memory. Are other programs slow or refusing to load besides Matlab? Have you made any changes or updates to Matlab recently that might be responsible?

Maybe @Rob or @ryanvade or @Scotsgeek (or other server guru) will step in and assist too.

Cheers
Thank you, my Matlab version is Matlab 2017b. Actually, the server works well until yesterday, when the Matlab can not be even open anymore.

Thank you for that, Mengyu :). 谢谢

I do not know much about Servers, but if I ask for you to answer a small number of questions you could have the answers ready for someone who can help.

1. What is the Linux you are using as the Server, for example Ubuntu Server 18.4 LTS (long term support)?

2. What are the specifications for your computer?

You can give us the specs by going to Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and typing in

Code:
inxi -Fxs

Others may have more questions.

Good luck
祝你好运

wizardfromoz
Thank you, I am using no-machine to connect to the server.
226A69B1-2675-41BB-B9AE-96EE6F4D479E.jpg

I understand - NoMachine Terminal Server for Linux aka "NX" :)

Way beyond my paygrade, I regret :confused:

I will take a back seat and watch and learn.

Good luck ;)

Wizard

Members online