Setting up a Diode Laser on Linux

FabianPruitt

Reaction score
Credits
When I first got my Laser Engraver I set it up on a Win 10 Desktop Machine because my laptop had Linux Mint on it. Now that Lightburn (Laser Software) has developed a Linux version I'm attempting to run the software on the laptop instead.

Now Lightburn is up and running on my laptop and the Laser Engraver has connected to the laptop also but I don't know which port it's on.

On a windows machine, you'd just go to Devise Manager and look up the port (Com & LPT) setting and you would know which numbered port the laser was on, but on my Linux machine, I haven't the faintest idea where this information is stored.

I'd be grateful if someone would tell me how I find this on my Linux laptop.

Thanks a lot.

Fabian.

Without any experience of your instrument, presumably it's a device connected through a usb socket, in which case its device file in the /dev directory may be able to be determined in the following way. First unplug the device and run this command in a terminal:
Code:
lsblk
Take note of what the output is, then plug the device back in, and run the same command again. Hopefully the output will record the new device and give it's device name. Then you can check the /dev directory to see if it's there, which it ought to be if seen by the command.

Another way to see what your device is can be seen by running, as root, in a terminal:
Code:
dmesg -w
Plug the device in and out whilst watching the terminal output in real time and it should provide information but likely without the device name. To close the dmesg output, click: cntl+c, and it will exit dmesg.

Last edited:

Members online