Setting up a dual drive for the first time. Help!

Thanks @wizardfromoz. The video and worksheet look very good. I had a sneaky feeling that the home folder was all wrong. In affect, I’d be saving to the SSD, right? The screen shot is what I see in the Terminal; that tipped me off!

And sure, an all round re-install is the way to go for me. I’ll get this thing done yet.

I like Timeshift a lot. I first used it, I think, with Manjaro, but that was a while back.

Okay, let me download all of this, take time to study it, and then do the install again. I’m beginning to understand more and more!

Thanks again…

Katie
PS: Hope the doctor visit is routine; nothing serious.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-12-18 07-13-25.png
    Screenshot from 2019-12-18 07-13-25.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 417

Thanks for joining in, @pfreeman. And I agree... one distro at a time for me. I did have a dual boot drive built for me several years ago. But swapping back and forth was lost on me and I started sticking with the distro I became familiar with and liked the best. So maybe try it again in the future, but probably not. Though now, with the new Clevo, my Thinkpad x230 will be my lab, relegated to trying the new.
Stay tuned for my re-install of Zorin. Should be interesting.
Katie

Hey @wizardfromoz
Yesterday was a complete write-off. Hauled two computers into town, all set to do the install. And no power. Waited all afternoon but the power never came back up so I went grocery shopping and that's all that was accomplished. Frustrating!
Today, once again, hauled two computers in; the X230 with your instructions and video and the Clevo to work on. Just finished the install. The Clevo is running Zorin updates, has been for an hour. Strange because I thought Zorin would be updated during the install. I clicked the box!
Anyway, I'll be back to you after tomorrow with results. The bar is closed on Saturdays and I am wifi-a-less until Sunday.
But thanks, I think all went well with the install.
Katie

Just finishing my beer and so did the install. The attachment is the result in the Terminal. Talk to you Sunday.
Katie

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-12-20 15-45-45.png
    Screenshot from 2019-12-20 15-45-45.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 393
Hi @poorguy ... so you're saying I did it right? I can go ahead and set up this computer to my liking? Maybe I'll do a couple of screen shots in gparted, just to be sure.
Thanx,
Katie

Screen shot #1 is sda, the 1TB HDD for storage and screenshot #2 is the SSD with the OS installed. Okay???
Katie
Screenshot from 2019-12-22 13-59-37.pngScreenshot from 2019-12-22 14-00-04.png

[Kay-dee post 46]
Hi @poorguy ... so you're saying I did it right? I can go ahead and set up this computer to my liking? Maybe I'll do a couple of screen shots in gparted, just to be sure.
Thanx,
Katie

[Kay-dee post 47]
Screen shot #1 is sda, the 1TB HDD for storage and screenshot #2 is the SSD with the OS installed. Okay???
Katie
Screenshot from 2019-12-22 13-59-37.pngScreenshot from 2019-12-22 14-00-04.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From what I see on the screen shot post # 47 it all looks good so go ahead and set it up to your liking and use it that will be the true test.

Hey Wiz, where are you? Can’t thank you enough, @wizardfromoz . The video was great (nice beard, sailor man), and I referred to the visuals when something in the written instructions didn’t quite jive with what I was seeing on my screen. Worked beautifully.

I hope others will benefit from your instructions. As I mentioned, it is hard to find a tutorial on setting up the Dual Drive system in Linux. The only one I found was for Windows. Everything else that came up was for Dual Booting.

With your blessing, I will now start to set up the Clevo to suit my needs. There will be more questions, I’m sure, but for those I’ll start a new thread.

Thanks once again,

Katie

Last edited:
Just reviewing the above Katie, and everything looks good :) - well done.

A little further up your What's New or Latest Posts page you may see a Thread on Posting Images at This Site.

Or else

https://linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

If you wish your attachments to be viewed more easily and grab the eye, you could use that as a guide.

The sound on the vid is crap because of a singing fridge in the background, but nearly 12 months down the track, I do them a little better now.

Cheers

Wiz

Wiz... good to have you back in my corner. And to have your blessings for my dual drive install. A singing fridge? On a boat everything sings. I have more chokes than the Boston Strangler! I buy those ferrite noise suppressors by the case.
I'll look at posting attachments and do better; I promise.
Talk to you soon,
Katie

Members online

Latest posts