share folders in Virtual Box

Astyanax

Reaction score
Credits
My first post here [2nd try]! I am new to Linux Mint.

I installed Linux Mint 19.2 Tina (Xfce) inside VirtualBox in Windows 10 on my laptop. I have 8GB RAM and plenty of storage. I wanted to test Mint and how to share folders between Windows and Mint. And then I might install QGIS/Linux and see if I can operate on a QGIS project created in Windows.

I watched a bunch of Youtubes on this subject. They showed different methods to get a shared Win folder on the Mint desktop, but they don't work for me. I went back to Windows and set up 2 shared folders, then in Mint I set that up too. But they don't appear on the Mint desktop. In terminal I tried sudo adduser [user] vboxsf but it says there is no vboxsf group. I also tried groupadd vboxsf but no go, it said Permission denied. Cannot lock /etc/group; try again later.

I am lost.

1. What commands should I try in Linux terminal?
2. Do I need to use Samba, or is it only for sharing folders within Linux?
3. What else should I do in Windows?

Thanks,

G'day @Astyanax and welcome to linux.org :D

Samba may be the go, it is focused on network shares with Windows.

However I am neither a Samba expert nor a VM expert.

I am moving this Thread to Linux Networking, where hopefully you will get the help you need.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

General->Advanced->Directional
Shader Folder
Code:
apt-get update
Code:
apt-get upgrade
Install Guest Additions.

And you want to experiment between Windows VBox Mint Samba?

Last edited:
I add shared folders in "Shared folders" at the setting page of the machine in VirtualBox.
Also I change "Network->Attached to" to "Bridged Adaptor" for working with network PCs.
Note, that in newest releases Win10 has some changes, for example, SMB 1.0 is switched off by default. You can switch on it in "Programs and components", but it's potentially unsafe.

Last edited:

Members online