Sharing data partition between versions

@Edzell :-

I couldn't care less what folks think of some of my terminology! "Fora" is the 'officially' correct plural of "forum". And I got taught to speak & write 'proper' English....for better or worse. It's kinda stuck with me, and I do get annoyed, sometimes, with the way the language is evolving. The fact that the Oxford English Dictionary - the reference "bible" for the language, as far as many are concerned - now encompasses "text-speak" as everyday terms for the English language tells me everything I need to know....

But; languages DO evolve. We must (eventually!) move with the times.....though I don't HAVE to like it. The thing that astounds me the most is just how badly some of my fellow countrymen manage to mangle their mother-tongue..... *jeez*

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

Off the top of my head, one of the major security disadvantages of running a distribution of Linux that is no longer receiving updates is that vulnerabilities (or weakspots) in software, or the Linux system itself that may be discovered, are only really fixed (or patched up) in versions that are still receiving updates.

Those weakspots may be exploited by malicious actors, although the risk is certainly lower than on Windows, but still a risk worth taking into account when considering whether to stay on an unsupported version of Linux that is no longer receiving updates, or to upgrade to a supported version.

At age 86 I'm decades too far gone...

So is that 50 Canadian years (on your profile and with avatar) = 86 years normal? ;)

We have at least two older Members.

Wiz

At age 86 I'm decades too far gone...

I am not far behind, but even in the younger days my memory is never good.
So my modus operandi is 'make it work first, understand later' - sometimes I never bother to understand at all.:(
Purists might never accept that way of thinking.

'make it work first, understand later' - sometimes I never bother to understand at all.
I have quite a bit of time for that modus operandi.....i do exactly the same

if I cannot understand..or better still can't give three hoots about understanding it....I just keep using it regardless (speaking linuxically, of course) (that's a new word.....linuxically.....don't understand it?...just keep using it)

@Edzell :-

I couldn't care less what folks think of some of my terminology! "Fora" is the 'officially' correct plural of "forum". ....

My education was similar to yours and I agree with all you said about language and its use.

So is that 50 Canadian years (on your profile and with avatar) = 86 years normal? ;)

Ah, took me a while to track that down. It seems when I set up my account I lied about my birth year; not sure why. Haha, I must have been more concerned about imagined security riks around that than around an 'EOL OS'.

But if you explore my profile a bit further there's this 'about' me

"Very old; profile lies about my DOB.
Somewhat Luddite (If it ain't broke don't fix it: If it does the job don't change it)... Like to believe I'm a critical, unconventional (but not too deep) thinker.
Use computer as a tool more than hobby.
Amateur veggie gardener in zone 7
."

I am not from any of the usa 'zones'.....but as I read this page, I feel the veggies may need woolens !

In Australia, we grow peas so that we can put them on top of meat pies.

I'm in 3B. I live here by choice!

This winter has been mild. In zone 7 you can grow all sorts of delicious veggies.

pies, peas and potatoes in Oz.....the tatas go inside the pie

I am not far behind, but even in the younger days my memory is never good.
So my modus operandi is 'make it work first, understand later' - sometimes I never bother to understand at all.:(
Purists might never accept that way of thinking.
It's absurd. I can still recite the solution for a quadratic equation - or most of Tam o' Shanter and The Ballad of One-eyed Mike*, but where are my glasses and why am I standing in the kitchen?

* Not Mike Walsh!

As for the purists, some of them are like extreme foam-at-the-mouth evangelists for their digital religion.

but where are my glasses and why am I standing in the kitchen?

Ah, but do you remember what you had for lunch yesterday? How about Tuesday of last week?

I'm doing okay. I can remember the important days, like birthdays and some anniversary dates.

My first four years in tertiary education was as an EE major with a pure math minor. I've pretty much forgotten all the electrical engineering stuff.

pies, in Oz.....the tatas go inside the pie
Pies peas and potatoes - you are the one for culinary alliteration: but you really want a 'Scotch' or 'Tuppeny' pie with Heinz's Best Baked Beans heaped on top and the tatties sliced into proper chips, deep fried in ANIMAL FAT. Tuck that away often and you may live to be 86!!

Ah, but do you remember what you had for lunch yesterday? How about Tuesday of last week?
Not a chance either way
My first four years in tertiary education was as an EE major with a pure math minor. I've pretty much forgotten all the electrical engineering stuff.
Mine was civil/structural. In the electrical classes we had a lecturer who said 'Don't try to understand this stuff. I'll teach you how to pass.' :D.

By the way I'm delighted to see a moderator participating so far off-topic.

Two of them, actually.

We should be doing this in Member Introductions - but you haven't done one of them, yet "laddie" ;)

Never too late.

We could bring in Charlie Corder (88), he's always worth a nice comment or three.

Chris

I usually try to wait until the thread has already veered off topic before jumping into the fray. Alas, sometimes I instigate it.

If we tried to be strict about off-topic, there'd either be a revolt or it'd be like herding cats.

As long as they've been helped, are being helped, or they're demonstrably helpless, a bit of off-topic isn't high on my list of concerns.

As long as they've been helped, are being helped, or they're demonstrably helpless, a bit of off-topic isn't high on my list of concerns.
As one of the near-helpless I appreciate those sentiments. We're actually in the midst of a crisis with my wife's health, and when we're not at the hospital this opportunity for good natured banter is a very welcome diversion.

We're actually in the midst of a crisis with my wife's health, and when we're not at the hospital this opportunity for good natured banter is a very welcome diversion.

See? Despite the naysayers we actually are useful for something!

I'm also old - but still a whippersnapper compared to you. You've got a solid 20 years on me. I'm a long-term Linux user but it was the pandemic that prompted me to devote more time to the system. I've done that in spades.

Anyhow, you should swing by the Member Introductions and start a thread.

Members online

Latest posts