Sharing folders in Fedora-Server

PlaceyAUS

Reaction score
Credits
I have recently moved from Windows to Linux for all my machines. Everything has been smooth sailing and I love, just Love Fedora. Was a hater of Gnome for years... but have been converted. I have setup gnome perfectly and will probably not use anything else desktop wise for a while. New to the site here as well and a big hello from Cairns Australia.

The only hiccup I have come across is on my raid I have 2 Folders, a MediaFiles for my Plex and a Storage for my ISOs and Documents and bits and pieces. I thought it would be straight forward sharing out my Documents folder so my wife can use her files but alas... my first learning curve in cli Linux.

I have tried NFS guides and just get the error path to host. I have tried SMB and can see the folder but cant open it, username and password fails every-time. I tend to be a little OCD with things so I have been spending approx 32 hours trying to share a folder. But its too good for me... I bow my head to the Gods of Linux forums to help me out.

So my Server is Fedora-Server 29 with Gui. I have 2 machines and a laptop all with Fedora-Workstation 29.

So basically location is /mnt/Raid5/Storage/Documents (Raid is ext4)
I need the folder complete access to network and read writable.

Things I have done... opened firewalls for all machines to allow nfs and samba.
Added samba user and password. Even installed the old system-config-samba utility from Fedora 24 at last resort but even that fails to allow me in. I know most likely its my config or something I havn't done but am still learning and a little green when it comes to Linux.

testparm results...
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE
Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[Documents]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

smb.conf
[global]
; unix charset = utf-8
dos charset = CP932
server role = standalone server
security = user
hosts allow = 127. 10.0.0. fedora-server fedora-pc fedora-laptop fedora-nuc
workgroup = workgroup
map to guest = Bad User
; server string = samba 4.9.5
encrypt passwords = no
guest ok = yes

[Documents]
comment = Documents Share
path = /mnt/Raid5/Storage/Documents
writable = yes
force create = 0777
force directory = 0777
hosts allow = 127. 10.0.0. fedora-server fedora-pc fedora-laptop fedora-nuc
; browsable = yes

Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to steer me in the right direction.
Another question because we dont have Windows at all in the house, would nfs be better then Samba?

G'day Mate and welcome to linux.org :)

I'm moving this Thread to General Server - https://www.linux.org/forums/general-server.165/ - unless you think there is more of a focus on Web Server or Mail Server (servers are beyond my paygrade)

Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi

I am from Stanthorpe in The Granite Belt (curly bit in the border between Qld and NSW).

I use Fedora 29 WS and am currently trialling the Beta on 30 WS, amongst the 90 LInux I use.

Cairns, eh ? We already have a Member @Northerner from Whitsundays we may have to nickname you "Far Northerner". :D

When you get through here, perhaps swing over to https://www.linux.org/forums/member-introductions.141/ , say Hi to The Gang, and perhaps meet a couple more Aussies.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Winter is coming... yeah I am originally from Mackay so the Whitsundays is familiar to me. A mate of mine grew up in Stanthorpe, can get a little chilly there at times I hear.

I love Fedora 29, does the beta 30 actually become the official release when it drops or do you have to reinstall it?

Servers aside, I have tried to share a folder on my workstation as well with no success. Its the sharing in general I have an issue with. Should I use nfs over samba because I am sharing Linux to Linux? If so then I should be focusing on nfs shares and not samba. I am Microsoft free but this is the only headache I have at present but with all the frustration and grimacing its still better then paying Microsoft to spy on me. The nerve of them.

does the beta 30 actually become the official release when it drops or do you have to reinstall it?

Nope and Yes, at least historically, as I understand it.

Mind you, I was wrong once - might have been back in 1776, I backed the British, lost a whole heap of coin.

(5,000 year-old) Wizard

Members online