Shortcuts,dockable bar,nopassword

zippydsmlee

Reaction score
Credits
I NEED app shortcuts arranged in folders or groups, on the desktop or side bar, even android has desktop apps that can do this, is there any dockable tool bar thing you can use on linux? I been testing pop and unbuntu all week, managed to break unbutu to much gnome extensions and snap LOL. That aside I can't fuction without ease of use via mouse navigation, to many learning disabilities and hard wired OCD, I main run stuff from the taskbar or toolbar folders from the taskbar, I don't even use the "desktop" anymore as I am running a bunch of stuff all the time.

2 other dumb questions, is there a way to get it to stop wanting a password every other time you do a thing? Thats driving me bonkers but I suppose its more for admin level stuff no docs and games so it may just be a setup thing. how do restore points work or is that an app you need to get? I am trying to get up the nerve to switch to something not windows for my main OS, I can VM windose for compatibility if need be.

I forgot I can't type well so I use batch files and try an avoid using command prompt, so I need something that will run a batch command line and only ask for the password hopefully only once....

The use of the password in Linux is one of the things that help to keep your installation secure, so I would never recommend not having one even on a single user system. You can keep it from periodically going into power save mode or screen lock, if that will help you, but ANY admin work will require sudo and a password. Again, I won't aid and abet bad security for convenience.

In Linux, "restore points" are achieved with a robust backup solution, or the use of rollback software such as Timeshift. A personal note, I do not backup the OS, but I do backup my data and configs - my data is far more important than the OS. My Linux system is also fairly constant and stable as I don't play around with a lot of software. I know what I want, I have it, and I don't stray very far. Do what pleases you :p

There are lots of dock solutions, and in most cases the main menu is a very configurable. I am, however, speaking from my Kubuntu-centric solution and being able to configure the menu is a strong feature in *buntu and its cousins such as Mint.

The use of the password in Linux is one of the things that help to keep your installation secure, so I would never recommend not having one even on a single user system. You can keep it from periodically going into power save mode or screen lock, if that will help you, but ANY admin work will require sudo and a password. Again, I won't aid and abet bad security for convenience.

In Linux, "restore points" are achieved with a robust backup solution, or the use of rollback software such as Timeshift. A personal note, I do not backup the OS, but I do backup my data and configs - my data is far more important than the OS. My Linux system is also fairly constant and stable as I don't play around with a lot of software. I know what I want, I have it, and I don't stray very far. Do what pleases you :p

There are lots of dock solutions, and in most cases the main menu is a very configurable. I am, however, speaking from my Kubuntu-centric solution and being able to configure the menu is a strong feature in *buntu and its cousins such as Mint.
Thanks for anyand all help and sorry for the insanity ... blame windose LOL

I can understand the pasword thing... its just for every command line process is a bit much, tho I had to deal with 2 days worth of "put in password" testing pop and unbutu but neither would let me make shortcuts in the sidebar easily, can't widen it to add more icons it scrolls when you go over what can be seen which is annoying, finding the exe/bianaires is hellish and really shortcuts are kind of everything to a gui and I got frustrated with it. I just need shortcuts and clusters/groups of shortcuts where I need them, also need bwains but eh can;t have it all LOL.

The terminology is a bit diff so I can get lost... and now my google foo works and I am finding dock programs.....FML. Do you recall any that let you group/cluster app links/shortcuts? Getting to most of my programs in 2-3 clicks from the desktop/toolbar/dock (one click to open the group to open the app, or group to group then the app,ect).

Ya it dose not look like linux is as easily borked main os file wise as windose, so its more settigns thing, but darn I manged to lock up unbuntu good on my vm, can't get to settings have no icons to get to anything pebkac at ts finiest, you wanted power you got it LOL if there a gui solution for rolling back stuff, mabye try and have an admin login and a user login, admin is jsut a backup account for trouble shooting,ect. I am vaguly aware of online/offline stuff, I'll need to look over the command lines, would be nice if I could just cut and paste all of them in and have it process it in one go, is there a flag or anything terminal wise that woudl allow it so you don;t have to baby sit the process?

Members online