Should I install updates?

Looks great! And with that, I'm off to bed. Early breakfast tomorrow. You may detect a pattern... I love breakfast and go out often with friends. I'm recently retired, and I think I'm doing it right! :p:D

G'nite all...

And that. my friends, is it for tonight. Catch you tomorrow.

I love breakfast and go out often with friends. I'm recently retired, and I think I'm doing it right! :p:D

G'nite all...
If you're enjoying want you're doing than you're doing it right.

I'm retired and once you get used to being retired it's awesome or is for me. :D

@atanere, How was the bacon? Breakfast is one of my faves, too, especially when I have it for supper. @poorguy, I'm still trying to get my retirement footing, so to speak. But I do enjoy not having to hit the ground running every day. :) And I really enjoy the freedom of working on my hobbies when I want to.

Bacon makes everything better! I made that up myself! (Don't believe my lies!) :p:D

Yes, breakfast is good at any time of day. And I think I've got this retirement thing down pretty well already... I just imitate our cats: eat, poop, sleep. :eek:o_O:D

It's now about time for my mid-morning nap. I have to finish it in time so I don't miss my mid-afternoon nap.

I wish I could have done this years ago! :D:D:D

I just imitate our cats: eat, poop, sleep.
Yeah! They do seem to do that and all.
Except when the years have slipped by you begin to look around for something to do with your hands let alone your mind. You begin to lose track of the days first then the months then the years. Then something, a little incident and you say to yourself "Where in blue blazes did the years go!":eek:o_O:p:p
That I can vouch for.

Run these two commands, one after another:
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

And hopefully... no errors!
Ermmm... Good advice but I might be circumspect running the "upgrade" option unless that is what I really wanted to do.
Might that trigger a "dist upgrade" when all I wanted was a software package update and to stay on the current version of my distribution?

Might that trigger a "dist upgrade" when all I wanted was a software package update and to stay on the current version of my distribution?
She has a brand new installation and should update all packages. It is already the latest version of Mint... 19.2. :D

I'm new as of yesterday and looking at 94 updates available. Everything seems to be working including my printer, don't want to mess things up. Looks like the updates caused Granny still unresolved problems.

I too am here because of windows 7 no longer being supported, but I do remember early on with that that updates were causing problems so I stopped installing them. Only automatic security essentials were being updated. I never had any problems caused by not doing updates.

What about just installing the security marked updates?

Another thing I've got to figure out if problems do arise from installing updates, how to go back to a previous session before the update caused function problems. Seems odd that you get hit with so many available updates on day one.

It's now about time for my mid-morning nap. I have to finish it in time so I don't miss my mid-afternoon nap.

I wish I could have done this years ago! :D:D:D
You could have, but you wouldn't have enjoyed near so much. :D

I'm new as of yesterday and looking at 94 updates available. Everything seems to be working including my printer, don't want to mess things up. Looks like the updates caused Granny still unresolved problems.

I too am here because of windows 7 no longer being supported, but I do remember early on with that that updates were causing problems so I stopped installing them. Only automatic security essentials were being updated. I never had any problems caused by not doing updates.

Another thing I've got to figure out if problems do arise from installing updates, how to go back to a previous session before the update caused function problems. Seems odd that you get hit with so many available updates on day one.
You'll be getting some good replies and solutions here. But just to let you know, my problems are all resolved. And it wouldn't have taken so long except that I'm so insecure with this new software. And I agree about the Windows updates being so wonky! I finallly quit installing them, too.

G'day @atrip36 and welcome to linux.org :)

Granny's issues were resolved by #20 on page 1, before we started talking about bacon and retirement, lol.

I'm going to carve off this Post and give you your own Thread and identity, as your issues will vary somewhat from Granny's. It will likely be in Getting Started, rather than Distro-specific such as Mint, although it may be Mint you are using.

You could tell us what Distro you are using, including version and desktop environment.

I am thinking of a Title like "Facing many updates on Linux xxxx and how do I roll back if problems?"

Give us your input and then I'll do the voodoo.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW Granny, there's only one Wizard, but we have many clever folks here :p. Thankfully.

Members online