Should i move to linux and if so which one

olden

Reaction score
Credits
I use a Dell Latitude 3189 education edition which recently has been running extremely slow when charging but s insanely fast and smooth on battery and sometimes the other way around, i found out windows is forcing my pc to run on lower energy when it detects im charging.
I want to use my laptopat home and have it run normal applications like discord, chrome and geforcenow (for which i have found a Deb. file so i should be fine) Without it running absurdly slow. Should i switch over to linux and if so which distro.
Here is the product: https://www.dell.com/ly/business/p/latitude-11-3189-2-in-1-laptop/pd
I have the 4 gb ram version.

Welcome to LO!

Unfortunately, the link provided does not answer hardware questions -- Celeron or Pentium? 4 or 8 GB RAM? Even the base model should be plenty for something like MX Linux. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the performance difference vs Win10! And it's a Debian distro.

Should i switch over to linux and if so which distro.
The one with 4GB of RAM comes with a SSD, right? I've been using Q4OS for a while and find it to be very good; stable, fast and friendly on resources. I think it's worth a try.
Ships with the Trinity Desktop

image2.jpg

And there's a Plasma version as well

image5.jpg

It's based on Debian 10 and you can choose to install from a minimal, basic and full setup; thanks to its desktop profiler which allow you to do that. I really think this one is a good start for someone switching from Windows to Linux; TDE and KDE desktops look pretty familiar, uses some similar approach to install some apps; Q4OS software centre includes a few apps which install process is very similar to that of installing .exe files and I think anyone who's ever installed programs on Windows will appreciate this feature.
ksnip-20200419-202331.png

I'm using the one with Plasma and really like it. :) https://www.q4os.org/index.html

Kubuntu.

None better. Stable. Flexible. Smooth. Easy on the eyes. Easy on resources.

Nice find, warlock. The Bonus list, especially. Hadn't been aware of ToriOS, for example. Thanks!

I use a Dell Latitude 3189 education edition
G'day and welcome
One thing to remember is what you want to do on you laptop as that will help you in selecting the distro best suited to your needs.
Although personally I run Linux Mint 19.2 at the moment which is suitable for my present needs and since I have adequate space on my HDD's I am looking at other distros for their abilities to handle programs that I only require from time to time and also for a change of desktop layouts.
What the lads have recommend are quite good and worthwhile having a serious look at.

Hadn't been aware of ToriOS
Neither have I and it looks to be quite good for older plastic brains. So it is one to keep in the back of my mind when I can get hold of my old plastic brain and see what I can do with it after this plurry bug gets laid to rest and things get back to some sort of normalcy.

Should i move to linux and if so which one
Hi Olden! i hope you are doing great. Welcome to the most active linux community in the world. i hope we both joined at the right time. "better late than never". i have also joined 2 to 3 days ago. so please welcome. Back to the question. This is basically one of the most asked question in the internet right now, many folks have realized the importance of having Linux on their machines, the best operating system in the market right now. Many people want to use it but they don't know where to start and what linux distro to use because they are many distros out there so that kinda confuses people. i first wanna congratulate you for the brave decision you have taken and i can proudly tell you that you have come to the right place at the right time. Let me start by asking you what do you really wanna use this operating system for.? Allow me to make the assumption that you have been using Windows OS almost all your life. and you want to use Linux the same way and perform the same tasks you used to do while at home or at your office. You wanna download and install applications from the internet, you wanna do some calculations using excel, watch movies and basically do whatever you used to do in windows. so as i said it all comes down to what you want to use it for.. One thing i want you to know is that, Linux is mostly used in corporate environment where companies would run one application with using or stressing the resources. For personal use I would stick to Windows or MAC. But if you want to be a system administrator and work in the corporate world, then go and learn CentOs, and Redhat. The best Linux workstation I would recommend which can allow you to do all the above mentioned programs is Ubuntu but again Ubuntu is not used in corporate world. My honest advice to you is that, go and install oracle virtualBox on your existing machine and start installing the most popular distros out there like ubuntu, openSUSE, fedora, debian, linux Mint etc. Try them yourself. Don't ask people which one to use or which one is easy because everybody has their own definition of easiness. implement it yourself. and come back to us when you find out the one that really suits your needs. i hope this helps.

Have fun!

Kindest Regards,
Issa.

BTW, I use GNU/Linux and nothing else, have been for over a decade, am not a fanboi of any 'buntu-based distro but can see the benefit of something like ferenOS to newbies coming from the two dominant distros, and respctfully disagree with Issa. IMHO, Slackware is the distro worth working towards. It has only taken me this long to begin to be proficient in using it.

Redhat vs Slackware, for example, post #3.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts