Should I quit my job?

balenshah

Reaction score
Credits
I am a entry level customer support engineer. Looks like this is not a very technical job. The contract is of 2 years. If I leave early, I'd have to pay 3 months equivalent of salary. My degree is in computer engineering. IDK why I am doing this job. I wanted to spend some time learning various subjects like programming, software testing,ccna, linux, and get a job in devops or testing. Currently, I have to do little bit of work in linux and sql.
When should I leave my job? My parents forced me to take up this job as I was unemployed for a long period.
The job is 9-6 and I don't drive so it takes me 7.30-7.30. I can't even manage time to learn other stuffs. How do I deal with this? Please guide.

Getting another job may be more difficult if the employers can see that you failed to finish your contract.

I don't know what to tell you, bud. I'm too independent to let anyone else run my life, so I can't relate to someone 'forcing' me to do something.

Is there a possibility of being promoted or moving to a different department with uour current employer? If so, do the best job you can with a smile on your face and make them notice you. Can you apply for other jobs while working this one? Can you afford to break your current contract (without having someone else pay for it)?

I don't know how your parents can force you to do anything, unless you felt pressured because you were unemployed and living with them. If that's the case, I would work on fixing that problem first.

Ultimately it sounds to me like you made an agreement and should probably fulfill your end of it. Stick it out and start making plans for what to do afterward.

It a hard one, but think you stick out the contract, Learn the lessons you can learn and start studying for another job when this one ends. If you quit other employers are likely to be reluctant to invest in you. Do your best in the current situation. If nothing else you should feel a sense of accomplishment for sticking it out.

Linux.org is a good place with good people, but I question whether it is the right place to get personal advice. There is far too much about your life situation that we do not know. Any advice you get here will be based on limited information and limited understanding of a complex situation that is uniquely individual and personal to you.

-> This is the kind of help and advice you should get from your local friends, trusted family members, clergy, counselors, etc. You want to ask people who know you, your situation, your culture, etc.

What you will get from Linux.org is "Keep your promises", which is good general advice for everyone, but it may not address all the nuances and details of your particular situation.

Getting another job may be more difficult if the employers can see that you failed to finish your contract.
I won't tell them I was doing a job at that time or just honestly tell them the reality that job wasn't challenging enough and I am now looking for new challenges.

that job wasn't challenging enough

I've employed hundreds of people, many in tech roles.

What I'd suggest is maybe telling that to your current employer - unless you have some reason to just plain not like them or whatever. Tell your supervisor about your qualifications and that you find the job not challenging enough. They may have other roles you can fill, roles that will challenge you.

Members online

Latest posts