Should linux users buy windows games?

Should linux users buy Windows games?

• Total voters

I keep a Windows XP desktop and a Windows Vista desktop both for the purpose of Microsoft Flight Simulator X and X-Plane 10.

Linux does offer Flight Gear and it does appear to be really cool however requires way better desktop hardware than I have.

To answer you question by all means buy Windows games if you have a computer running Windows OSs.

Yes because there Wine/Proton has been developed enough to make gaming on Linux possible. If the market share becomes big enough they will eventually develop Linux native versions but that's only if. Also it's not like if they create Linux natives that they would be opensource.
I keep a Windows XP desktop and a Windows Vista desktop both for the purpose of Microsoft Flight Simulator X and X-Plane 10.
I hope you keep those systems disconnected from the internet because they are end of life os's and don't get any security updates anymore.

Yes because there Wine/Proton has been developed enough to make gaming on Linux possible. If the market share becomes big enough they will eventually develop Linux native versions but that's only if. Also it's not like if they create Linux natives that they would be opensource.

I hope you keep those systems disconnected from the internet because they are end of life os's and don't get any security updates anymore.
Agreed!

I doubt we'll be seeing any major devs building Linux native games for sale, unless they sell through a portal like Steam. And certainly not open source; that would damage their IP.

I doubt we'll be seeing any major devs building Linux native games for sale, unless they sell through a portal like Steam. And certainly not open source; that would damage their IP.
That's why I said if meaning only when the circumstances are right, right now it's a good thing that game developers only have to develop on one Platform since most things are able to run under Wine/Proton now, unless they have some form of anti-cheat.

P.S I'm currently playing New World on Linux with the EAC on because they implemented the Linux version of it into the game.

Last edited:
Almost no game developer will have motivation to develop Linux native games until there is enough market share of people who game on Linux. It probably has to do with that developing game on Linux you may need different tools and people with the knowledge. Although I saw this lecture on Youtube once that it shouldn't be that hard to port Windows Games to Linux, that there are a few building blocks.

Certainly. Of course. No Ethernet driver is installed either.

I don't need internet for Flight Simulators as I can create the weather at the time of flight and throughout the flight.

Surely no one is dumb enough or stupid enough to use unsupported OSs online. :rolleyes:

Certainly. Of course. No Ethernet driver is installed either.

I don't need internet for Flight Simulators as I can create the weather at the time of flight and throughout the flight.

Surely no one is dumb enough or stupid enough to use unsupported OSs online. :rolleyes:
lol no one here i hope. but def people out there who dont know or care.

i have 2000+ games on steam and i even have some games on Disk all i use on Linux.

lol no one here i hope. but def people out there who dont know or care.
You'd be surprised I have come across several here, even one who is thinks that it's just a conspiracy theory and that companies just want to make more money off of you buy having you upgrade to the latest Windows or something similar like that.

You'd be surprised I have come across several here, even one who is thinks that it's just a conspiracy theory and that companies just want to make more money off of you buy having you upgrade to the latest Windows or something similar like that.
persenally i'm not that bad :-b but i am beginning calling Win 11 a Scam OS because that how it feels like. also one of the reasons I stop using windows in the first place.

persenally i'm not that bad :-b but i am beginning calling Win 11 a Scam OS because that how it feels like. also one of the reasons I stop using windows in the first place.
Someone here I have come across is still running Windows XP connected to the internet because it still works, it saves them money and they have never been hacked so they think running an up-to-date version is a scam.

Someone here I have come across is still running Windows XP connected to the internet because it still works, it saves them money and they have never been hacked so they think running an up-to-date version is a scam.
I know quite a few people who refused to give up Windows XP when it reached EOL April 2014.

All of them have found the Windows XP service pack 4 and swear by it as the save Windows XP forever.

Here's the Official Microsoft Update Catalog.

I wouldn't trust Windows XP service pack 4.
I will say none of the people I know still using Windows XP have ever had a virus or have ever had malware problems.

I don't use unsupported OSs as it just ain't a smart thing to do.

Apologies to @DexTheDog for slipping off topic.

Windows 10 I use every now and then but don't care for it.

Windows 11 I don't know anything about and probably won't unless the Wife buys a Windows 11 computer.

I don't know if I'd call Windows 11 a scam OS and Microsoft isn't forcing anyone to use Windows 11 OS.

I know several people who use Windows 11 and have no complaints with it,

If I had a new enough desktop with the tpm2 security crap on it I'd grab a free copy of Windows 11 OS I ain't scared.

An OS is an OS I'll use any OS I don't care ain't nothing or no one secret nowadays.

You may be secret using Linux on you computer but go to the doctor or bank or use a credit card etc you ain't secret no more.

Life is to short to worry about who's collecting your data.

No matter how secret you think you are if someone really wants your data they can get it with out a problem been proven to many times.

I know quite a few people who refused to give up Windows XP when it reached EOL April 2014.

All of them have found the Windows XP service pack 4 and swear by it as the save Windows XP forever.

I will say none of the people I know still using Windows XP have ever had a virus or have ever had malware problems.

Maybe the virus creators do not code for the older OS, it would be fare to say that the majority of people are using up to date systems and they are the main candidates for malicious coders. XP users may survive better through their obscurity, hunting season closed for them.

I have never had a virus in my life; I have only ever gotten malware.
While I have never used a virus program, I have used anti-malware programs from time to time.

Windows 10 I use every now and then but don't care for it.

Windows 11 I don't know anything about and probably won't unless the Wife buys a Windows 11 computer.

I don't know if I'd call Windows 11 a scam OS and Microsoft isn't forcing anyone to use Windows 11 OS.

I know several people who use Windows 11 and have no complaints with it,

If I had a new enough desktop with the tpm2 security crap on it I'd grab a free copy of Windows 11 OS I ain't scared.

An OS is an OS I'll use any OS I don't care ain't nothing or no one secret nowadays.

You may be secret using Linux on you computer but go to the doctor or bank or use a credit card etc you ain't secret no more.

Life is to short to worry about who's collecting your data.

No matter how secret you think you are if someone really wants your data they can get it with out a problem been proven to many times.

I have been following Windows 11 and at one point, Microsoft experimented with ads built into IE to sell you stuff. Thats how bad Win 11 has become.

I have never had a virus in my life; I have only ever gotten malware.
While I have never used a virus program, I have used anti-malware programs from time to time.

I have been following Windows 11 and at one point, Microsoft experimented with ads built into IE to sell you stuff. Thats how bad Win 11 has become.
It will be worse if google cuts funding to firefox when this round of funding
runs out, firefox will have to push adds then too if it wants to survive.
Currently nearly all their funding comes from allowing google to set up
their search engine in firefox as it comes in default state, google also pay
Apple to do the same.

Members online