Should we keep the Cloudflare DDoS protection enabled?

Should we keep the cloudflare DDoS protection enabled?

• Yes

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • What?

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Forgive my ignorance but is there a better alternative to Cloudflare?

I'm thinking we're good now on this front? @Bartman if you aren't getting the 5 second thing, I don't believe cloudflare is part of your issue. Thoughts?

I'll remove that notice at the top of the site now and keep an eye on this thread :)

The problem I'm having and have been having is having to login again when I go to post.
It's not always a regular thing but does happen a lot and is annoying.
I'll live with it although it does cut forum participation down.
This problem I don't think has anything to do with Cloudflare.

The 5 second thing I haven't got since you changed settings and it wasn't any bother imo.

1652134700337.png

Have you checked your cookie settings,?

Cookie settings are default from Firefox.
The only add-on is UblockOrigin and it is default.
I'm using Firejail default OOTB.

I've run my browser without UblockOrigin and Firejail and no change and this forum is the only forum I have this issue with so I don't know.

Win Win then!

It could be that another mod is clearing the spam - I can't see that.

But, I have no spam to clear this morning when I get on. I sometimes have like 15 items in the moderation queue - sometimes more than that.

Reactions: Rob
It could be that another mod is clearing the spam - I can't see that.

But, I have no spam to clear this morning when I get on. I sometimes have like 15 items in the moderation queue - sometimes more than that.
I did some a little bit ago, but maybe 5 in total so far today?

I did some a little bit ago, but maybe 5 in total so far today?

I did one just now, so perhaps still less than normal. I've definitely dealt with less than normal over the past few days, but I'm a mere mod so I can't actually tell if someone else has stepped in and dealt with some.

I don't know, the problem with security is that it always means decreasing accessibility. It makes sense to have DDoS protection, i assume that all it does is route the connection through cloudflare servers and look for bot characteristics from incoming traffic.

Traffic is already routed through CF's servers.

Code:
whois linux.org

They provide a free CDN and free (albeit limited) DDoS mitigation by way of slowing down traffic and doing stateful packet inspection, among some proprietary techniques which I assume are largely gleaned from having such a huge amount data to work with. There are a couple of choices (in the free tier) for protection techniques, but I've forgotten exactly which level does what 'cause I use a different CDN for linux-tips.us.

Wow everything is working normal hopefully it will continue to do so.

FWIW: There has been less spam for me to clean out over the past few days.
I'm not sure... What impact will it have long-term with things like search engine results?
That would be nice if there were some way to randomize or use Cloudflare like cron, unfortunately that's a catch-22. Since you all don't seem to have money issues with the site, you all could look into something that's a little more complicated. The amount of spam and advertising online is pretty unfortunate.

The amount of spam and advertising online is pretty unfortunate.

We have a bunch of spam attempts daily, but they seldom reach the site itself. We keep a pretty tight grip on it.

this forum is the only forum I have this issue with
Forgive my ignorance but is there a better alternative to Cloudflare?
@Rob ....both the above statements ring true/deserve a response.

I frequent many, many forums and the only one I get 502's etc on is Linux.org
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently (perhaps a month and a half ago) i changed my dns provider to : https://www.quad9.net/

It remains in place. Totally reliable. I also like the fact that it is now based in Switzerland.

Worth a look on your part.

Last edited:
it been a right pain this afternoon

Have not had a problem today here but the other day it was out for couple hours.

The 502 thing seems to be a hit and miss type thing and when I ain't getting that I'm getting the oops thing so I don't know what's going on.

Sometimes I can't even get the linux.org website for a bit and then it's like poof it appears I'm thinking it haunted being Halloween ya know.

The 502 thing seems to be a hit and miss type thing and when I ain't getting that I'm getting the oops thing so I don't know what's going on.

Sometimes I can't even get the linux.org website for a bit and then it's like poof it appears I'm thinking it haunted being Halloween ya know.
I was having the 502 thing yesterday, it seems to be very intermittant

We are down to 99.6% uptime.

But, the longest periods of downtime have been 12 minutes (two of them). All the other periods of downtime are relatively short.

Members online