shut down problems with ubuntu 8.04 lts

J

Justin10299

hello everyone im new to linux, i have installed ubuntu 8.04 on my dell latitude d505. windows was running stupid even after a ram upgrade. i am really enjoying linux so far. i have to use an older version since my computer only has a 1.3 ghz processor and 2gb of ram.

My question is about shutting down linux, when i click shut down or hibernate it gets stuck on a command line and i have to hold the power button to turn it off, is this a common problem with this distribution? and does anyone know how i can fix it. thank you i appreciate all answers

8.04=2008 April. Support ended 5th December 2011.

Try a newer distro

Besides the recommendation for GETTING AN UP TO DATE DISTRO, sometimes the Plymouth screen has issues. Make sure the graphics drivers are up to date. From experience this is what happens. In a terminal you can try
Code:
sudo shutdown -h now

I have to echo the 'upgrade' mantra. Unlike some proprietary operating systems, Linux doesn't necessarily get more complex/RAM-intensive with newer releases and the bug fixes are worth it.
Try Ubuntu 12.04 LTS it will be supported until April 2017.

I have to echo the 'upgrade' mantra. Unlike some proprietary operating systems, Linux doesn't necessarily get more complex/RAM-intensive with newer releases and the bug fixes are worth it.
Try Ubuntu 12.04 LTS it will be supported until April 2017.

+1 on upgrade

I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a PIII 933MHz with 512 MB RAM, should run fine.

my computer only has a 1.3 ghz processor and 2gb of ram.

That should run any current distro out there.

You may want to use Ultimate Boot CD DBAN option to wipe the hard drive before installing Linux.

If you want to keep and repair Windows, you need to find out what's wrong. It is usually bloated temp folders and/or spyware/adware.

Members online

Latest posts