simple explanation between slackware current and slackware stable

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
[Don't believe everything you see on web]

I've seen web articles maybe 2 years old, that were a bit well .. "presumptuous" quoting Slackware 15.
For a simple view of releases go to : https://slackbuilds.org/ you will see 14.2 and a drop down V next to it ˇ. 14.2 is basically stable but stale since it is circa 3 years old.

if you click on the V drop down you can see all the previous releases. A stable release is a point in development where its considered to be "stable"
the kernels don't change, there are some subsequent patches security and the like. Packages built using slackbuilds.org can be relied upon to fit in with total harmony to everything else. Or you can get pre-built packages from other repos.

With stable you don't expect any major glitches if you stick to a common sense approach.

Myself being a very simple person i have always used the gino d'acampo approach to slackware "minimum effort, maximum satisfaction" . if you are going to introduce something that may introduce an element of incompatibility you are looking either for a "learning curve" or "trouble" . The scripts at slackbuilds.org have all been tested by first the slackbuild maintainer (who maintains the slackbuild) and then by Willy Sudiarto etal.

Now "current" is something different its, the development cycle of slackware which never stops (hopefully)and is an up to date but "developmental" and therefore not intended for production use.

Current changes all the time, when i installed a current iso from Alien Bob my kernel was 4.19.75 now its 5.4.14 i believe. Whether you go for current or stable matters because you need to make sure if you are on stable use slackbuilds. if you use something like slpkg or slackpkg make sure the mirrors for download are set appropriately so my mirror for slackpkg is set to download from a mirror holding 64 bit stuff current because i'm on current. if you are using 14.2 stable make sure your settings get stuff from a mirror holding stable

A slackbuild aimed at stable can work on current but often there may be glitches due to c libraries and the like . So for instance last time i tried latex2html from slackbuilds.org (stable) on my current version of slackware it worked fine.

to confirm which slackware your using open a terminal window and type

cat /etc/slackware-version

hit return button

i get :bash-5.0$ cat /etc/slackware-version
Slackware 14.2+
bash-5.0$

14.2+ means current stable users will get 14.2

Members online

Latest posts