skywave linux virtual machine

hanksmith5

Reaction score
Credits
Hello I am wondering if any one could create me a virtual box image of skywave linux and have orca up and running so all I have to do is click on the ova linux file and import the distro in to virtual box? I am visually impaired and use a screen reader called orca I can not get orca to run off the live image so I can install it myself in towanting some one to set up orca on th distro fore me. if any one couold help me out with this it would be awesome. orca does work with mate desktop so that is not a issue. thanks Hank

G'day @hanksmith5 and welcome to linux.org

I have deleted your duplicate you posted 6 minutes after this one.

I am not familiar with Skywave but we have a couple of people here interested in ham radio, they may see this and assist.

If no joy there, I can download a copy myself and see if I can learn anything, but it may take me some time with my other commitments.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

By the way, what percentage of "legally blind" or other as determined by Snellin's Test or other are you?

It's based on Ubuntu Mate 20.04 and has a bunch of radio software. Orca should be easy to install and the resulting image should be easy to export. It's just a few minutes worth of work.

The problem is, I live in very, very rural Maine and it's more then 2.5 GB to upload.

If nobody else jumps on this, let me know. If someone has a decent pipe and doesn't know how to make this, again let me know - and I'll talk them through it so that they can upload it. But, it's a pretty trivial task and anyone answering questions here should know how to do it.

BUT...

I'm not sure how well Orca is going to run with the various bits and bobs of software they've chosen. If I understand correctly, it's a screen reader that doesn't always play nice with all software. So, that's a bit of a crap shoot and nobody will know until it's tried.

Hank I am wondering if you would mind telling us your city and state?

There are what are known as LUGs - Linux User Groups, all around the world, and although COVID may have shut down some of their direct contact protocols for the time being, it is possible that one of their members may be able to assist, and they would be in your local timezone, and able to mail you things, &c.

Just a thought.

Wizard

Mate, there is a LUG that meets at Sierra Vista Public Library, but even closer to you, if I am correct, is one called

Cochise Linux User Group

which is headquartered out of Arizona State University, which I believe is in Tucson is that correct?

Their details can be found here

https://cochiselinuxusergroup.org

Hope this helps

Wizard

that is a little bit over a hour from me I can't seem to find any groups in tucson

I understand. I was thinking more of your getting in touch with them, even before COVID restrictions are finally over, so that perhaps they can establish a dialogue with you, if not a physical meeting.

Of course, if someone here is able to help, well and good.

Wizard

I would be interested in fore sure trying out the radio packages with the orca screen reader in a virtual envirement I just have no one to set it up fore me

is there any one who could create the virtual box image fore me andd send it over so all I would have to do is import iit in to virtual box and start using it? no one has been able to help me with it thanks Hank

Staff online

Members online