Slackware Live edition

VP9KS

Reaction score
Credits
Has anyone managed to get the Slackware live edition to work from a USB thumb drive? ;) I have been experimenting with it, but have not managed to beat it into submission as yet.:p:p

Has anyone managed to get the Slackware live edition to work from a USB thumb drive? ;) I have been experimenting with it, but have not managed to beat it into submission as yet.:p:p

I might try in a few days when I get done with this work cycle (and if the missus doesn't beat me up with other chores that need done). Is this location where you are downloading from? What troubles are you having?

Yep, that's the one.:p Getting the download is not the problem. The script runs, and sets up the 3 partitions on the thumb drive, but fails down the way, as I remember around line 500:confused:(?) or so of the script. I have tried 2 or 3 different thumb drives, and no joy. I think that I must be doing something wrong, just don't know what YET.;)

Hmmm, I'm not on the same page with you yet. The download link I cited does not have any scripts. Is there a reason not to simply use dd to burn one of the ISO's to a USB? I was going to try the MATE edition, but I'm not sure this will help you to troubleshoot the problem.

Hmmm, I'm not on the same page with you yet. The download link I cited does not have any scripts. Is there a reason not to simply use dd to burn one of the ISO's to a USB? I was going to try the MATE edition, but I'm not sure this will help you to troubleshoot the problem.
Hi guys, thanks for answering my SOS. o_O
Here is the PDF file with the information that I have been using. Take a gander, and let me know what you guys think.

Happy trails,
paul

Attachments

• Slackware Live Edition.pdf
    182.9 KB · Views: 4,068
Ah, I finally see the link to download the scripts! :D

Next question: which script are you running? :confused::D

No luck yet. It tells me that some program(s) are missing from /bin or /sbin... but not which programs.

Have you tried to just dd an iso file to the USB? Or does that lose the persistence?

Update:
Tested dd to burn the .iso and it worked fine to create a live USB without persistence. I have an issue with Network Manager (that I've also experienced on other distros) using WiFi, but I think this is fixable, or an ethernet connection should resolve it. I used the slackware-current .iso so it booted up into KDE which isn't my favorite DE.

I'll see if I can determine what programs are missing to run the iso2usb.sh script, but at the moment I am clueless.

Cheers!

The following screenshot is from Slackware Live that you folks pointed to

MetHBED.png

The iso burned perfectly to USB stick (8 GB Sandisk Cruzer Glide) using Etcher , described elsewhere in this Forum. On my unit with 8GB RAM, burned and verified it in about 5 minutes, faster than dd works for me with a file that size (3.1 GB, porky little bugger).

Etcher does not, on the face of it, support Persistence, so I may try a couple more options to play with Slackware more.

Cheers all

Wizard

Oops, I meant to get back to this sooner. Still no clue what programs are missing (in Linux Mint) that will not allow the iso2usb.sh script to run, but honestly, I haven't tried to find them.

So instead, I did a bare-metal install of Slackware 14.2 on a spare desktop. From there, the script ran fine. I used it twice... once for slackware64-live-current (KDE) and then again for slackware64-live-mate-current because I don't really like KDE. Both times created a working persistence on the USB.

But also, both times, it fails to properly use my network, both wired and wireless. It will connect to each, but then immediately disconnects. I have read up a bit about this issue and think I could fix it, but I think I'll just let that go since I don't really plan to use the live USB. It really does surprise me to fail with a wired connection! :confused:

It really does surprise me to fail with a wired connection! :confused:

Ditto. I may be moving one of the computers back to the Study next couple of weeks, along with the modem-router that is currently beside the kitchen sink and getting in my wife's way.

So if that happens, I will try the Slackware wired and see if I learn anything that may help.

Cheers

Wiz

Sorry guys, but I guess that I have been missing in action for a while.:( What did I miss?:D

Paul

Welcome back, Paul... it's about time! :D

I mentioned above that I got the iso2usb.sh script to run finally. But only from within a full-install of Slackware 14.2. I've blown it all away now to pursue other things, but it did work well to make live USB sticks with two Slack versions, with persistence.

Cheers

Darren,
Thanks for putting out that info for the group. I don't use wireless much. When we bought the current residence, I opened the walls in about half the rooms (before we moved in!), to insulate, and wired them for network while I was in there. The rest of the rooms were easy to drop wires from the attic, so I just went crazy and wired the whole house:p:p. Kinda nice to have network capability everywhere:D. We have wireless for tablets and such, but my wife uses it more than I do. I mostly use the tablet to read magazines & books, or when traveling on vacation.

Happy Trails,:)
Paul

Hi Paul,

Been playing with Slackware on my T42 and liking it - a distro that hardly changes between versions and very unix like.

I have become very frustrated with Debian with all the bugs happening with Stretch so using Devuan as well as Slack.

Hi Paul,

Been playing with Slackware on my T42 and liking it - a distro that hardly changes between versions and very unix like.

I have become very frustrated with Debian with all the bugs happening with Stretch so using Devuan as well as Slack.
Yeah, I like the KISS attitude that the slack group has going on. I have been digging deeper into slack than any other distro, because you have so much that you can do with it. I have been looking at modifying the kernel. Blimey!! It is really involved!!:D:D

Happy trails,
Paul

Welcome back, Paul... it's about time! :D

I mentioned above that I got the iso2usb.sh script to run finally. But only from within a full-install of Slackware 14.2. I've blown it all away now to pursue other things, but it did work well to make live USB sticks with two Slack versions, with persistence.

Cheers
Cool, I am afraid that I got side tracked from this, and may not get back to it for a while.:(

Staff online

Members online