Slackware

Ok, here we go again. I finally got up the nerve to switch to Slackware 15, basically because I was forced to do so. It installed fine, but upgrading has, so far, proven to be impossible. I selected a mirror, entered the terminal window and entered the command slackpkg update. Then the problems began. The screenshot below is the result. This may take a while to figure out. It runs just fine, I just cannot update it. I have tried multiple mirrors, but the result is the same. Bugger!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230524_202532.png
    Screenshot_20230524_202532.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I wonder what happens if you run it again with the suggested option: --no-check-certificate.

If you could find some time you might want to try Slackel, it's less ornerous. Although you might prefer a desktop environment more featured than OpenBox with some LXDE components. It comes with GSlapt and Sourcery. Also it comes with two programs which updates the kernel, depending on where the OS was installed (internal against pluggable disk).

If you could find some time you might want to try Slackel, it's less ornerous. Although you might prefer a desktop environment more featured than OpenBox with some LXDE components. It comes with GSlapt and Sourcery. Also it comes with two programs which updates the kernel, depending on where the OS was installed (internal against pluggable disk).
Welcome to the group.:) Well, I have been using slackware for a while. I am not an expert by any means, but I like the challenge. Lately, I spend most of my time on my raspberry pi. It is much more Quiet than "the lab". But I still dabble in various distributions.
Ciao For Now,
Paul

Maybe e-mail Pat? Just an idea:-

[email protected]

I e-mailed him about 3 weeks ago for a XFCE log in screen issue and in a matter of days the issue was fixed in a patch via slackpkg update.

Ya know, I was looking around there for answers yesterday, and of course I got interupted by life, but did not see that. Thanks mate, I will try it and let you know:)
Well, I tried it, and it did not work. I tried many different mirrors, to no avail. I opened firefox, to let you know what was going on, and found that I cannot access anything, including Google. I am now using the raspberry Pi. Here is a screen shot of the current error, again I believe that I have a network problem now.

Update. I checked the network setup, and everything was blank. On a hunch, I rebooted, and the network setup was restored.:oops: Now I am online again, and the original problem is back. I feel like captain jack, following a broken compass in circles:p! nyuk, nyuk!

Film at eleven!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230526_142310.png
    Screenshot_20230526_142310.png
    102 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
In this thread the OP was having the same or similar issue that you are having.

It looks like a DNS issue due to the network not being set up properly.

Years back I had help from Frank Bell and Alien Bob from that Linux group and I had success.
Frank is now in his 70's and I'm not sure if his account is still active.

Following a broken compass is no fun at all. Been there done that!

Are you using netconfig? DHCP? rc.inet1? rc.inet2? OR Network Manager?

Manual Configuration

Hope that helps VP9KS-:)

Yeah, I'm using DHCP. I don't know what the network glitch was, but it is gone now. A simple reboot cleared it. Now I'm back to the original problem. Now if my wife would not keep giving me projects to do......:p

Members online