Slow Connection

Chris Rachal

Reaction score
Credits
My connection goes up and down. Very slow. I heard that turning off power management helps under the iwconfig, but I don't really know how to do that lol

How about opening a Terminal and typing: top

What do the first few entries say? Copy and paste here?

Arochester, I will do that here in a bit. So far I tried updating the kernal, and then tried to do an older kernal. Now i got tons of kernals and only one works. Also the wifi connection is no longer working lol.

Here is what I got from the top command

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-02-15 14-57-38.png
    Screenshot from 2019-02-15 14-57-38.png
    201.4 KB · Views: 585
G'day Chris, just checking in here, and see that from your Top output, you may have Ukuu already on board, so just modify the advice I gave elsewhere when you come to it.

What version of Ubuntu are you running currently?

My Ubuntu is only using 0.3% RAM, from 16 GB, and yours 28.7% form , is it 6GB?

That is mad, but there was also a gnome-shell memory leakage early lasy year that was supposed to be fixed, but perhaps there are issue from that.

Do you have a particular attachment to the GNOME desktop? Otherwise you could try Ubuntu MATE.

Cheers

Chris

G'day Chris, just checking in here, and see that from your Top output, you may have Ukuu already on board, so just modify the advice I gave elsewhere when you come to it.

What version of Ubuntu are you running currently?

My Ubuntu is only using 0.3% RAM, from 16 GB, and yours 28.7% form , is it 6GB?

That is mad, but there was also a gnome-shell memory leakage early lasy year that was supposed to be fixed, but perhaps there are issue from that.

Do you have a particular attachment to the GNOME desktop? Otherwise you could try Ubuntu MATE.

Cheers

Chris
Do you think I will have better luck with MATE. I can just install over the Ubuntu I currently have right?

Do you think I will have better luck with MATE

Always hard to make a guarantee, when I cannot sit at your elbow :)

However, I have always found the MATE Ubuntu more user-friendly than Ubuntu Unity and then Ubuntu GNOME. Only reason I keep GNOME on board is to help folks.

I can just install over the Ubuntu I currently have right?

Basically. Remind us if this is a dualboot with Windows and if so, which one?

If it is to be a Linux only system, then in the installer, choose for it to use the entire disk - this will delete the previous install, and set up the rest for you.

Ask any questions if you are unsure.

Wiz

Do you think I will have better luck with MATE. I can just install over the Ubuntu I currently have right?
You don't need to reinstall the operating system to use a different desktop. Use the package manager to search up the desktop you'd like to try, install it, and then on the login screen choose the desktop you'd like to use from your session menu.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

@Northerner , I've put a Like on the above, because it is an option, but I would modify that to say "to try, or to get a feel for, another desktop, before committing."

Reason?

Couple of years ago, when Linux Mint were still issuing versions with the KDE DE (sounds like a stutter):

At one time, being the adventurer I am, I had a Mint with all 4 - KDE, MATE, Cinnamon and Xfce running as choices.

There would be glitches, depending on which one original you used as a base, before adding more.

For those instances where Cinnamon or MATE or Xfce were the base, the four options worked fine.

However if you took LInux Mint KDE and added the other 3, each booted option wanted to use Kate as the Editor (Kate is from KDE), and other nuances I do not recall.

Disclaimer is that things may have changed since then.

But to my mind, a USB stick of the same Distro with an alternative DE, even with Persistence enabled to store notes, your own personal review, is a better option.

Cheers

Wizard

Staff online

Members online