Software Install

Will7mm

Reaction score
Credits
Looking to add some windows apps to use in Linux. I would like to use Virtual Box and downloaded it. My question is, where do I find it as it says I have it, but I cannot locate. Seems odd to me that it does not open like other apps. What am I missing here? 7mm

Thanks for reply. I have Wine installed and would use but I seem to have issues getting that to work. I have tried using help on Youtube but have trouble with people who post them. Language and going to fast. Just me I guess. Do you recommend any teaching vids or lessons that are easy to follow for age impaired people.:rolleyes: Will7mm

Thank you for reply. One of the reason for using wine or Virtual Box is so I can use Nuance, speech to text. Do not know how well this will work but some have had success. I have had hard time finding speech to text for Mint that would work for me. Any programs that you know of that have worked. Was going to ask about that also in forum. Had Nuance in Win 7 and really liked it. 7mm

Thank you for reply. One of the reason for using wine or Virtual Box is so I can use Nuance, speech to text. Do not know how well this will work but some have had success. I have had hard time finding speech to text for Mint that would work for me. Any programs that you know of that have worked. Was going to ask about that also in forum. Had Nuance in Win 7 and really liked it. 7mm
I've tried a few programs, in the past (Simon and CMU Sphinx) that were for Linux for speech to text.
I wasn't able to get those programs to work, sorry:-

Maybe other members reading your thread may know about a speech recognition application that works and share it with you.

Here's a link if you'd like to take a look:

There is also DeepSpeech and Kaldi - DeepSpech is from Mozilla and Kaldi is from John Hopkins University
Both require you to build it

Looking to add some windows apps to use in Linux. I would like to use Virtual Box and downloaded it.

The two sentences don't go well together .lets take virtual box nothing to do with Windows except that there is a Windows version. However since you can install Virtual box version from your OS repo; then thats why the 2 sentences are unrelated. So since you posted in Mint your using Mint ; which version ?

As an example if i search my repo this is what I get :

Code:
community/virtualbox 6.1.22-3
    Powerful x86 virtualization for enterprise as well as home use

you should get something similar. Always look and aim to get software from your OS repos so that its compatible and deps are compatible . Look elsewhere as last resort

What Windows Apps are you wanting to run? The better option is to find alternatives that run natively on GNU/Linux.

Thank you for reply's. I have gone into software manager and selected virtual box and have listed as installed in my system. I cannot then find it in my applications to open or set up. Where is it and why so difficult to find.
Let you know where I am coming from. Grew up in trades and went to school for trades type work. Very good at what I did. 10 years ago was diagnosed with rare type arthritis that finished my trades life. Year later had a widow maker heart attack. Tough couple of years. So like a lot of others I thought a website would help. Hell of learning curve there also. Very hard first couple years and a lot of trial and error. Ended up going with WordPress and have done ok.
My biggest issue is my memory now. Look at something and five minutes later forgot everything. So my frustrations with parts of Linux. May have to find another alternative and leave Linux. Frustrating and have thought of giving it all up. Thanks for listening to my rant. 7mm

Thank you for reply's. I have gone into software manager and selected virtual box and have listed as installed in my system. I cannot then find it in my applications to open or set up. Where is it and why so difficult to find.
from the terminal type in
Code:
virtualbox

Let you know where I am coming from. Grew up in trades and went to school for trades type work. Very good at what I did. 10 years ago was diagnosed with rare type arthritis that finished my trades life. Year later had a widow maker heart attack. Tough couple of years. So like a lot of others I thought a website would help. Hell of learning curve there also. Very hard first couple years and a lot of trial and error. Ended up going with WordPress and have done ok.
My biggest issue is my memory now. Look at something and five minutes later forgot everything. So my frustrations with parts of Linux. May have to find another alternative and leave Linux. Frustrating and have thought of giving it all up. Thanks for listening to my rant. 7mm

I'm running Linux Mint (Cinnamon) and in Software Manger, both installed and uninstalled programs are listed. The difference is if you click on an installed program, it gives you the option to launch or remove instead of download and install. Have you tried launching through Software Manager?

If it *is* already installed, I have no idea why it would not show up under All Applications when you click on the Menu button (like the Start button in Windows). The Linux Mint (Cinnamon) desktop is very Windows-like.

Your 'rant' is more than Welcome, 7mm
When you feel the inclination, drop over to Member Introductions and tell us your story there.

There approx 4.6 thousand messages there, so you are in good company.

Brian

Look at something and five minutes later forgot everything

my memory is not as good as it used to be; my solution is that everything gets written down . If i'm reading up on something i take notes and they go straight onto an A4 note pad left of laptop. Another great thing i've starting using is a digital notes pad
Code:
Name            : xfce4-notes-plugin
Version         : 1.9.0-1
Description     : Notes plugin for the Xfce panel
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://docs.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-notes-plugin
you create a new note as needed then can flick though them

OK thanks for reply's.
Like the idea of digital note pad. I definitely leave to many paper notes around. Will check that out.

I have my old laptop with mint on it. I also like the idea of using the backup application on it and go ahead and jump into the command terminal and have at it. Nothing of value to lose.

Do not know why I have a fear of it. (Command Line). Freeze up and leave it alone. As I said before, I just think it is beyond me now. I will see if I can watch a couple more videos and just dive in.

Do any of you have any recommendations or favorite video learning for Linux.

I have talked about most video lessons being to fast. I mean they do not stop to explain in a slow demonstration that can be followed by a new Linux pupil. Why not do two, 10 minute videos instead of fast 12 minute videos. Just my 2 cents. I am sure those new to Linux can relate.

I will try and install some of the programs from the vendor themselves and will get the latest version also. See what happens.

will7mm

I just came across this add on.

It will run on either Chromium, Chrome, or Brave browser......or anything else that is based on Chromium or Chrome.

Read Aloud: A Text to Speech Voice Reader​

chrome.google.com

Read Aloud: A Text to Speech Voice Reader

Read aloud the current web-page article with one click, using text to speech (TTS). Supports 40+ languages.
chrome.google.com
chrome.google.com

It has over 2,000,000 users

Members online