Solus vs Manjaro

It takes a little time, but the journey also teaches various installation methods, partitioning, differences between BIOS and UEFI, sometimes a bit about proprietary drivers, differences between desktop environments, differences between package management systems (yum, apt, pacman, etc), and so on. It is not an overnight journey... but the time you take with these early lessons is well spent.

I have been using Ubuntu 14.04 from 2014 or so and this year I have learned that Debian based distros are not always stable. I also learned that I can't install Debian from the netinstaller ISO because I made some fudge up with the mirrors. Fortunately I also learned after that, that Lubuntu is so easy to install, that even I could manage it.

Lastly that give it a wrong version of a program it freezes solid, try a newer version of the same program and it works without any problems.

@lekkerlinux
Ok the before mentioned Laptop I just picked up today did not like Solus KDE at all, I know Solus Budgie will run on it because the teeny weeny notebook runs Solus Budgie without a hitch and it is well below the suggested minimum requirements. I would pick 1 of the 3 stable DE's of Solus over the testing unstable KDE.

@lekkerlinux
Ok the before mentioned Laptop I just picked up today did not like Solus KDE at all, I know Solus Budgie will run on it because the teeny weeny notebook runs Solus Budgie without a hitch and it is well below the suggested minimum requirements. I would pick 1 of the 3 stable DE's of Solus over the testing unstable KDE.

Yes that sounds like a good idea. I did try KDE with a Debian 9 based distro and the boot up and shut down was slow, but once it got going it worked flawlessly. Budgie looks great too, without being too heavy.

I have about 7 usable GB of RAM and a 2 GB graphics card (ddr3) with and AMD A10 APU that had four cores, so it will most likely run Budgie.

Thanks very much for all the advice, I only have one PC and have been hopping around this year from Ubuntu 14.04 to Debian 9, back to Ubuntu 14.04 because Debian 9 got wrecked and ended up with Lubuntu 18.04 LTS, I am using now. So, i have some distro hop fatigue. When I am rested I will definitely try Solus 4 Budgie.

Michael Larabel has run a company called Phoronix since he was just out of high school. His benchmarking suite can be installed on most Linuxes.

He has this article from 2017, features both KDE and Budgie as well as the usual

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubu-1704-desktops&num=1

Enjoy your Linux

Wiz

Thanks for the head up, Wizard! KDE looks pretty and so does Budgie, but I will rather go with MATE when I try out Solus 4. I have gone from KDE to LXDE this year and like speed of boot up and shut down over a pretty desktop environment.

Mate I try not to have Faves, because I make a lot of recommendations to a lot of people in an effort to find what really suits ... them.

But MATE is definitely one of my faves. :)

Keep us posted.

Wiz

@lekkerlinux

Just some feedback. I installed Solus 4 MATE. Rhythmbox don't work, as well as some other programs like Xiphos. I tried to install Brasero from the software center in Solus but it installs but don't launch. How can I erase a DVD in Solus?

Try both?

I tried Solus 4 MATE today and Rhythmbox, Xithos and sometimes even my 3G connection don't work on Solus. I even installed Brasero from the software center and it won't launch at all. I wanted to erase a DVD, to burn Antergos to it. The only distro that worked the best on my PC this year was Lubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Lekker, indulge me and remind me the size of your hard drive.

Better is to give us the output of an inxi command. If inxi is not installed on your Distro, then

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install inxi

... will provide same.

Then, the first command is for you to save the output for a handy reference

Code:
inxi -Fxs

But that shows us everything including your MAC (internet/network) addresses. So for us, use

Code:
inxi -Fxz

... the "z" aids in privacy by filtering out the MAC stuff and other.

Cheers

Wizard

BTW if you have any external storage, plug it in before issuing inxi command

Using a RW-CD/DVD is not recommended. Try to use either an R only disk or a USB stick...

I must confess that I could not figure out how to install a flash burner like Rufus on my PC and the PC boots to the optical drive at first boot and I forgot how to change that.

I just installed Lubuntu again and downloaded Antergos and burned it to DVD with the Lubuntu program for that. Long story short, I now have Antergos Budgie and everything works so far. Some programs just failed to install at first, like AbiWord. I just tried again latter and it worked fine. The server must have been busy or down.

I hope this rolling release keeps on rolling. Thanks for the advice and feedback, Arochester.

Better is to give us the output of an inxi command. If inxi is not installed on your Distro, then

Code:

... will provide same.

Code:
inxi -Fxs

But that shows us everything including your MAC (internet/network) addresses. So for us, use

Code:
inxi -Fxz

Cheers

Wizard

Sorry Wizard, all of that is a bit complicated for me.

I went about solving the problem like I explained to Arochester. That song by Nirvana is stuck in my head. "I think I'm dumb."

Antergos is working very well so far. It is early days, but I like Antergos Budgie better than Lubuntu and it's easy to use too. They say "Antergos for everyone." I hope so.

I only have one desktop PC and am a bit reluctant to play around to much. Earlier this year I tread out a Debian based distro and it froze and broke beyond use. All I had late on a Friday evening was a CD with Ubuntu 14.04 on it from 2014. Had to install that and use it to download Lubuntu 18.04. Lubuntu is great on my 2012 PC, but a little too boring.

I have read a lot about Manjaro and Solus, but there are so many opinions. One guy wrote a review in which he called Solus the most stable rolling release Linux distribution. I can't member if that was before the Ikey guy left who started that project.

My biggest concern would be if the system breaks after a update, but at least I'll keep a CD of Lubuntu for a worse case scenario.

Solus looks like the most practical option because it has only what I need without many programs tapprrnhat I will never use.

Why not test your distros in a virtual machine. That way your host machine will be intact and you almost have nothing to lose if something negative happrnd to the distro in the VM

Why not test your distros in a virtual machine.

You are right again, Brolly. I just never figured out how to use virtual machine.

I have used Zorin 9 and 15, Q40S, Solus Budgie, Antergos Budgie, Manjaro XFCE and Gnome, Ubuntu 18.04 and lastly MX Linux.

I could not get every porgram I use to work on any of them.

I am now on Lubuntu 18.04 and everything works without fail, it's ugly but reliable.

You are right again, Brolly. I just never figured out how to use virtual machine.

I have used Zorin 9 and 15, Q40S, Solus Budgie, Antergos Budgie, Manjaro XFCE and Gnome, Ubuntu 18.04 and lastly MX Linux.

I could not get every porgram I use to work on any of them.

I am now on Lubuntu 18.04 and everything works without fail, it's ugly but reliable.

lol You are right. Lubuntu doesn't look particularly great by default but it makes up for its looks in many other ways. The top being speed. Virtual machines are easy peasy to use. Virtualbox is probably the go-to application for starters. It's a case of naming the VM selecting OS type, disk location, disk size, and amount of ram you want to allocate. When you press start. it asks you for your ISO file location, or you could simply point it to your disk drive. You will now be up and running and you can install and use your VM as if it is a conventional computer. Even better when you choose to see it in full screen. If you dont like it you can simply delete it. You can install as many VM's as your hard drive free space allows

Code:

... will provide same.

Code:
inxi -Fxs

Code:
inxi -Fxz

Cheers

Wizard

I tried installing Solus MATE again, since May last year and everything works now. Either I have gotten more tech-savvy or Solus improved very much. Probably the latter.

Hope the fires died down without too much flooding.

Members online

Latest posts