[SOLVED] Asus Zenbook 15 UX534F Realtek HD Audio Problem

cimenwd

Reaction score
Credits
I bought a new laptop "Asus Zenbook 15 ux534F". Sound cards microphone is working but I can't get sound from speaker. Please advise me a patch just because I must use Linux for my Phd. thesis about data mining soo Python and Anaconda is working wonderful in Ubuntu GNU/Linux

Yey. I couldn't see any fix at Linux 5.4. I'm still waiting about that fix. I have tried any silly ideas like "https://www.linux.org/threads/how-to-easily-fix-problems-with-the-sound-for-newbies.22729/" which thread that silly "rado84" opened up. Tried distros like;
Ubuntu
Mandrivalive
Debian
Fedora
Archlinux
Mint... etc.
Also tried to patch Realtek drivers to kernel. But there is no solution about that.
I'm a software engineer and trying to finish up my Phd. about data mining. I must try my experiments in Linux but It's soo difficult to not to hear up any music from my computer.
Really I desire to fix up but really I have a lot of work except Linux Firmware Patching

Last edited:
Yey. I couldn't see any fix at Linux 5.4. I'm still waiting about that fix. I have tried any silly ideas like "https://www.linux.org/threads/how-to-easily-fix-problems-with-the-sound-for-newbies.22729/" which thread that silly "rado84" opened up. Tried distros like;
Ubuntu
Mandrivalive
Debian
Fedora
Archlinux
Mint... etc.
Also tried to patch Realtek drivers to kernel. But there is no solution about that.
I'm a software engineer and trying to finish up my Phd. about data mining. I must try my experiments in Linux but It's soo difficult to not to hear up any music from my computer.
Really I desire to fix up but really I have a lot of work except Linux Firmware Patching
Hi, have you desided this problem for that time?

Can you give output of "lspci | grep -i Audio"

Also "lsmod | grep -i snd"

[Edit 15/06/2020 : fixed is on Archlinux Wiki and Ubuntu Bug tracker feed]

Hi I’ve the same unsolved issue with Ux534ftc do here is the lspci result.

As soon as I’ll have or ben helped to a solution I’ll try to document it on the Archlinux wiki page that I created for this laptop.

[@MaxPlanck ~]$ lspci | grep [Aa]udio
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 02c8

I've searched a lot, but I keep findings options such as :
- changing the "model=" option for "intel hda audio" kernel module, which I tried with various options such as 'laptop', 'asus-zenbook', 'auto', ... (option is taken by driver module verified in /sys/module/...).
- building part of the kernel with a so called "realtek patch" which as far as I can tell doesn't include yet my machine (by the way I'm not sure how to do that)
- I also have 'hdajackretask' but I can't manage to understand exactly what I'm supposed to do with it and even made it working properly

Intel HD Audio Issue :
- no sound neither on Speaker nor on Headphones
- integrated microphone working properly
- Bluetooth Audio and USB Audio external keys are ok (so global sound management seems ok)

Alsa Mixer : HDA Intel PCH with Realtek ALC294 (Pulse Audio Installed, PCM Mix Channel activated)

Vendor : Asus
Model : UX524FT
Cpu : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Ram : 16 Go
SSD : NVME Crucial P1 1To
GPU : Optimus/Bumbleed GTX1650 Max-Q

[@MaxPlanck ~]$ uname -a
Linux MaxPlanck 5.6.3-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 08 Apr 2020 07:47:16 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[@MaxPlanck ~]$ cat /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/moel
auto,(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null)

[@MaxPlanck ~]$ cat /proc/asound/pcm
00-00: USB Audio : USB Audio : playback 1 : capture 1
01-00: ALC294 Analog : ALC294 Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
01-03: HDMI 0 : HDMI 0 : playback 1
01-07: HDMI 1 : HDMI 1 : playback 1
01-08: HDMI 2 : HDMI 2 : playback 1
01-09: HDMI 3 : HDMI 3 : playback 1
01-10: HDMI 4 : HDMI 4 : playback 1

[@MaxPlanck ~]$ hwinfo --sound
18: PCI 1f.3: 0403 Audio device
[Created at pci.386]
Unique ID: nS1_.9G5mT1GK4nF
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3
SysFS BusID: 0000:00:1f.3
Hardware Class: sound
Model: "Intel Audio device"
Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
Device: pci 0x02c8
SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
SubDevice: pci 0x1a61
Driver: "snd_hda_intel"
Driver Modules: "snd_hda_intel"
Memory Range: 0xc4318000-0xc431bfff (rw,non-prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xc4100000-0xc41fffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
IRQ: 148 (833 events)
Module Alias: "pci:v00008086d000002C8sv00001043sd00001A61bc04sc03i80"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: snd_hda_intel is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_hda_intel"
Driver Info #1:
Driver Status: snd_soc_skl is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_soc_skl"
Driver Info #2:
Driver Status: snd_sof_pci is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_sof_pci"
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

[@MaxPlanck ~]$ dmesg | grep "HDA"
[ 3.158314] input: HDA Intel PCH Headset Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card1/input21
[ 3.158356] input: HDA Intel PCH Headphone as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card1/input22
[ 3.158397] input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card1/input23
[ 3.158431] input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=7 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card1/input24
[ 3.158497] input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=8 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card1/input25
[ 3.158549] input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=9 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card1/input26
[ 3.158588] input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=10 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card1/input27

Last edited:
By the way I’ve written this question about ALC294 on the Alsa user mailings list.

I don't understand the Linux audio system but I’m an electronic (hardware & software) Engineer and thus I'm a C/C++/Python programmer both on micro controllers and embedded linux (Beaglebone/Raspberry Pi), so I can try to be relatively proactive in testing the various solutions.

Last edited:
Hello, I got an Asus 534F too. I got the same problem: no sound.
I've try some distro:
pop!_os
Linux mint
Manjaro
Mx Linux
Elementary
Ubuntu

I got the same problem.
I've see some people compiled a kernel for a the same sound card: Realtek ALC294 with different Asus laptop:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/alc294-...ed-but-no-sound-internaly-or-headphones/54089

I'd never compiled a kernel, so I don't know if that work for our laptop.

I really want to kick out windows 10, but a laptop without sound is a pain.

If someone could help us, I'll be really gratefull.

Hi, well I've started working on it, since I'm using Archlinux which use a vanilla kernel, as up to date as humanly possible it's a good working plateform.

Currently, I'm a bit lazy since I've bluetooth audio receptor in my main room, and a 2€ USB Audio key (previously used on the linux board of an autonomous robot for the French Robotic Cup) on my desk... so let say I'm less in a hurry to fix that.

I've identified which file I need to modify (patch_realtek.c as far as I remember) and one possible modification to trigger the use of a specific fix for this particular model of computer, I may have to test many other fix configuration.... I hope one of the already available fix will do the trick because I'm not currently having nor enough knowledge to modify the register init values of the audio codec nor enough documentation on this specific implementation...

Basically, what I'm trying to do is to modify the audio driver for our UX534F implementation of the ALC294 HD Audio Intel. What I understand of this patch is that it will apply a specific pin & audio routing configuration to the codec for our specific audio board Vendor ID and ID.

Hopefully, I'll only have to build this very specific kernel module (driver hda_intel for audio) and not the entire kernel (30 min with some trick to the performance mode of the CPU offered by intel power drivers and 45 min without any modification, you may also need this cpu parameter set if you have a reasonable room temperature and heavy duty full multicore tasks on AV, it's useless for single core thermal dissipation of a single core at full speed is too high for that).

If I succeed I'll ask for my patch to be applied to the official kernel (I'll send a mail to the man who has done the last comits on this file).

In the mean time I sended a mail on the Alsa user mailing list, someone respond me to send my request on the Alsa dev mailing list (Alsa is the linux audio base system). In the mean time I found again the possible fix in the kernel module code, so I want to test it before sending my mail.

Also as soon as I'll find a fix (I hope sooner than later), I will update the Wiki page I created on archlinux.org Wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_Zenbook_UX534

I'll try to remember to post my progress here for you.

@Valere, thanks a lot.

I agree, it seems that we need to "link" our brand + modele in order to make the driver work.
I'm learning about kernel build at the moment. I think i'll try one during the week.
I've saw your post on wiki archlinux.
I hope you could make it!

I'm not fully sure of my test, however, it seems that the existing patch solutions are not working here (I built the hda-intel modules yesterday with various patch for ALC294/Asus, as far as my test gone, none of them fixed the issue). I'm going to subscribe to the Devel Asla Mailing list and try to developp the patch myself with the help of the experimented developers.

By the way many peoples reported the issue on Ubuntu bug tracker, the issue switched from "new" to "confirmed" because enough peoples reported it.

I' ve try rebuild 4 time the kernel with alsa mod but nothing work. I'm still on windows...I use WSL with an Ubuntu to code on linux. I hope ubuntu will make a fix

[Please, if a moderator can change the topic as "Fixed", I'm not the orignal editor but this contains the fix]

I managed to have full audio on UX534FTC under Archlinux Kernel 5.7.2 Vanilla, using the following command lines :

Bash:
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0x1b
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x4a4b
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0xf
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x74

Its from the bug tracking on Ubuntu Kernel bug tracker, some peoples used "iommu" to map the Audio Chipset PCI Group and a Virtual Mahcine With Windows to find the command sended by the Windows Driver.

Hello,
Tested Valere solution on Ubuntu, fix the issue. Just need to do it on each reboot.
To make it automatic:
create smal shell bash:
#!/bin/bash
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0x1b
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x4a4b
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0xf
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x74

And I've add it to cron => all fixed

Thanks a lot to Valere and the comunity

I did confirmed it on Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster), hda-verb commands works fine on kernel 4.19.0-10-amd64 on Asus ux534f

@Valere thanks a lot. I have an Asus Zenbook UX533F and this has been draving me crazy for months. Your solution works perfect, I'm so glad I found this thread.

I added it to cron as @saquiel suggested and it runs automatically, so thanks everybody!!!!

Hello,
Tested Valere solution on Ubuntu, fix the issue. Just need to do it on each reboot.
To make it automatic:
create smal shell bash:
#!/bin/bash
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0x1b
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x4a4b
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0xf
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x74

And I've add it to cron => all fixed

Thanks a lot to Valere and the comunity

Hi everyone. There might be an easier fix for this issue. I'm using Mint on an Asus Zenbook UX533F.
Had the same sound issue like everyone else. Simple fix for me:
1) disable fast boot in BIOS
2) disable fast boot in Windows
3) Shutdown (not restart)
4) boot into Linux

[Please, if a moderator can change the topic as "Fixed", I'm not the orignal editor but this contains the fix]

I managed to have full audio on UX534FTC under Archlinux Kernel 5.7.2 Vanilla, using the following command lines :

Bash:
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0x1b
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x4a4b
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0xf
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x74

Its from the bug tracking on Ubuntu Kernel bug tracker, some peoples used "iommu" to map the Audio Chipset PCI Group and a Virtual Mahcine With Windows to find the command sended by the Windows Driver.

I registered just to say: Thank you!

This is great! However my microphone isn't working. Prior to running these scripts it was working I just couldn't hear audio through the speakers. Now the speakers are working but the microphone isn't. Anyone else have the same problem? I'm on the
ZenBook Pro Duo UX582LR_UX582LR

Ideas on how to fix this? FYI I"m a Linux noob.

Thanks

Last edited:

Members online