Solved-Audacity won't record- Solved

bkbertollini

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all, I am a newbie so please forgive if I ask something simple. I dumped Windows 10 for Linux Mint and am very pleased. My current issue is I have beeb digitizing my vinyl album collection using Audacity. The setup with Linux is different and I can't get it to record. The monitor gauge shows a signal coming in but nothing records. I am not sure how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Barry

I have Audacity installed on my Mint box and have had not problems recording with it. Did you install the 3rd party codecs when you did the mint install? If you did not try this. Go to synaptic package manger and search for
Code:
mint-meda-codecs
make sure that it is installed. If it is not install it. and try your recording again.

It is installed. It was one of the first things I did when changing over to Linux Mint. The ALSA setting shows up but no matter which input I select, no recording. The monitoring level moves as the record plays but it does not record. I am baffled.

Wait, I missed part of what you wrote, not enough coffee this morning. I'll try that. Thanks

OK, sorry about the confusion. So I checked in the package manager and it saysI have the multimedia codecs already installed. Any other suggestions. I am baffled.

So I just tried again, after doing so for an hour yesterday, and it works fine. Thanks for the help. I don't know what changed but don't care, it works. Thanks

I don't know what changed but don't care, it works. Thanks

It's great that it works - but you should probably care.

See, you're going to hose your OS and have poor backups, meaning you'll have to go through all of this again - starting with a nice clean installation.

It's gonna happen. Knowing what was wrong, and now what is correct, will save you some time when you rebuild your system. It's a part of the Linux journey. We've all hosed our systems beyond repair and had to do clean installations. Some of us have done many, many clean installs.

And, no... No, it's not a Linux fault that this happens. It's purely our fault. A decent distro will just keep chugging along, so long as you don't go screwing with it.

Yeah, but it's fun - and new (to you).

Just like y'all had to learn to use Windows, so too must you learn to use Linux. They're visually similar these days, 'cause you have fancy GUIs for most everything you'd want to do, but underneath they're wildly different operating systems - with entirely different philosophies behind them.

Windows has come a long ways at making things 'user-proof', with things like a built in way to restore a broken operating system. You no longer really need to install Windows all that much, but you used to. You can do similar with Linux - with tools like TimeShift. If you don't go messing with the underlying system, you'll likely have fewer breakages - but that's also fewer learning opportunities.

It's a fun journey to learn Linux. Once you get proficient, you can help other people - thus perpetuating the system.

We've all hosed our systems beyond repair and had to do clean installations.
Not me. I'm perfect.

Haha, psych! Had you going there for a few milliseconds, didn't I?

@bkbertollini , if you would be so kind as to mark this thread [solved], we'll all love you forever.

Haha, psych! Had you going there for a few milliseconds, didn't I?

Nah, I know better. Though it has been a while, even I've reached the point where a clean install was the only realistic solution. Heck, these days I only backup specific data.

I would be happy to mark it solved. How do I do that. I don't see a button or icon. or do I just say solved. Told ya, total newbie.

I would be happy to mark it solved. How do I do that. I don't see a button or icon. or do I just say solved. Told ya, total newbie.
Click the elispis (...) next to the Unwatch button and select "Edit Thread." Then prepend the title with '[Solved]'

Glad it's working for you :)

Members online

Latest posts