[SOLVED] Best hardware (build) for linux

VladDorn1234

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone, Well, I decided why not just get a new mobo, graphics card, and cpu. What combo would be the absolute best for performance ? something that the hardware is very well supported no screen tearing and not having to edit lots of params in
grub and such? i would like it to be intel based. any recommendations? i have 16 gb of ddr3 1600 memory already and a 500 w psu id like to keep. my current hardware I have tried so many fixes and i seem to have some "worst ever" type of hardware that just isnt very compatible and i was going to sell these items anyway so why not get it right this time and get the ultimate linux computer.

I don't understand your question. Are you new to Linux in general or..?

Linux distro's can run on practically anything really.There is always something that will work . Purchasing a machine for one said purpose isn't wise .What distro did you install on your current machine and what exactly went wrong? What exactly are you looking for from this ultimate Linux machine I mean sure in theory it will sound cool but there are certain things you won't really get right the 1st time around .If you looking for a machine to learn about computing or Linux in general then I would say stick with your current setup , if you want a machine to run games (hard core gamer) then sadly I would say Linux isn't for you .It's a lovely experience to run Linux but you must understand you need to know what you going to use it for . Purchasing a machine purely based on running Linux isn't something somebody does because I'm pretty sure the guys here can help you setup a distro on your current machine. with that said , if we move away from operating systems and we had to ask ourselves what type of machine should I get to have the least amount of issues then it would be a different thing all together .A better question .So what exactly will you require this machine for?

Linux distro's can run on practically anything really.There is always something that will work . Purchasing a machine for one said purpose isn't wise .What distro did you install on your current machine and what exactly went wrong? What exactly are you looking for from this ultimate Linux machine I mean sure in theory it will sound cool but there are certain things you won't really get right the 1st time around .If you looking for a machine to learn about computing or Linux in general then I would say stick with your current setup , if you want a machine to run games (hard core gamer) then sadly I would say Linux isn't for you .It's a lovely experience to run Linux but you must understand you need to know what you going to use it for . Purchasing a machine purely based on running Linux isn't something somebody does because I'm pretty sure the guys here can help you setup a distro on your current machine. with that said , if we move away from operating systems and we had to ask ourselves what type of machine should I get to have the least amount of issues then it would be a different thing all together .A better question .So what exactly will you require this machine for?
I THINK what he meant is "what hardware will work as close as possible as "out of a box" and with minimal frustrations with HAVING to get drivers for?".

Aren't there hardware that just stinks with Linux just like most Wifi dongles I tried using (even those "rated" for use in Linux Mint)? And those that you can plug and forget or at least require no more than a simple installed driver or two?

Most distro's come with drivers already installed.
I'll give you an example .My laptop is about 4 years + old with Intel4000 graphics , getting it on my Debian(pc) and ubuntu(laptop) was a mission and to this day I can't get the exact driver to work even though I know the source code is somewhere .So instead of using the Intel driver for a for the exact card I'm using a generic which works pretty well. Most people do thth however if you using Nvidia then it will be slightly different and because of this new users will have a little trouble if they don't want to use the built-in driver. Standard intel will use the modesetting default (xorg) so it's different.Im using graphics as an example simply because he said Screen tearing .So with that we ask ourselves which distro has the most support and the answer to that depending on how you look at it Ubuntu , Suse and Arch .

Again , I could be wrong here and there but that's just a general idea. He wants something that has the most support so it's more about what distro to use more than what hardware to get .

https://www.linux.org/threads/hardw...-distros-grahcical-ethernet.21257/#post-62512
this is the problem i am having with tearing, so far no one has been of much help to me

What I would suggest is to take a look at some desktops that are built for Linux see what hardware is used.

Graphics cards and Processor based integrated graphics at least the newer and newest are going to be the biggest obsticle for Linux.

Open source drivers for most of these Graphics cards and Processor based integrated graphics are not yet available and if they are there are several bugs that come with the opensource drivers used for these cards / adapters.

This is why I would research the custom computer builders who build Linux computers and see what hardware is used and what Linux distros are used.

https://zareason.com/Desktops/

https://system76.com/desktops

I've always had good Linux experiences using ATI Radeon Graphics Cards although that being said my computers are 8 year old and 10 year old Frankenstein builds.

I don't care for Nvidia and after meltdown / spectre don't trust Intel products although still use the already owned Intel products I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately this seems to be an unsolvable problem with certain graphics cards / integrated graphics adapters and Linux.
Thank you. I would say you solved my question. I will look into some of their builds and also look into other graphics cards that way i can keep my system hopefully and just sell the graphics card for an equivalent that will be better compatible.

Members online