""solved"" Can’t install Linux Ubuntu

Stas

Reaction score
Credits
Hello I installed Linux Ubuntu next to Linux Manjaro but when I trying to login in Linux Ubuntu I have message:

error: no such device: 9d6b3069-5424-40c1-b37d-e8bfe055bde9.
error: file "/boot/vmlinuz-5.8.0-53-generic "
error not found: you need to load the kernel first. Press any key to continue…

What can I do with it?

Last edited:

can you still boot up and login to manjaro ?

Did you run updates on Manjaro ; did you see any mention of kernel being updated in manajaro ?

come to the Linux Org forums

We are an un-associated, Independent advice a site for those in need of help with installation problems, those wanting a deeper understanding of Linux and Tech's needing more advanced advice,

We are a voluntary organisation our members are scattered across the four corners of the world and every time zone, so please accept that you may not get a quick answer.

Just a few things to remember
We are an international board so we ask that all post be in English [if you think your English is not very good , fine give it a try or use one of the translator programs [ DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator is recommended]
When asking for help
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 18.1]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

Finally Linux is not Windows, It will require the newcomer to invest a little time and effort going through a learning curve so please don’t give up, kick off your shoes, grab a drink and enjoy the ride.

Bwiz
Did you check the integrity of your download and check sum prior to burning the installation medium?

can you still boot up and login to manjaro ?

Did you run updates on Manjaro ; did you see any mention of kernel being updated in manajaro ?

When I put "boot from manjaro" in the bios, ubuntu does not work, but manjaro works. If I put "boot from ubuntu" in the bios, then ubuntu works, but manjaro does not work.

Manjaro is based on Arch, which is what i'm now running but not its got some quirks. I read its using a customized version of grub.

Since you installed Ubuntu after Manjaro ; i would have thought Ubuntu would have installed grub and the boot menu context would be from Ubuntu.

When I put "boot from manjaro" in the bios, ubuntu does not work, but manjaro works. If I put "boot from ubuntu" in the bios, then ubuntu works, but manjaro does not work.
is your PC uefi and you have a FAT 32 esp partition ? From ubuntu you can try sudo update-grub

Did you try it from within Ubuntu as @captain-sensible suggested? What were the results from that command?

You can also try boot-repair, which should search for multiple operating systems and try to fix the boot.

There's also an application called 'grub-customizer', though it is pretty advanced - but well documented.

@KGIII
There's also an application called 'grub-customizer', though it is pretty advanced - but well documented.

I've read Manjaro is using some form of customized grub and i've also seen that maybe due to that customization that Manajaro users shouldn't touch grub-customizer

Some sites don't correctly show the date something was posted- so that may be current or old and not applicable[/QUOTE]

Did you try it from within Ubuntu as @captain-sensible suggested? What were the results from that command?

Result from this command is:
Code:
Sourcing file '/etc/default/grub ' 
Sourcing file '/etc/default/grub.d/init-select. cfg' 
A grub configuration file is generated 
linux image found: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-22-generic 
initrd image found: / boot/initrd. img-5.11.0-22-generic 
linux image found: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-16-generic 
initrd image found: / boot/initrd. img-5.11.0-16-generic 
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi 
Found Manjaro Linux (21.0.7) on /dev/sda4
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings 

completed

Now I can use ubuntu.
Glad to see your fixed up.. please edit the title of your first post to include ""solved""

I don't know for sure if I have uefi and FAT32, but I executed the command that you wrote
yes your motherboard is uefi and you have an efi on parition /dev/sda IF I looked at your boot repair output correctly

After that, everything worked for me! Now I can use ubuntu.

boot-repair is a pretty awesome tool to have in your Linux toolbox.

just tried it from Ventoy ; it boots up fine. Release says bionic beaver 18.0x

so i now have these to choose from on same stick "

ISO
├── boot-repair-disk-64bit.iso
├── clonezilla-live-20200703-focal-amd64.iso
├── ophcrack-vista-livecd-3.6.0.iso
├── ophcrack-xp-livecd-3.6.0.iso
├── rescatux-0.73.iso
└── super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.04s1.iso

Members online

Latest posts