[SOLVED] Can't get usb WiFi adapter to work. (Pop os)

masak1

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I've wasted too many hours on this and decided to make a post. Sorry for the images, I'm writing this on a phone! And I'm using Pop os on the last version that was available in the download page (NVIDIA).

I was able to download the driver however the installation had some errors. I installed it through another computer using Winget (terminal).

My WiFi adapter is the TP-Link Archer T2U PLUS
When I ran `lsusb` it had this: [RTL8821AU] next to the name... I this because I installed the driver? I read that the driver supported this type of chipset
IMG_20221218_180108.jpg

How I installed the driver: (removed first to get the error again)
IMG_20221218_180033.jpg

No matter what I did, it just didn't work.
IMG_20221218_180145.jpg

I need some serious help or I don't think I'll be able to use Linux at all

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums, you will be able to a Linux distribution, whether it is Pop or one of the others,
first let me say POP is NOT a full Ubuntu distribution, it is assembled for System76's own computers, and therefore only carries drivers needed by their kit, If it works out of the box first time , it can be a good [but no better than] other distribution's, if it doesn't work well out of the box, then it can be a right pain in the rear to get it going.

To confirm which chipset you need, please run from the terminal inxi -Nn and paste back the full results, you will need internet access to download and install the drivers correctly, either hard-wired to the router or by using your phone teatherd to the computer
you may need to install inxi from the repository.

Before you buy anything check it out at h-node for compatibility with Linux.

https://h-node.org/hardware/catalogue/en

As for graphics drivers just try the standard free neuvaux which I use without issue across three old disparate laptops and one CAD workstation

Good Luck :cool:

ps should all fail try installing ZorinOS where everything seems to work straight out of the box on default settings – without touching or tweaking a thing :)

This might help to identify your problems…?
H-node TP-Link.jpg
;)

Welcome to the forums, you will be able to a Linux distribution, whether it is Pop or one of the others,
first let me say POP is NOT a full Ubuntu distribution, it is assembled for System76's own computers, and therefore only carries drivers needed by their kit, If it works out of the box first time , it can be a good [but no better than] other distribution's, if it doesn't work well out of the box, then it can be a right pain in the rear to get it going.

To confirm which chipset you need, please run from the terminal inxi -Nn and paste back the full results, you will need internet access to download and install the drivers correctly, either hard-wired to the router or by using your phone teatherd to the computer
Hello and thanks!

In the post I explained how I downloaded the drivers with another computer but if that is no good, understood.
I am writing this through my computer, Thanks a lot! The phone trick worked after all!

I installed inxi successfully and this is the result I got:
Code:
masak1@pop-os:~$ inxi -Nn
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    driver: r8169
  IF: enp10s0 state: down mac: 24:4b:fe:cf:46:31
  IF-ID-1: enx3668d8b1bd2d state: unknown speed: -1 duplex: half
    mac: 36:68:d8:b1:bd:2d

By the way I forgot to mention that I Device 1 is the one supposed to work. Not sure if that's relevant or not
Oh and my other message is awaiting moderator approval.. I guess? I just said "done what now"

your inxi report has disappeared
device 1 is your PCI ethernet card
If you have a wi-fi card internally or a usb wi-fi dongle, it will show as device 2

to show you what I mean, I have plugged a non-working dongle into my desktop and this is my report

Network:
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex:
Device-2: Realtek RTL8188FTV 802.11b/g/n 1T1R 2.4G WLAN Adapter type: USB
driver: r8188eu
IF: wlx00e04c818802 state: down

Oh yeah that post is still invisible and awaiting moderation... weird.
Anyway I just said that it's the exact same as earlier...
Here:
Code:
Network:
  IF: enp10s0 state: down mac: 24:4b:fe:cf:46:31
  IF-ID-1: enxee230545e12f state: unknown speed: -1 duplex: half
    mac: ee:23:05:45:e1:2f

I think it's the same as earlier...
By the way I've seen a few posts that all recommend using the driver from aircrack. But then again... I couldn't get it to work

The RTL8169 is the correct driver for your Ethernet, it will show as down unless it is hard-wired to the internet, at the moment you are not showing wi-fi card connected,
[I am going off line now for a while..even Wizards have to eat and I have been monitoring this and other forum for the last 11 hours] Hast lavista

The RTL8169 is the correct driver for your Ethernet, it will show as down unless it is hard-wired to the internet, at the moment you are not showing wi-fi card connected,
[I am going off line now for a while..even Wizards have to eat and I have been monitoring this and other forum for the last 11 hours] Hast lavista
Okay! I'll use my phone for the time being... I already downloaded the drive you gave me so IDK haha (I think its conflicting with the one i added before.. who knows..)

Anyway take your time! We can solve this later, thanks.

OK then I'm Back [fed and watered]
Had a thought,, Have you installed your Pop Os direct to the hard drive, or have you installed it in a virtual box/machine

OK then I'm Back [fed and watered]
Had a thought,, Have you installed your Pop Os direct to the hard drive, or have you installed it in a virtual box/machine
okay so after a bit of tweaking here and there. I found that I actually needed the rtl8812au drivers and that they previously did not work because I didn't have wifi.
I ended up using aircrack-ng's.

I didn't know I had to have wifi start the drivers even after cloning the github! Anyway I actually got it working by using the wifi from my phone with usb tethering.

Thanks for your help, also it's on my hard drive.

Well done, I hope you don't have any other problems, If you're now happy, please go back to your first post and add "solved to the title

Pop it’s from a administration pop gmail in Manuel Alvarado panels.

Members online

Latest posts