[SOLVED] cURL with SSL dependency problems with libssl.so and libcrypto.so

V

Vijay Kanta

I recently installed Ubuntu 64bit and completed the LAMP stack installation with both cURL and openSSL with few commands. When I try the same in the 32 bit Ubuntu, the installation fails at the point when we type 'make' for cURL.

Code:
openSSL (success)
./configure enable-shared
make
make install
cURL
./configure --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl --with-zlib
make
ERROR:
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libssl.so.1.0.0, needed by ../lib/.libs/libcurl.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libcrypto.so.1.0.0, needed by ../lib/.libs/libcurl.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)

The two so files do reside in the /usr/local/ssl directory, but I don't know how to solve this issue.

So the linker is not finding libssl.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0. The files libssl.so and libcrypto.so should be links to each of these files. Are you sure all of those files are in /usr/local/ssl ? That they are linked correctly? Are you sure the 32 bit versions of those libraries are installed?

Try adding /usr/local/ssl to /etc/ld.so.conf and running
ldconfig -v

Yes, the two files are there. There is no distinction as to whether they are 32 or 64bit versions, because OpenSSL never gave me an option. It was just a tarball.

Also, I added the entry to the ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig -v which gave me out a big list of shared objects but few are missing from the terminal head.

Should I now try installing everything again?

One thing I noticed in the cURL's config.log

Code:
./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I did this after doing the following

Code:
env CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib" LIBS="-lcrypto -lssl" ./configure --with-ssl=/home/user/openssl-1.0.1e --with-zlib

I resolved the issue.

It was so silly of me to overlook cURL's website documentation. All I had to do was pass in the environment variable for the run time linker to use the shared libraries before configure.

Code:
env LDFLAGS=-R/usr/local/ssl/lib ./configure --with-ssl --with-zlib
..and it worked without any issues. I now have https support in even Ubuntu 32bit. Here's the documentation link http://curl.haxx.se/docs/install.html

Staff online

Members online